Top DPS Class

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Top DPS Class

by Theloras » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:04 am

PriestInOurTime wrote:Before we have this silly conversation again, could someone provide one single source from vanilla times that suggests that they scale?

It can be text or video, doesn't matter. Just to give us a starting point.

That's just it - we are at an impasse on this issue for the simple reason that there are conflicting reports for both arguments.

Which is why I went straight to the source and asked Blizzard directly via GM ticket on battle.net to which the GM replied that yes in fact, the items did scale with spell dmg during Vanilla WoW.

You guys are more than welcome to submit your own tickets to see if you can have a GM who worked during Vanilla provide an answer or ask them to forward the ticket to a Senior GM for review.

Aethelwulf is refusing to even consider doing that however which leaves us at an impasse and him being so butt hurt that he follows me to every forum thread that I post in to try and derail it.

- edit -

Full disclosure from me - I have no personal experience with any of the items in question from retail Vanilla and I only stumbled upon them in my efforts to find ways to DPS as Ret on Peenix due to the multitude of broken abilities and bugs affecting the class/spec - which unfortunately is a similar situation here on Nostalrius as well :(
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by shamwow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:12 am

PriestInOurTime wrote:Before we have this silly conversation again, could someone provide one single source from vanilla times that suggests that they scale? I never once saw an item that scaled in vanilla.

Consider this. Lets assume nostalrius wanted to open their server but couldn't find the videos of what the spell coefficents were. They would simply check it on many websites from blizzard.

Therefore. Just by the many many lists of websites and players saying this actually worked on blazefury medallion. That is the exact same thing that got nostalrius or any other server to not change the spell damage scaling.

Unless you specifically find a 2005-2006 video of it not scaling with a character who has spell damage gear. Then you can talk about it

Every private server has changed the items proc or spells from SOURCES. Can they actually see whats the proc chance in a video or screenshot? Just by seeing a lot of proof from sources. They edit it. Therefore I see no difference. If there are so many sources saying it worked. IT WORKED.

Don't touch what isn't broken.
This is how dark and evil a reckoning bomb paladin of Azeroth is
Imagine those people are stormwind citizens trapped
http://sendvid.com/0tfl74qq
Sapbomb/darkrune crits + spellcrit = 1-2 bombs
youtube.com/watch?v=c8x76yI5_Jo
shamwow
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Theloras » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:18 am

shamwow wrote:
PriestInOurTime wrote:Before we have this silly conversation again, could someone provide one single source from vanilla times that suggests that they scale? I never once saw an item that scaled in vanilla.

I don't know the links but Theloras does I think.

Consider this. Lets assume nostalrius wanted to open their server but couldn't find the videos of what the spell coefficents were. They would simply check it on many websites from blizzard.

Therefore. Just by the many many lists of websites and players saying this actually worked on blazefury medallion. That is the exact same thing that got nostalrius or any other server to not change the spell damage scaling.

Unless you specifically find a 2005-2006 video of it not scaling with a character who has spell damage gear. Then this thread can open

Every private server has changed the items proc or spells from SOURCES. Can they actually see whats the proc chance in a video or screenshot? Just by seeing a lot of proof from sources. They edit it. Therefore I see no difference. If there are so many sources saying it worked. IT WORKED.

Don't touch what isn't broken.

This is my original bug report from Peenix which has everything laid out for you guys to read through and consider:

https://github.com/FeenixServerProject/ ... ssues/3652

The only thing missing from the bug report is this additional piece from Vanilla which I found in my circle jerk of an argument with Aethelwulf in a different thread:

+damage
Posted: Nov 21st 2005 4:02am| IP: Logged | Reply to this
By: xxfobxx
Score: Decent

Link to this post

does the proc scale with +damage gear?

1 reply
+damage
Posted: Aug 11th 2006 6:47am| IP: Logged | Reply to this
By: Wenduki

Score: Decent

Link to this post

Don't know of any Plate items equipped with + Fire Gear, and I don't know of any casters that'd use this for more than a Large Brilliant Shard... but the Fire is indeed considered and effect, so I would imagine Fire Spells and Effects gear would slightly increase this damage...

https://web.archive.org/web/20070213213 ... item=19968
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by PriestInOurTime » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:24 am

shamwow wrote:I don't know the links but Theloras does I think.

I'd be amazed.

Any time he and the other paladin goes on about spell power scaling of items they link stuff from TBC and later. And those are worthless since it is common knowledge that Blizzard screwed up at some point in the TBC beta and certain items started to scale with spell power. Because of this any reference after TBC is beyond worthless on this topic. We all know that there were examples after TBC, show us something from before.

shamwow wrote:Every private server has changed the items proc or spells from SOURCES. Can they actually see whats the proc chance in a video or screenshot? Just by seeing a lot of proof from sources. They edit it. Therefore I see no difference. If there are so many sources saying it worked. IT WORKED

Then show me one source.
Pristine realms... Industrial levels of stupidity.
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by PriestInOurTime » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 am

Theloras wrote:so I would imagine Fire Spells and Effects gear would slightly increase this damage...

