Modifying Wow vanilla...

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Re: Modifying Wow vanilla...

by whitestarrising » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Original warden did not detect model-edits. I do believe that is considered a 'modified game client', though, so be careful.
whitestarrising
Private
Private

by mrmr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:22 pm

whitestarrising wrote:Original warden did not detect model-edits. I do believe that is considered a 'modified game client', though, so be careful.

Yes, original warden probably didn't.
Point is that on pserver, no matter what, it's not going to be the "original warder" running.

They're saying "model edit" will get you banned...but warden cannot "scan files".
So, how they will be able to catch original_MPQ_model_edit?
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by whitekidney » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:25 pm

mrmr wrote:
whitestarrising wrote:Original warden did not detect model-edits. I do believe that is considered a 'modified game client', though, so be careful.

Yes, original warden probably didn't.
Point is that on pserver, no matter what, it's not going to be the "original warder" running.

They're saying "model edit" will get you banned...but warden cannot "scan files".
So, how they will be able to catch original_MPQ_model_edit?

Warden cannot scan files, it does not have that capability. The only thing warden can do is scan memory.
The server instructs the warden client on what memory addresses / offsets to scan on and returns the values to the server. The server can then analyze these values and act when they are changed / or are set to values they should not be.

I will not go into detail on how Nostalrius detects model edits but I can say it is the only server (ever) that I know of that detects client side model edits.
whitekidney
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by mrmr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:29 pm

whitekidney wrote:I will not go into detail on how Nostalrius detects model edits but I can say it is the only server (ever) that I know of that detects client side model edits.

...and you shouldn't.
I am just worried about these types of model-editing, as they're quite powerful&simple to achieve.

If you say these model-edits are detectable, then, kudos to the developer that wrote such warden module.
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by whitekidney » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm

mrmr wrote:
whitekidney wrote:I will not go into detail on how Nostalrius detects model edits but I can say it is the only server (ever) that I know of that detects client side model edits.

...and you shouldn't.
I am just worried about these types of model-editing, as they're quite powerful&simple to achieve.

If you say these model-edits are detectable, then, kudos to the developer that wrote such warden module.

They are detectable yes and results in a kick just seconds after joining the server (when warden scans), but it will only be a matter of time before a bypass is implemented ( I already have a bypass working myself that I am not going to share )
whitekidney
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by kekoa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:44 am

Warden cannot scan ARBITRARY files. With the right module it can scan MPQ files. Nostalrius hasn't properly implemented this functionality thus far.
kekoa
Tester

by 123hugo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:09 am

Askental wrote:
gazi05 wrote:Hope it wont bother the devs here if we use it.

I am surprised they did not say anything yet, so yeah, I'm going to be the grumpy one... but I'm not really happy about these links and this topic being openly discussed here. I see that it might genuinely not be the intention in this case, but if you think for 5 minutes (or just browse deeper into this type of forum), you will find exploits using the same technique and I don't really want to see this spread on the server...

Personally I have nothing against a legit and verified pack of pretty textures, and this guy in your post seems alright but he is using different trees models... If it is just a tiny bit smaller than the default tree, someone else could see you walk right through it, and this can already get you reported, even if you did not mean to cheat... I would be extremely careful with this stuff, or just stick to what the engine is capable of without editing data.

What exploits are we talking about?
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE WILDDADDY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AKA Kappadin
123hugo
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Off topic