Resistance of defence?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Resistance of defence?

by Gangsterfarmor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:30 am

Hello there! I'm currently only leve 34, but i've played on other vanilla servers and have a long experience on retail.
The thing is, i'm not that much used to tanking as a warrior in vanilla, people tell me to get 440 defence ( cap) but then people tell me to get Fire resistance gear for MC, Ony and BWL, so what should i aim for?
It seems rather impossible to get both at the same time...

Thanks in advance!
Gangsterfarmor
Tester

Re: Resistance of defence?

by Gangsterfarmor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 am

50 views.. and not one single person can reply my question.. hm.. is my question too hard? Is it to stupid? cannot find one single guide about it, and yes ive googled, only thing i find is pre raid bis gear lists and people talking about getting FR gear...
Last edited by Gangsterfarmor on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gangsterfarmor
Tester

by zerf » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 am

You don't need def cap in order to tank bosses in vanilla because they won't randomly 2 shot you if you don't have it capped. As for resistance vs def, you need multiple sets of items. One general purpose set with def/stamina, one fire resistance set (for ragnaros, onyxia, etc).
Resistance stats are more valuable than def on bosses that do specific type of magic damage (like ragnaros). Most bosses do mixed damage, so you don't wanna go all out on resistances, but have some.
vanilla wow addon collection - http://addons.us.to
zerf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Gangsterfarmor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 am

That was a good answer and you've giving some knowlegde about how it is! :) thanks for that! By the way is there any guide on which bosses i should use resistance gear? :)
Gangsterfarmor
Tester

by Oyani » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 am

If you get to such a boss there'll be at least one guy out of the 39 people you're with who will tell you to put on your resistance gear :) If you are not with 39 other people then you can use your standard tanking gear with def/stam/armor :)
Oyani
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Nobody will two shot you...... Yeah ignore that. Broodlord and Chromag will wreck face.

What he did get right was the "many sets of gear".

Get the addon called Outfitter when you are 60 and collecting gear.

I have a 5 man set which stacks HP/Cri/ 90ish def/and use 5/8 tier 1 for more rage to avoid rage starvation. (replaced with 5/8 T2).

Rag 245 FR unbuffed -buffed gets me 315 cap. Get stam anywhere you can after cap. I have about 7,600 hp with raid buffs in FR gear.

Broodlord / Chromag 440 def cap.

Onxyia -I use 8/8 T1 as this guy hits are weak. The issue here is rage starvation and heroic strike spam is not possible, threat is the only challenge of this fight. 8/8 T1 gives 15%more aggro on Sunder Armor. This prevents the common dps aggro pull with 2-3 percent left.

Val / Flamegor / Firemal - You want MEANING FULL fire resist gear. So FR that has def and stam. A combinatiom of T1/T2 gear, as for tanks, it alternates shadow and fire resist (T1 chest had FR so does T2). This is why my T1 helm has 20 fr enchant for 30 fr. T2 had 100 hp.

Ebonroc, same as above, meaningful SR gear, T1 boots >T2 boots here. T1 shoulders with 5 SR enchant (ir 5 all resist) T1 legs > T2.

I have around 120 Def on these examples with Onxyia cloak on. Death bone breastplate (17 def) makes this possible.

Hope this gives you some insight of needing to know that each fight differs a bit and not a BiS item for tanks, there is a Best for Fight mentality thay prevails here.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Gangsterfarmor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:53 am

Wow! Thanks for answers, and thank you Undertanker for your in depth answer, now i got a clear insight of how it works now i just need to experience it myself! Thanks! :)
Gangsterfarmor
Tester

by Ana » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 pm

You can get away with 150ish FR from gear on Raggy if you do a quick UBRS detour for the buff.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Mechanics and classes