Guild Proposition

Role-play forum section.

Guild Proposition

by Halfway Decent » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:59 am

First off, I'd like to extend my greetings to the members of the roleplay community here on the forums! This will be my first, though hopefully not my last post here. Either way, onto the topic.

It's come to my attention, or is my assumption, that the RP community is dwindling. While this is merely my views for the Alliance, I do not hear things faring much better for the Horde. No more than a month or so ago, the LFRP channel was bustling with activity in the form of events or mere conversation. However, these past few days, perhaps a week, it seems to be quite dead. It gives me worry to think that the RP community will die out. We are a small niche within a limited community, and I believe we need some form of action to rekindle the excitement and atmosphere of the RP community. Not only to ensure more do not leave, but to hopefully bring some back.

This is why I propose the creation of a new guild. Bear with me as I explain... I propose for a over-arching, or umbrella styled guild. In hopes of unifying the community, I want to gather all the remaining RPers to ensure the exchange of information and the creation of events. I find the use of a channel as the main form of communication to be faulty. Not only are we unable to view the members of the channel, we're unable to ensure that information is properly exchange... Events and ideas can easily be lost or unable to reach members of the RP community that are spread across various time zones. I find that a community guild would solve these problems. Not only would we be able to see the members whether online or off, we could transmit the upcoming events through a message of the day to ensure that people are continually aware of the plans and going on's.

While an umbrella guild may cause for a lack of "RP Identity", I feel this could easily be remedied by the use of unique guild ranks. Say a handful of the guild would like to do, or focus on militant RP. A guild rank could be formed simply known as Military, and would be composed of these individuals interested in this form of RP. They could then create their own events, story and so on while still being a part of the larger community, as well as ensuring their plans are open and available to others. The problem with some RP guild is that they tend to get inclusive, and only have their own members be a part of the event. Hopefully this wouldn't be a problem as the majority of the community would compose this guild!

That said, I propose that the guild be formed only by other roleplayers. Unlike some of the "RP" guilds who simply invite everyone they can for membership, I would like to implement RP interviews or "meet-ups" to ensure that RP is generated and connections are formed. While I understand this could possibly limit some peoples plans for things other than RP, I do not mean to imply that the guild is solely for roleplay! If the guild merely consists of ten players (which I hope is not the case, as I aim for more!), that number is still effect to create a Warsong premade if all members were interested in PvP.

Keep in mind, however, that this is still all an idea being formed and I would greatly appreciate community feedback and opinions. The name of such a guild is still in the works, and it would be a week or so before this plan even begins to unfold... Real life comes first, they say. Either way, I hoped to generate some excitement and enthusiasm for the RP community, and gather those folks still around to ensure we don't die off completely as a part of this server!

I sincerely apologize for the wall of text, but I do thank you for your time and patience in reading it, and I hope to hear from you all soon. I will attempt to reply promptly to any comments or suggestions.
Halfway Decent
Tester

Re: Guild Proposition

by JCarrill0 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I support this idea. We need more people wanting to keep the RP community not only alive, but actively with other community members
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lawlei » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:48 pm

I really do support this idea.
With quite a large amount of planning and a lot of thought put into the process of things, and how things will be dealt with individually, I really think that this can take off, and (hopefully) attract some more people to really very small little community we have going here.

Props to you!
Veshka - Night Elf Hunter
Bloodwing - Human Priest
Lawlei
Tester

by Avenhold » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:33 am

This is a grand idea. While I do agree there could be some loss of immersion due to the lack of proper titles and so on- this can be easily remedied with FlagRSP's details depicting your affiliations and description (here's the link!):

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3416&hilit=FlagRSP

With all that being said, it at the very least would serve as a more comfortable place for the community to interact. I'd say have the concept stickied to the front page so people have a good indication of where to go when first beginning their adventures here on the server.

Plus one from me good sir.
Greyan, Priest of the Holy Light
Grongin, Beardling of Anvilmar
Marados, Student of Magic
Avenhold
Grunt
Grunt

by Halfway Decent » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 am

I'm glad to see the positive reception this idea is getting so far, even if on the forums it may seem a little small! Everything starts somewhere, yes?

Anyway, in response to Avenhold, the addition of FlagRSP greatly helps out the whole "RP Identity" I mentioned before, and would make it much easier for people to associate with one another within the guild's marked ranks... if we do decide to go with that route! Also going off what you said, I apologize for my lack of forum knowledge but I'm unsure of how to go about having the thread being stickied to the front page, would you be able to explain?

Now, as an extension to the basic concept for this guild, I'd like to propose what I'm sort of referring to as common ground? Within the original post, I mentioned how to ensure RP by immediately introducing new members to the community through RP-meet ups, which are commonly in the form of RP interviews. However, as this guild isn't a specific form and allows the individual to work within the guild confine, it's hard to say it's an interview. However, it is still best to meet up with, at the very least, the recruiter and the new members to begin some RP. With this in mind, I'd like to introduce the idea of the guild having a very simple and basic foundation...

