Anti-cheat question

Discuss anything here. But do not forget that our rules still apply !

Anti-cheat question

by twocows » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi all,

Bear with me here, this is a bit complicated. I'm hoping to possibly be able to play on the server behind a restrictive firewall. I have an SSH server set up on my home router running Tomato and tunnel my traffic through it by way of a local SOCKS5 proxy running on the laptop that will run WoW. Since WoW doesn't support proxy settings out of the box (that I'm aware of), I plan to use software called Proxifier to force the traffic through my tunnel. This has worked great so far for other applications I've used, provided I have a way to force TCP (like Steam, which works perfectly when launched with the -tcp switch). It's low-enough latency (there are no wireless hops on the route and the hops are all relatively close geographically) and otherwise works perfectly. As far as I can tell, WoW just uses TCP, so I should be fine doing it this way. The only thing I'm worried about is that the anti-cheat software might consider it malicious or something. As far as I know, it doesn't actually touch the software it operates on in any way (neither in memory nor on the hard drive), so I think it should be fine, but I'd be more comfortable with a more solid answer so I don't end up getting banned in the first five hours.

tl;dr: I'd like to use my home proxy to play on the server from behind a restrictive firewall but I'm worried the software involved might be detected by the anti-cheat software. I highly doubt it will, but I wanted to be on the safe side.
twocows
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Off topic