possible extra attack bug

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: possible extra attack bug

by Hatson » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:15 am

Yes, Tabo. It is possible that "internal cooldown" or rather "global cooldown" was added onto WF in patch 2.0. - However, it has always been possible to proc WF of an Auto Attack, Stormstrike, HoJ proc, or any other possible proc that would generate an extra attack.
Of course that doesn't go for Windfury Totem, at least not if the shaman already has Windfury Weapon imbued, because those don't stack.

In patch 2.0, for the release of BC, they gave Shamans the possibility to dual-wield. Because it buffed their dps so massively just to be able to DW, they had to nerf the old Windfury used in vanilla a lot. In what way that nerf was specifically, I'm not entirely sure, but they did nerf Windfury for sure with the introduction of dual-wielding.

Here's how Windfury can be in Vanilla:
The normal maximum amount of swings possible (if the planets align), go like this:
Auto Attack: 1+2
Stormstrike: 1+2
HoJ proc: 1+2
Is if all the 3 sources of swings (auto, SS, and HoJ) proc the 2 extra attacks from WF. A total of 9 swings maximum.

HoJ has a very brief internal cooldown because if it didn't, it could proc off itself, indefinitely, if extremely lucky.
The same mechanic goes for the WF proc. WF proc bonus hits themselves cannot proc another WF proc.
The same rule applies to ALL "extra attack" spells/abilities/items in the game, at least as far as I know.
If that rule wasn't there. Then every single extra attack could proc that same extra attack again.

With that in mind, you can simply look at "extra attack" procs as another chance to proc OTHER "extra attack" effects, such as Windfury, HoJ, Sword Spec, Thrashing Blade, etc.
Not the SAME "extra attack".

Edit: Seems at least Sword Specialization's extra attack can proc off itself, as corrected by Askental below. Meaning it's definitely blizzlike that it has no hidden cooldown.
Last edited by Hatson on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Askental » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 am

Youfie wrote:Btw, during beta extra attacks weren't appearing in the combatlog, whether they were Sword Spec, HoJ, Thrash Blade or WF. The hits themselves were there, just not the "You gain one extra attack from Sword Specialization." for instance.

True. Is this fixed now?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Sword_Specializa ... _talent%29
Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): Added a visual to Sword Specialization "proc" that will now show up in the combat log as well.

Hatson wrote:HoJ has a very brief internal cooldown because if it didn't, it could proc off itself, indefinitely, if extremely lucky.
The same mechanic goes for the WF proc. WF proc bonus hits themselves cannot proc another WF proc.
The same rule applies to ALL "extra attack" spells/abilities/items in the game, at least as far as I know.
If that rule wasn't there. Then every single extra attack could proc that same extra attack again.

With that in mind, you can simply look at "extra attack" procs as another chance to proc OTHER "extra attack" effects, such as Windfury, HoJ, Sword Spec, Thrashing Blade, etc.
Not the SAME "extra attack".

I am not 100% sure about this but, at least, can't sword spec procs trigger sword spec procs, in Vanilla?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_2.2.0
Warriors
Sword Specialization: This talent’s free extra attacks can no longer trigger additional extra attacks.

Pardon my french but it seems in this example that the second proc was triggered by the first one, as there is nothing else between the two. (2005)
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hatson » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Seems that as far as I knew wasn't entirely correct then, Askental. Thank you for that clarification.
There is definitely a brief cooldown on some of these extra hit procs, but then again there might be some that don't have a cooldown. (such as Windfury)
It's pretty strange to me, why they wouldn't all share the same rules and mechanics, but I guess that's just how it is.

But if there is anything that isn't right related to this on further tests or launch, I'm sure we will notice it quickly and it's probably an easy fix if there is any issue.
I'm certainly going to do extensive testing on these abilities, talents and items when I can. It's pretty important for a spec that relies entirely on that RNG mechanic (Enhancement), that the extra swing stuff is working entirely correctly by itself and when combined with other similar effects.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by showtime » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:49 am

in vanilla theres no 3 second internal cool down but they also fixed it so windfury wont proc off of a windfury
showtime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Mechanics and classes