I'll simply put it as this, let's say the guild is in the form of a tavern. However, I am -NOT- implying that people are all going to be a part of this tavern, or roleplaying as members of it. However, what is a very basic and simple way for people to meet up and RP? Taverns. As I recall, Shippuuga started off his event by gathering in the Stormwind Park tavern simply because it's a good meeting spot. Various types of people will, if not frequent, at least visit a tavern. If the guild's basic idea is to ensure the creation of RP and such, but allow for introductory RP, could it not be a good idea to believe the essence of the guild is this tavern where ranges of people come to either meet others or put forth ideas and discuss business? Perhaps it's just me, but I would like to thing it's better facilitating than a giant OOC guild.

Please leave your continued thoughts and opinions while we work the rest of this out! I hope to have the finalized idea figured out by sometime in the next week so we can get the guild up and running to gather the community together!
Halfway Decent
Tester

by Avenhold » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:49 am

Halfway Decent wrote:Also going off what you said, I apologize for my lack of forum knowledge but I'm unsure of how to go about having the thread being stickied to the front page, would you be able to explain?

I do believe the only way to sticky something is through the forum moderators. My suggestion would be if you decide to move ahead with the guild idea; to propose it to the mods and go from there.

Your idea has merit Halfway. By the impression I get, the tavern serves as a sort of hub for the characters to interact with each other (in which they could likely all find themselves at during some point). This would allow a variety of different characters to meet folks they may not have had the chance to before. Possibly these encounters leading into more random RP or even structured events. At the bare bones of it, I see this idea as a more comfortable alternative to LFRP- at least in the smaller stages of the community, letting them actually view whose online and organize. Once the number of role playing guilds begins to climb, then things would even out amongst the various groups. Whether or not the guild is decided to be saved and grown into something new later on or retired after serving its purpose, it would benefit the community in the here and now.
Avenhold
Grunt
Grunt

by Halfway Decent » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Avenhold wrote:Your idea has merit Halfway. By the impression I get, the tavern serves as a sort of hub for the characters to interact with each other (in which they could likely all find themselves at during some point). This would allow a variety of different characters to meet folks they may not have had the chance to before. Possibly these encounters leading into more random RP or even structured events. At the bare bones of it, I see this idea as a more comfortable alternative to LFRP- at least in the smaller stages of the community, letting them actually view whose online and organize. Once the number of role playing guilds begins to climb, then things would even out amongst the various groups. Whether or not the guild is decided to be saved and grown into something new later on or retired after serving its purpose, it would benefit the community in the here and now.

That's kind of direction I was leaning towards, so I thank you for the support! Unfortunately, I've been absent over the past week due to moving, and I'm unsure of the exact time of which I'll have internet on my computer and be able to return!

Though, as I've noticed from browsing the forum, it seems that the RP community is kind of coming back on it's own. I've read about a new Scarlet guild that just came up and I believe there was one more? I've seen a few people making posts whom I had believed were inactive, so it's good signs all around! With this all in mind, I'll kind of take count and see how active things truly are in-game when I've fully returned and if people are still interested in this idea. Either way though, I thank people for offering their input and support.
Halfway Decent
Tester

by JCarrill0 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Scarlet has charter and some sigs but needs more
My guild is on hold until you decide weather to use it or I will make it into its own thibg
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Halfway Decent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 am

JCarrill0 wrote:Scarlet has charter and some sigs but needs more
My guild is on hold until you decide weather to use it or I will make it into its own thibg

Oh, I was under the impression it was already formed. Alright then, though I did see another RP guild when I was on an alt earlier. I only have internet for a small amount of time so I've been trying to get on Gilliam much yet. xD "of (some house)" or something like that? I'm not sure if it's just a charter or not, but it still stands that I'm seeing more people being active!

Regardless, though, don't wait on me JC. Just go ahead and do your own thing with your guild. If the community is getting active again and RP is generating on its own, we won't need this guild. I can always do the tavern portion as just random events to facilitate RP without the guild.
Halfway Decent
Tester

by Avenhold » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Halfway Decent wrote:Unfortunately, I've been absent over the past week due to moving, and I'm unsure of the exact time of which I'll have internet on my computer and be able to return!.

I know the feeling, I've been dealing with the same. Only just today have I managed to get myself back up and running after a break.

I still believe an umbrella guild would benefit the community at this point, while we continue to build the member base. If there are other RP guilds cropping up, it should be encouraged. After all, we won't be able to flick a switch and move from the over-guild to multiple groups, companies, factions and so on. It'll be a process.

You could even see the idea as more of a "job shop group". When splinter groups open up, they can recruit from the umbrella people. ;)
Avenhold
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Role Play