Warrior vs. Rogue?

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Warrior vs. Rogue?

by Cryosyn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 am

So I'm still trying to decide on a class after getting both a warrior and a rogue to 12. To be clear, I enjoy both classes (despite warriors being a hell've a lot more tedious) but I'm unsure which would be better in the long run.

There seems to be a conundrum of many warriors running around yet all the groups are still thirsty for tanks. I can comfortably tank, and the high demand for them seems lucrative but does this persist at level cap? On retail I only started WoW around BC so I'm not 100% sure on how 40 man raid makeup was. I assume it was still only 2 tanks.

It seems that, since there's only a need for 2 tanks in a group of 40 people, that the need for them would fall off around raid levels. Do the rest of the warriors just DPS then? Are DPS warriors viable?

I know rogues are a dime-a-dozen, but the difference is that a 40 person raid can fit more of them, rather than just 2 tanks.

So what does the server need more of, between the two of them? Assuming I enjoy both equally, how I can best serve the peoples spamming General Chat?
Cryosyn
Tester

Re: Warrior vs. Rogue?

by rakei » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:45 am

40 man raids will have more than 2 warriors per raid as a guild will always need extra warriors, although really no need for more than 2 full prot per raid. Best way to serve the raid is to be an expert at your class, know every little trick, have the best spec, best gear, fully prepared with consumables, know game and raid mechanics, and even learn the other classes. This won't happen overnight but is a process to keep learning. This is much more important than what class you play.

Example--hybrid spec warrior who can offtank and out dps a bad rogue is obv a better choice.
rakei
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Garfunkel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm

There are encounters where more than 2 tanks are needed and DPS warriors are also very much viable. In that sense, I would recommend a warrior over rogue - you'll get to do damage and off-tank or you can go full prot and be one of the few main tanks in your guild.
FInd me on: Laureliana - Lauraliana - Lauroliana - Lauruliana - Lauriliana
NELF POWER!
Garfunkel
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Armilus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Fury warriors are only a little behind rogues in DPS and any spec warrior can throw on a tanking set for fights that need a ton of tanks (garr, sulfuron, majordomo, etc.). Should also have no problem tanking 5 mans.

Outside of tanking raid bosses, gear has a much bigger impact than spec for tanking. In 5mans you can usually let DPS tank the primary target and just focus on keeping everything else off the healer.

The big drawback to playing a DPS warrior is gear. There really isn't a lot of options for DPS warrior gear, just the odd off-spec pieces at each tier. At first you are competing with rogues for top damage in MC/BWL, by the time you get to Naxx they will pull ahead a bit, just because you don't have as many upgrades. Still totally viable and solid DPS at that stage though.

Rogues get the benefit of dropping threat (and switching on-use trinkets mid fight) with vanish. You also have a lot more gear options. Warriors are locked into an exact set of gear to get enough hit where as rogues have 5% hit from talents which makes them a lot less dependent on gear.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Mechanics and classes