Retarded Theorycrafting

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Retarded Theorycrafting

by Mage21 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:52 pm

What would happen if you managed to level-up to 60 with your defense skill still on 1?

Then ofc only do pvp so it remains at 1/300...

Would it increase the enemies critchance towards you? Like insane much?

How would benefit you?

Reckoning / enrage

Will it be Worth it? No, but just an retarded idea i had and would like to know if someone got "major" defense skill knowledge
Mage21
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Retarded Theorycrafting

by Tyraeus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Mage21 wrote:What would happen if you managed to level-up to 60 with your defense skill still on 1?

How would benefit you?

Reckoning / enrage

Will it be Worth it? No, but just an retarded idea i had and would like to know if someone got "major" defense skill knowledge

Tyraeus
Grunt
Grunt

by Arev » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 pm

from WoWwiki:

"Weapon skills are maxed in PvP combat. This means leveling a weapon skill for pvp is unimportant; when attacking an enemy player, your Weapon Skill will always be considered to be your level * 5, and your target's Defense will always be treated as his level * 5 (before any Defense Rating from your target's gear is added in).

Weapon skill does not affect your chance to hit other players in the battlegrounds or in the arena, but it still affects your hit chance against enemy players in world PvP or duels."

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by The Shortest Path » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:53 am

Arev wrote:from WoWwiki:

"Weapon skills are maxed in PvP combat. This means leveling a weapon skill for pvp is unimportant; when attacking an enemy player, your Weapon Skill will always be considered to be your level * 5, and your target's Defense will always be treated as his level * 5 (before any Defense Rating from your target's gear is added in).

Weapon skill does not affect your chance to hit other players in the battlegrounds or in the arena, but it still affects your hit chance against enemy players in world PvP or duels."

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill

Pretty sure that change was made when arenas came out, and wasn't like that in vanilla. I could definitely be wrong though.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Gazpy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:34 am

well weapons skills in pvp are not 5×your level (at least on this server), I had mages PARRYING me when my staff skill was at 50, but man, can't ppl even crushing blow you when you have nearly to no defense? and about like 100% hitchance aswell? it would be highly suicidal to have 1/300def when you can just /sit once to have those benefits.
Oh my good dog!
Gazpy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Mage21 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:28 am

Indeed you could just sit down, but if it would work.. Vs any onehanded melee/ pet the reckoning would stack insanly fast and your foe would be dead really fast
Mage21
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Gazpy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Mage21 wrote:Indeed you could just sit down, but if it would work.. Vs any onehanded melee/ pet the reckoning would stack insanly fast and your foe would be dead really fast

that's how it actually works.
Oh my good dog!
Gazpy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by diogenes » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Mage21 wrote:

Even assuming, defense and weapon skill is working in pvp on this server, no. What defense does is it DECREASES your chance to be crit (but only when your defense exceeds the attacker's weapon skill). Therefore, if you have defense above their weapon skill then you will start "chipping" away at their crit chance by 0.04% per point of defense above weapon skill. However, it does nothing to increase crit chance if weapon skill is above the defense (other than decrease the likelihood of a block/dodge/parry/miss).

Anyway, this is how it is "supposed" to work. To test it would be rather easy. All you do is get your weapon skill as high as you can, record your combat log, attack a bunch of mobs (all being the exact same level) which are significantly below your weapon skill and see if you get a crit percentage that has a very low probability of occurring. However, if it does turn out that the question is answered in the affirmative, then it is definitely a bug, because weapon skill above defense should NOT increase your crit chance above what you see in your tool tip (when you hover over the "attack" icon in the spell book).
diogenes
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by zmandude24 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:55 am

Mage21 wrote:What would happen if you managed to level-up to 60 with your defense skill still on 1?

How would benefit you?

Reckoning / enrage

1. In order to do that, you must not take a single melee hit from any mob ever. Considering that it takes well over 100 hours to get to 60 by PvE leveling (the only realistic way since battlegrounds give minimal exp), you'd have to level with a tank full time.
2. You will have literally 0 evasion.
3. Players will have a 11.96% additional chance to crit you.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aethelwulf » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Sorry but back in vanilla you couldn't accrue an additional chance to be crit from having lower than normal defense skills. You're not the only one who has considered doing this. Clever thinking though.

See here:
WoW Wiki wrote:The difference between opponents defense skill and attackers weapon skill will modify the critical hit chance by 0.04% per point of difference. So, for example, if a Rogue with 300 dagger skill is attacking a Mob with 325 defense skill, the rogue's crit rate will be decreased by 1%.

Be aware though that +Defense in this context does not apply to PvP. It will not reduce a critical hit chance between players, only vs. PvE mobs.

While technically leaving open the possibility that an unusually low defense could raise the chance of getting crit, this rather indicates that defense is actually not factored into PvP crits at all.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Mechanics and classes