Tanking

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Tanking

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Grinde wrote:You guys are really making me rethink my decision on warrior...

I have no intentions on raising. It COULD happen, but I doubt it. I want to tank, and I want to be a tank through the leveling up process. As a warrior, I understand I can do it as any spec as I level, as a Druid I'd need to be feral bear, and as a paladin I'm not quite sure, but I'm guessing prot. Warrior from what is gather, I'd probably level as arms/fury and switch to
Prot for "ease".

Also, from what I read, all of the above are fine for 5-mans, which is probably more towards my gaming speed.

I don't really mind what class I play, I just want to tank. Not heal (if I wanted to do that I'd be a priest). I should add that I don't have any characters to level ten yet, so this is essentially my first character. I realize we all have biases, but does anyone have any wisdom on the route to go?

You will enjoy tanking much more as a Paladin if all you intend to do is tank 5 man dungeons - Paladin AOE tanking makes you an asset to have because you can basically do speed runs for friends and guild mates.

As for the 11 / 9 / 31 spec that I personally use here on Nostalrius, this is it:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxzZVuZxf0tdfqo

This is not exactly what I used on Warsong due to several bugs that are here on Nost (i.e.: Benediction, Sanctity Aura) but I currently either tank or pew pew in all 5man dungeons and LBRS/UBRS.
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JCarrill0 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Theloras wrote:As for the 11 / 9 / 31 spec that I personally use here on Nostalrius, this is it:

Nice, but why not Div Int > Spi Focus?
If Bene is out, you would want anything to help that mana pool yes?

PS -
Theloras wrote:This is not exactly what I used on Warsong due to several bugs that are here on Nost (i.e.: Benediction, Sanctity Aura) but I currently either tank or pew pew in all 5man dungeons and LBRS/UBRS.

Watch out Duki will report ya for advertising...
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:55 pm

JCarrill0 wrote:
Theloras wrote:As for the 11 / 9 / 31 spec that I personally use here on Nostalrius, this is it:

Nice, but why not Div Int > Spi Focus?
If Bene is out, you would want anything to help that mana pool yes?

PS -
Theloras wrote:This is not exactly what I used on Warsong due to several bugs that are here on Nost (i.e.: Benediction, Sanctity Aura) but I currently either tank or pew pew in all 5man dungeons and LBRS/UBRS.

Watch out Duki will report ya for advertising...

Spiritual Focus because if my team needs a healer, I can simply switch gear on the fly and have 100% uninterruptible heals with SF and Concentration Aura - Divine Int is lacklustre for how I roll 99% of the time as I have little to no Int on gear when I tank or pew pew.
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JCarrill0 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Theloras wrote:Spiritual Focus because if my team needs a healer, I can simply switch gear on the fly and have 100% uninterruptible heals with SF and Concentration Aura - Divine Int is lacklustre for how I roll 99% of the time as I have little to no Int on gear when I tank or pew pew.

Sorry, this will be a bit offtopic then....I been having issues with this
I'm having to deal with push back when I get heal aggro.
Aura: Con
Blessing: Wisdom
Spec: (Currently), (Future)
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Grinde » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:18 pm

So, theo, if I go paladin, where do you recommend I put my stats as I level?
Justyce - 7 Dwarf Palatank
Grinde
Grunt
Grunt

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Grinde wrote:So, theo, if I go paladin, where do you recommend I put my stats as I level?

As you level up, I would put 11 points into Holy and go:

5/5 Imp Str
5/5 Spiritual Focus
1/1 Consecration

Then you can start to put talents into either the Prot tree to go full tank spec or into the Ret tree to function as either Tank or DPS - I personally went the latter as Pursuit of Justice is just a better overall talent to have while levelling in order to have +8% run/mount speed.

Find what works best for you though and try some different talent variations to see what fits your play style - this is simply how I roll - but feel free to find your optimal setup.
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by St0rfan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 am

smilkovpetko wrote:
St0rfan wrote:- Paladin, Most fun tank in 5mans with consecration (no taunt sucks though). Also gotta drink water all the time.

Yes i drink too much mana here as paladin tank in high end raid :) i like when some sort of knowledge is spreading among people ... You look like JCarroll here . sadly but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_YEl0Yp8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovC3fkojlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXV1lqIJr9w

There is your mana drinking all the time :) because i never drink mana during raids as pala tank.

Cheers to Theloras for making his effort to explain them on easy mode.

Even so, the main problems stems from the fact that paladins cant taunt. This becomes an issue on many fights in most raids since alot of tactics and abilities revolve around tanks being forced to taunt off bosses from each other because of stacking debuffs etc. BWL is indeed a prime example here. Anyways, paladin tanks can indeed do great things but people need to know that you simply wont be able to tank alot of encounters as paladins, leaving you in either the role of a healer or having to bring a nightfall axe (both roles which does fill its own purposes ofcourse).

Theloras wrote:
St0rfan wrote:You cant buy TF on Emerald Dream, never could (unless corrupt GM/Admins?), but you know this since you came from there aswell. Warsong on the other hand you can buy pretty much everything.

I never played on ED, I played on Warsong where everyone and their dog had a Thunderfury...except me of course because I enjoy the challenge!

I mixed up your name with someone with a similar name. I have however read your retribution guide and followed it on my own paladin, which also is retribution:)
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Grinde » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 am

Started my Paladin last night. A lot faster than warrior at low levels! Is there anywhere that lists when I get access to certain abilities? I looked at paly trainer at level 3 or 4 yesterday and none of the ones you listed were there.
Justyce - 7 Dwarf Palatank
Grinde
Grunt
Grunt

by smilkovpetko » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 am

St0rfan wrote:
smilkovpetko wrote:
St0rfan wrote:- Paladin, Most fun tank in 5mans with consecration (no taunt sucks though). Also gotta drink water all the time.

Yes i drink too much mana here as paladin tank in high end raid :) i like when some sort of knowledge is spreading among people ... You look like JCarroll here . sadly but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_YEl0Yp8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovC3fkojlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXV1lqIJr9w

There is your mana drinking all the time :) because i never drink mana during raids as pala tank.

Cheers to Theloras for making his effort to explain them on easy mode.

Even so, the main problems stems from the fact that paladins cant taunt. This becomes an issue on many fights in most raids since alot of tactics and abilities revolve around tanks being forced to taunt off bosses from each other because of stacking debuffs etc. BWL is indeed a prime example here. Anyways, paladin tanks can indeed do great things but people need to know that you simply wont be able to tank alot of encounters as paladins, leaving you in either the role of a healer or having to bring a nightfall axe (both roles which does fill its own purposes ofcourse).

Theloras wrote:
St0rfan wrote:You cant buy TF on Emerald Dream, never could (unless corrupt GM/Admins?), but you know this since you came from there aswell. Warsong on the other hand you can buy pretty much everything.

I never played on ED, I played on Warsong where everyone and their dog had a Thunderfury...except me of course because I enjoy the challenge!

I mixed up your name with someone with a similar name. I have however read your retribution guide and followed it on my own paladin, which also is retribution:)

Paladins does 2 times more agro than warriors , especially when it comes to undead fights. (only if you use strong spell damage weapon,sp ench on weapon , sp consumes)

You said fights require Taunt..

Only one fight in game require "mandatory" taunt and that is 4 horsemen.. (which can still be done with pala tank in tricky way using original tactic).

be specific and tell me which fight you recall as "taunt" fight.?

i have done all fights in game that exist so please tell me specific fight so ill let you know.

you mention bwl stacking debuff but you forgotten wing buffet there :

Wing Buffet: Knocks back the target, doing damage and reducing aggro.
As with all BWL fights, it is important to manage aggro heavily here as wing buffet reduces the aggro on the tank who is hit by it. In a perfect kill the MT will never take a buffet and will be able to keep ahead of aggro, however if he does get hit by one aggro can get finicky later in the fight.

you know that you can sort the timing and this is automatic taunt toward paladin.

The fight require minimum of 2 tanks
(build agro as paladin main tank , within half time let the warrior taunt of you , hide behind to reset stacks , run near warrior tank, wing buffet happen to warrior , boss is automaticly on paladin tank again) .

Game itself is made for every tank .
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by St0rfan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Okay, I wouldnt go so far as to say these are impossible without taunt, however being able to taunt greatly reduce their difficulty.

- ZG spiderboss
- ZG Bloodlord Mandokir
- ZG jindo
- ZG Hakkar
- MC Ragnaros
- BWL Vaelstrasz (MT dies, boss turns and starting to massacre melee)
- BWL Firemaw
- BWL Flamegor
- BWL Ebonroc
- BWL Chromaggus
- AQ40 Skeram splits
- AQ40 Twin Emperors
- AQ40 Ouro

- Naxx, no idea as I havnt raided it at lvl60.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanics and classes