PSA - Don't Queue with feral/ret/enhance

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Re: PSA - Don't Queue with feral/ret/enhance

by Cowiee » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Im reading through my old reply, and I struggle. Where did I say that the adrenal gland was a CNS structure? Also when you say the adrenal gland is down-stream of the hypophysis, you mean the adrenal cortex, ATCH etc?

As far as I know, no hypophyseal hormone is able to trigger the release of catecholamines from the adrenal medulla.

The adrenal medulla requires direct CNS input arriving from the lateral horn of the spinal cord T1 to L2, before it begins releasing its catecholamines, and this makes it only down-stream of the CNS itself, and no other gland.

The adrenal medulla is made out of the same tissue embryologically as the PNS (neural crest) and CNS (ectoderm). The adrenal medulla is essentially a modified "ganglion", in which the neurons acquired the ability to secrete hormones, thus making them neuroendocrine cells.

To say that there is barely if any connection between CNS and the adrenal gland would lead to instant failure in any neuroanatomy exam in any respectable medical school around the world.
Cowiee
Grunt
Grunt

by Spartigus » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Cowiee wrote:Im reading through my old reply, and I struggle. Where did I say that the adrenal gland was a CNS structure? Also when you say the adrenal gland is down-stream of the hypophysis, you mean the adrenal cortex, ATCH etc?

As far as I know, no hypophyseal hormone is able to trigger the release of catecholamines from the adrenal medulla.

The adrenal medulla requires direct CNS input arriving from the lateral horn of the spinal cord T1 to L2, before it begins releasing its catecholamines, and this makes it only down-stream of the CNS itself, and no other gland.

The adrenal medulla is made out of the same tissue embryologically as the PNS (neural crest) and CNS (ectoderm). The adrenal medulla is essentially a modified "ganglion", in which the neurons acquired the ability to secrete hormones, thus making them neuroendocrine cells.

To say that there is barely if any connection between CNS and the adrenal gland would lead to instant failure in any neuroanatomy exam in any respectable medical school around the world.

Here is the point, receiving input from the CNS =/= part of the CNS. When a structure is not part of something, I would consider it to be "removed".

The original argument I made was that cognition is unlikely to occur in a structure not in the CNS. I'm sure you can agree. Adrenal medulla is most definitely not a CNS structure, we've both stated that. In fact I would go further to say cognition doesn't occur in most CNS structures! I think our difference here comes from different backgrounds, if I was a clinician I would probably say a part of the ANS is close to the CNS, but as someone who works solely on the brain, I would consider it removed. To mirror your example, saying that you want to study cognition in the adrenal medulla would get your NIH grant laughed out of the study section.

I find it interesting that you want to say a gland is very closely connected to the CNS, but that two areas within the gland are so distinct that signals directed toward one do not influence the other. Are these two parts of the same gland "removed" then? I see we can draw distinctions within the same gland, but drawing distinctions between two systems is out of line. This dichotomy makes me think you're really just here for an argument. Hormones directed to the cortex do in fact influence the medulla, triggering the synthesis of the catecholamines you mentioned.

We can swing our dicks around all day, but in all honesty I was just trying to give that kid a bollocking. Of course I figure that's why you're here too. Just a big circle of bollocking.
Spartigus
Tester

by Ohhgee » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 pm

damn Spartigus r u a scientist?
Ohhgee
Level 60 Human Mage
<NOPE>
Ohhgee
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Muhsogyny » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 pm

I enjoy killing Ihealwpvp from 100% in 3 seconds.
Muhsogyny
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Brion » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I like this thread because I only read the very first page and the very last page.
Quyzbuk - Tauren Warrior [PVP]
Linguo - Tauren Druid [PVE]
Brion
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Cowiee » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:40 am

Spartigus wrote:
Cowiee wrote:Im reading through my old reply, and I struggle. Where did I say that the adrenal gland was a CNS structure? Also when you say the adrenal gland is down-stream of the hypophysis, you mean the adrenal cortex, ATCH etc?

Here is the point, receiving input from the CNS =/= part of the CNS. When a structure is not part of something, I would consider it to be "removed".

The original argument I made was that cognition is unlikely to occur in a structure not in the CNS. I'm sure you can agree. Adrenal medulla is most definitely not a CNS structure, we've both stated that. In fact I would go further to say cognition doesn't occur in most CNS structures! I think our difference here comes from different backgrounds, if I was a clinician I would probably say a part of the ANS is close to the CNS, but as someone who works solely on the brain, I would consider it removed. To mirror your example, saying that you want to study cognition in the adrenal medulla would get your NIH grant laughed out of the study section.

I find it interesting that you want to say a gland is very closely connected to the CNS, but that two areas within the gland are so distinct that signals directed toward one do not influence the other. Are these two parts of the same gland "removed" then? I see we can draw distinctions within the same gland, but drawing distinctions between two systems is out of line. This dichotomy makes me think you're really just here for an argument. Hormones directed to the cortex do in fact influence the medulla, triggering the synthesis of the catecholamines you mentioned.

We can swing our dicks around all day, but in all honesty I was just trying to give that kid a bollocking. Of course I figure that's why you're here too. Just a big circle of bollocking.

I dont have much time right now, but the two parts of the gland have a special distinct embryology, its not just me doing a dichotomy. The adrenal cortex is derived from mesoderm, whilst the medulla from ectoderm. These two parts of the gland are quite removed from each other, as far as I know. I am not trying to swing my dick here, but if I would leave this topic learning a hypophyseal hormone which can trigger adrenaline release, I would be very happy learning something new. Although I hated brain studies, I championed neuroanatomy at my university, and I dissect/autopsy entire human organisms on a daily basis. Perhaps embryology wasnt too heavily emphasized in your studies, but the fact that the two parts of the adrenal gland is derived from two different germ layers has vast functional implications, at least in my opinion.

The brain would communicate to the cortex using endocrine mediators such as CRH followed by hypophyseal release of ATCH causing Cortisol/Aldosterone release (chronic stress). The brain doesnt use endocrine mediators do cause the adrenaline rush, but instead nerve fibers going directly to the medulla releasing adrenaline (acute stress). The reason for this is that, the endocrine mechanism would act too slow to prepare you in the event you had to fight a lion.
Cowiee
Grunt
Grunt

by Slicy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 am

Reads title. Thinks "nice some nostalrius drama". Reads last page. Well that escalated quickly.
Grand Marshal Scarab Lord Slicy "Baguette"
Slicy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by smilkovpetko » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Ihealwpvp wrote:shamans are a support class, maximize their potential and play resto. Drop a WF totem and support a warrior.

Best meme ever i laughed :D

bones and teeth

before

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 9990_o.jpg

after

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 3857_o.jpg
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by mozibake » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice binds, nice facebook links.

you think it be like it is but it's don't
-jack brack
mozibake
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by smilkovpetko » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:11 pm

mozibake wrote:Nice binds, nice facebook links.

thanks . you are welcome to be in party with OP :)
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic