Buff Stacking

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Buff Stacking

by Haitharn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:28 pm

So I have a question, and I can't seem to find an answer with solid proof. Currently on Nostalrius, one cannot apply the Elixer of Greater Intellect with the mage intellect buff, and receive both benefits. They both show up on the buff list, but the stronger one takes advantage.

For example, I 5000 mana. I use an Elixer of Greater Intellect to increase my intellect by 25. I now have 5250 mana. I then have my mage friend apply Arcane Intellect to me, to increase my intellect by 31. I now have 5310. The lower powered is overwritten by the stronger one. This same thing works with Elixer of the Sages, Divine Spirit, and scrolls.

I am not sure if it is supposed to work like this, or not. All I can find is a video of another private server saying that buff stacking works correctly, which is the same way I explained above. My question is, should elixers and class buffs stack?

Thanks for reading, can't wait to see a good answer with proof :D
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Buff Stacking

by Robotron » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:34 pm

I believe it's intended that most buffs with only a few exceptions cannot stack.
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by Undertanker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 pm

Back in 2005 scrolls would not stack. But were useful in 5 mans if certain class was not there so you can still have the buff. As for the exilirs that I am not sure. I was not 100% try hard back then as I am todau.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Astixium » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:05 am

Buff stacking works corretly. Thank you for your time.
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by loomdun » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:22 am

They actually buffed stacking more then it was back in retail, because back in retail vanilla WoW, having like say a mage cast arcane intellect would dispel your pot off you, if it gave less int, even if it's duration was longer then the mages buff still
loomdun
Private
Private

by Haitharn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Does anyone have a list of what buffs and potions stack? Or is there no such thing? Also any proof from blizzard that buffs worked this way in vanilla? Curious
Haitharn
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by anrey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:53 am

I've tried make that list but it's too hard for me but it's one toy rule, in most cases, buffs with same type of bonuses doesn't stack like pally shadow res aura and priest shadow res buff, lower buff must don't able to cast on unit with more powerful same buff, but if buff have few bonuses you will have only that you don't have.
But it's few exceptions when buff will stack like priest stam buff and warlok imps blood pact and maybe few more that i don't know.
anrey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Everything works properly (except maybe the behavior of the scrolls / class buffs when used : replacement / no replacement etc.), the only buff-stacking-related bug currently unfixed being the Winterfall Firewater stacking with the Juju's Migh melee component on Nostalrius, while it wasn't the case on retail.

Other than that, everything's intended :).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by forlorn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 pm

forlorn
Private
Private

Return to Mechanics and classes