Does Gnome 5% int give significant improvement for casters?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Does Gnome 5% int give significant improvement for casters?

by Shpati » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:32 pm

I made a Human mage who is already level 45, but would having a Gnome mage with the 5%+ intellect make a significant [better] difference?

I think I might make a warlock on the new PvE server whenever that is released. Is Spirit or Int more important here?
Shpati
Private
Private

Re: Does Gnome 5% int give significant improvement for caste

by Setup » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:45 am

[insert incorrect calculations]
Last edited by Setup on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Noselacri » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:09 am

It increases total intellect, and you'll have 350-400 or even more depending on gear/buffs. In epic gear, it ends up being worth about 25 intellect after all modifiers, which isn't bad at all. It's half a BoK on your main stat. It completely blows other PvE racials out of the water, at least when it comes to mages. Very good racial.

Warlocks have somewhat less intellect on their gear, and don't care very much about the stat, so it's less of a consideration there. Warlocks want stamina before intellect, and should ignore spirit completely. Still the only PvE racial for warlocks, though. It'll give you like +0.33% crit chance for your Shadow Bolt, which is ok.
Noselacri
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Setup » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 am

Yeah, I think my initial estimation ignored base INT (~120?) and +60 for AI/BOK.

So Noselarcri's guess of 350 is closer to correct.

350 translates into +17 int, which means ~1/3rd of a crit (worth about 3sp) and ~250 mana.

You could call the racial a sidegrade.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Shpati » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 am

Noselacri wrote:It increases total intellect, and you'll have 350-400 or even more depending on gear/buffs. In epic gear, it ends up being worth about 25 intellect after all modifiers, which isn't bad at all. It's half a BoK on your main stat. It completely blows other PvE racials out of the water, at least when it comes to mages. Very good racial.

Warlocks have somewhat less intellect on their gear, and don't care very much about the stat, so it's less of a consideration there. Warlocks want stamina before intellect, and should ignore spirit completely. Still the only PvE racial for warlocks, though. It'll give you like +0.33% crit chance for your Shadow Bolt, which is ok.
Ty.

How much more cit chance would it give a Frost Mage for their Frost Bolt?
Shpati
Private
Private

by Aethelwulf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 am

Probably around 0.5%, maybe more. It's not rare for a Mage to have 50% more int than a Warlock.

For Warlocks, Stamina > Int and Agility > Spirit, which is not to say that Warlocks typically gear Agility, but that it is still more useful than Spirit. Spell Crit > Spell Hit > Spell Damage and Stamina are the most important stats for Warlocks. Everything else is generally an afterthought.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Noselacri » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

Setup wrote:Yeah, I think my initial estimation ignored base INT (~120?) and +60 for AI/BOK.

So Noselarcri's guess of 350 is closer to correct.

350 translates into +17 int, which means ~1/3rd of a crit (worth about 3sp) and ~250 mana.

You could call the racial a sidegrade.

You'll break 400 in MC gear, and probably approach 500 later on in vanilla. A gnome mage in pre-raid BiS has something like 370 int. The +5% quickly adds a noticeable amount.
Noselacri
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Guybrush » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 am

Aethelwulf wrote:For Warlocks, Stamina > Int and Agility > Spirit.

wat

For PVE:
Int > Stam
Stepping out of the fire > Stam
Agility = Spirit = Useless
Guybrush
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aethelwulf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:54 am

Spirit is useless. Agility at least gives dodge and armor. It at least presents some form of benefit for a Warlock.

For PvE, if you're going the DS/Ruin raidspec, you will have +15% stamina and +20% mana recovered from Improved Life Tap, which effectively means one stamina is worth 13.8 mana. If you gear 100 int instead of 100 stam you just get to enjoy 120 extra mana, not even a single life tap, while having a far weaker health buffer for damage. Saves you like 2 GCDs which over the course of a fight is fairly unnoticeable. Plus odds are you will be sitting on a HoT and the like so you can lifetap your mana back up well enough that you aren't mana-limited in fights. What you do get out of that 100 int is a +1.67% crit chance.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Shpati » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I like the gnome racial, but just don't like gnomes enough to switch or make my next character one. It doesn't seem THAT big of a deal lol.
Shpati
Private
Private

Next

Return to Mechanics and classes