Soloing Elites

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Soloing Elites

by Layna » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:47 pm

A while ago I soloed the elite-quest "Mai'Zoth" at the appropriate level (I was 45) as a frost Mage, and as I greatly enjoyed that challenge, I am now looking for more classes that can pull this (or something similar, fighting rows of elites in an enclosed area) off.
I know that both Hunters and Warlock are great at soloing elites, but they usually need some space. Will they be able to perform that feat with only a limited area as well?
Also, are there any other classes that could do that? Can Rogues stunlock efficiently enough (without having to use Evasion on every single elite), can elemental Shamans kite decently, can Paladins tank&heal through it? What about Druids (no clue there, I'd wager they could root&nuke an outdoor elite, but indoor ...)?

It'd be nice to get some insight from some more experienced players in this regards, to help me decide which character to level next!

sincerely

Layna
Layna
Tester

Re: Soloing Elites

by Heldunder » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:52 pm

hunter and lock, lock being more fun.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Killstick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Ele shaman can do alot as long as it can be slowed and can't close the gap + CC.

Frostshock mob, put down searing totem. Kite mob around it. reapply frostshock when the debuff fades. Also gives you a chance to have ES off CD when mob is a healer or so. You can also use mana totem for longer kites.
You can also do the earthbind totem kite; but it is harder.

I did the elite trees in Ferelas like this, the big gorilla dude on STV island. On Vanilla i remember soloing Borelgore (giant slug in EPL).
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Rouge can do it starting mid 40s, running a mix of all three trees focusing on daggers and proper use of energy watch and gouge. Talents to reduce CD of evasion + the ghostly strike ability is nice and lets you accomplish this, however you will have to wait 1.5 min before next pull to have evasion, ghostly stacking again.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by smilkovpetko » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 am

soloing elites at lvl 60 in Un'Goro Prot Paladin

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 3268_o.jpg

drink your coffee , stun when you get somewhat low and pop 1 holy light , go facebook , come back , elite dead.

same rule apply in lower levels too. soloed stv elite giant from water (he was still orange level for me) . with loh and bubble is cake
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Undertanker » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 am

I think OP was speaking in regards to pre 60/epic geared.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lorilay » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Outdoor elites are easy to solo as a druid (wrath, dot, & root). You can also start tanking them in bear form as your gear improves.

As a paladin, I've been able to burn all cds to kill an elite, but it's not very efficient. I have a very tough time soloing them as a warrior and a priest, though.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Thatoneguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:38 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:soloing elites at lvl 60 in Un'Goro Prot Paladin

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 3268_o.jpg

drink your coffee , stun when you get somewhat low and pop 1 holy light , go facebook , come back , elite dead.

same rule apply in lower levels too. soloed stv elite giant from water (he was still orange level for me) . with loh and bubble is cake

Yeah I agree, Paladins can either solo mobs without skill or can't kill at all.

I never liked Paladins because you can be an incredible player or below average but as long as you're playing Paladin it doesn't matter. The class is so braindead :lol:
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by dngrs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:40 pm

warlock is great at killing stuff in close space too

if you work your fear properly you can make it run into a corner and thus stay in range of ur spells ( in particular drain ones which are shorter)
Shtefan - undead warlock - 60
dngrs
Sergeant
Sergeant

by DanielGames » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 pm

To add to the shaman comment. I solo'd elites with my shaman without using too much mana. I'd kite the elite around earthbind totem and use searing totem for the majority of the damage. Obviously this takes a while but the mana you save during the process makes it safe to use the occassional frost shock if earthbind is out of reach or gets resisted. Or get a quick heal in if you took a hit on accident (so lightning shield can do some damage too). Just make sure you shock a bit at the start so your searing totem doesn't get aggro.

I don't recommend this method as a way of farming elites as it's a painfully slow process, but it's an option for those kill 1 elite quests or if you spot a rare.

As for warriors.. Our 30 min cooldowns help a lot for smoking down elites. Which one if the best? I guess if you can survive the extra damage, recklessness is the best. Otherwise pop retalation and hope for the best. Thunderclap can be a life saver if you pop that at the very start.
Zouleika - Troll Warrior "Requests curse of reck and tanks with a 2hander? I like this guy"
Gerwulf - Horde Paladin "Where the fuck you been?"
DanielGames
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Mechanics and classes