I couldn't sum it up much better if I tried.
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by shamwow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:28 am

PriestInOurTime wrote:
shamwow wrote:I don't know the links but Theloras does I think.

I'd be amazed.

Any time he and the other paladin goes on about spell power scaling of items they link stuff from TBC and later. And those are worthless since it is common knowledge that Blizzard screwed up at some point in the TBC beta and certain items started to scale with spell power. Because of this any reference after TBC is beyond worthless on this topic. We all know that there were examples after TBC, show us something from before.

shamwow wrote:Every private server has changed the items proc or spells from SOURCES. Can they actually see whats the proc chance in a video or screenshot? Just by seeing a lot of proof from sources. They edit it. Therefore I see no difference. If there are so many sources saying it worked. IT WORKED

Then show me one source.

Heres one about storm gauntlets. Though the statement wasn't from 1.12

http://www.wowhead.com/item=12632/storm ... s#comments

RATING 12 (People gave him a 12 rating which indicates he wasn't lying)

By raikou (266 – 3) on 2009/04/04 (Patch 3.0.9) 

Just to clarify a few things:

As of the current patch these gloves do NOT eat the stormstrike debuff.
Spell Damage has no effect on the Lightning Strike proc.
Lightning Strike will double proc on WF procs.
Lightning Strike will NOT proc of of Storm Strike or Lava Lash.
Last edited by raikou on 2009/04/04 (Patch 3.0.9)

You can clearly see what he above says. AS OF CURRENT PATCH. Spell damage HAS NO EFFECT.
Therefore spell damage did scale and that shaman with storm gauntlets was done with healing gear.

By QFred (9,581 – 2·17·61) on 2012/09/10 (Patch 5.0.4) 

Back in the days, the damage from this proc was affected by crit chance and spell power. So it would do more than 3 damage on each attack, often. Plus, it had a quite awesome lightning sound and visual effect.

TBC is actually not that much different then vanilla.
shamwow
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by PriestInOurTime » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:33 am

All of those sources are post-The Buggy Crusade

So, we are still at zero sources. I'm shocked.

EDIT: Further, isn't it amazing that there was video posted earlier from vanilla retail demonstrating that the gloves indeed didn't scale back then and still the claim about them goes on as if that never happened?
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Theloras » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 am

PriestInOurTime wrote:All of those sources are post-The Buggy Crusade

EDIT: Further, isn't it amazing that there was video posted earlier from vanilla retail demonstrating that the gloves indeed didn't scale back then and still the claim about them goes on as if that never happened?

No, we've spoken about that video ad nauseum both in this thread and the other one that Aethelwulf derailed - the problem with it is that is a single source and other than the upload date, we have no idea when it was actually filmed or what patch.

Likewise, we have no way to confirm whether it was on a retail vanilla server, a retail ptr server, a private vanilla server or a private ptr server. Similarly, even if we were to take the video at face value, without official patch notes saying one way or the other, one cannot come to a final conclusion - hence why I asked Blizzard directly.

I am merely holding Aethelwulf up to the same standard that any Dev would in requesting evidence either for or against a bug being fixed or reverted - no more no less - in this instance we are at an impasse as to whether the items scaled or not.

The ultimate example that we need to tread carefully is the case involving Seal Twisting - countless forum trolls sword that because it was only discovered by accident during TBC and that there was no evidence that Seal Twisting happened during Vanilla that meant that it was impossible during Vanilla.

I proved all of them wrong - so again - the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - and we all need to be careful before we make any change without considering ALL of the evidence at hand.

PS It is not a logical assumption that these items scaled during TBC but not during Vanilla - when the evidence shows the exact opposite of Blizzard's intentions - all legacy vanilla items with procs or on demand dmg (i.e.: Shard of the Fallen Star) had their spell dmg scaling removed completely during a TBC patch.
Last edited by Theloras on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by shamwow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 am

PriestInOurTime wrote:All of those sources are post-The Buggy Crusade

even though the claim goes on about it did happen on wowhead and was fixed in the 3.0.9 patch

and the fact that shaman didn't show us his gear or spell damage

and a site showing someone who wanted to use storm gauntlets with spell damage

nonsense
07-17-2006, 08:03 AM
So, having toyed around with Thundersong a bit recently, I'm growing to really like what the last patch did for Elemental shamans, but I have at the moment a near-total lack of +damage gear, and I want at least a little. So in the interest of planning ahead (I'm now 45, going on 46), I want to test the waters on a few items:

Craftable:

Wildthorn Mail - Blackbraid can make this, I know. Anything in particular you need by way of materials?

Storm Gauntlets - Can anyone craft these?

Blue Dragon Mail - Chaasii can do this, yes?

Instances:

Zul'Farrak - There's two staves with +damage here.. One is general +spell, one is +nature. There's also a very small chance to get a ring drop with +damage. Anybody planning a run anytime soon?
shamwow
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by PriestInOurTime » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:12 am

Storm Gauntlets HAVE spell damage. That's why he wants them.

And that is why we know it doesn't scale with spell damage from the video, they should in that case scale of their own spell power
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanics and classes