Should I care about racials?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Should I care about racials?

by CecilJohn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:32 am

Or not?
What even is a 'signature'?
CecilJohn
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Should I care about racials?

by DrearyYew » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:01 pm

for melee, yes, it's damn near required in PvE

for casters, not so much, but they're still nice

play what you want to play
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Crom » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:18 pm

CecilJohn wrote:Or not?

They are reasonably important but not enough to make you play something you hate just to be good. It's more of a min/maxer thing.
Crom
Grunt
Grunt

by Armilus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:29 pm

I think you should absolutely care about racials. Whether you plan to focus on PvP or PvE, what's best for you or what's best for your guild, racials can make a BIG difference.

WoW is a social game, if you want to play with other people you have to consider what they are going to think of your choice of race as well. If you want to be a good raiding guild, this is a big factor, if not then it doesn't matter as much.

Some races are exceptionally terrible for their class, just because other racial bonuses are far better. The race that is best for your class depends on your goals so I'll just list the useless ones for you.

Priest (alliance)-> Night Elf is useless because the other races have crazy good racials. Dwarfs get fear ward. Humans get a small spirit bonus and 10% extra rep. The bonuses from Dwarf and Human are huge while night elf has nothing useful for a priest. The priest class also get's a couple racial spells and the dwarf/human spells are much better.

Warrior (Horde) -> Undead is pretty terrible compared to Tauren and Orc. Tauren have a 5% HP bonus and orcs have a bonus to axe skill so they are the only good choice for PvE DPS.

Warrior (Alliance) -> Dwarf is useless for PvE, for PvP the racial differences aren't as huge of a deal. Humans have sword/mace skill which make them the only choice for PvE dps and night elfs have a bonus 1% dodge for tanking.

Rogue (Alliance) -> Dwarf is useless. Night elf and gnome are ok for PvP. Human is the only choice for PvE because their racial weapon skill is insanely powerful.

I think that's all the race/class combos that have absolutely no redeeming qualities in any situation.

Like DrearyYew said, it is a much bigger deal for melee DPS in PvE than anything else. For alliance priests your race is also a big deal.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by St0rfan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Armilus wrote:I think you should absolutely care about racials. Whether you plan to focus on PvP or PvE, what's best for you or what's best for your guild, racials can make a BIG difference.

WoW is a social game, if you want to play with other people you have to consider what they are going to think of your choice of race as well. If you want to be a good raiding guild, this is a big factor, if not then it doesn't matter as much.

Some races are exceptionally terrible for their class, just because other racial bonuses are far better. The race that is best for your class depends on your goals so I'll just list the useless ones for you.

Priest (alliance)-> Night Elf is useless because the other races have crazy good racials. Dwarfs get fear ward. Humans get a small spirit bonus and 10% extra rep. The bonuses from Dwarf and Human are huge while night elf has nothing useful for a priest. The priest class also get's a couple racial spells and the dwarf/human spells are much better.

Warrior (Horde) -> Undead is pretty terrible compared to Tauren and Orc. Tauren have a 5% HP bonus and orcs have a bonus to axe skill so they are the only good choice for PvE DPS.

Warrior (Alliance) -> Dwarf is useless for PvE, for PvP the racial differences aren't as huge of a deal. Humans have sword/mace skill which make them the only choice for PvE dps and night elfs have a bonus 1% dodge for tanking.

Rogue (Alliance) -> Dwarf is useless. Night elf and gnome are ok for PvP. Human is the only choice for PvE because their racial weapon skill is insanely powerful.

I think that's all the race/class combos that have absolutely no redeeming qualities in any situation.

Like DrearyYew said, it is a much bigger deal for melee DPS in PvE than anything else. For alliance priests your race is also a big deal.

Doesnt Orc racial hardiness help somewhat in PvE? I'm thinking dragonkin that stun tanks in later parts of BWL?
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by rekc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Armilus wrote:I think you should absolutely care about racials. Whether you plan to focus on PvP or PvE, what's best for you or what's best for your guild, racials can make a BIG difference.

Dwarf Rogue has stoneform which is great for PvP because you can stop bleeds and vanish.

Orc warriors with their stun resistance are very good in PvP
rekc
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Crysthal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:01 pm

It does not matter raids are easy af
Crysthal
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Bioness » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:34 am

If you want to enjoy your character, play what you want.

If you want to be good, yes you should care.
Bioness
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by The Shortest Path » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:48 am

The only racials that matter more than a 1% difference at absolute most are the human and orc weapon skill racials for DPS warriors for glancing blow reduction. Rogues get it for free so it doesn't matter as much for them, and nothing else comes even close for PvE.

Well, except Fear Ward.
The Shortest Path
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by St0rfan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:22 am

The Shortest Path wrote:The only racials that matter more than a 1% difference at absolute most are the human and orc weapon skill racials for DPS warriors for glancing blow reduction. Rogues get it for free so it doesn't matter as much for them, and nothing else comes even close for PvE.

Well, except Fear Ward.

Orc Bloodfury, Troll Berserking are very powerful racials too.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes