How To: Maximize Quality and Smoothness

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: How To: Optimize Quality and Performance

by Shadowlurk » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:40 am

Bump! People should know about this more than ever. The server has launched and you need to optimize your game!
Want your game to look visually stunning and run silky smooth? Read my guide.
Shadowlurk - Level 29 Troll Rogue (Expert Leatherworker / Expert Skinner)
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Letokteren » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Shadowlurk wrote:Bump! People should know about this more than ever. The server has launched and you need to optimize your game!

I suggest a sticky.
Letokteren
Grunt
Grunt

by Shadowlurk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Letokteren wrote:
Shadowlurk wrote:Bump! People should know about this more than ever. The server has launched and you need to optimize your game!

I suggest a sticky.

Yeah I just sent a PM to Viper requesting a sticky on this.

Thank you for your support.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: How To: Maximize Quality and Smoothness

by Violetdream » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

This actually works. Have tried other commands ive found on other threads none of them worked
Violetdream
Private
Private

by osmoZ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this tread !
I just have 2 questions about this.

1) When I entered every commands into the console, even if I disconnect, the next time I log on, ALL the changes will be save ? Or I have to type again some commands every time I connect ?

2) Can we make both modifications or is it just one ? (Quality, and Smoothness).
I'd prefer the Quality modifications but if it doesnt change anything to these I'd also like to try the commands for the smoothness...
osmoZ
Grunt
Grunt

by Shadowlurk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:35 pm

osmoZ wrote:Hi,

Thanks a lot for this tread !
I just have 2 questions about this.

1) When I entered every commands into the console, even if I disconnect, the next time I log on, ALL the changes will be save ? Or I have to type again some commands every time I connect ?

2) Can we make both modifications or is it just one ? (Quality, and Smoothness).
I'd prefer the Quality modifications but if it doesnt change anything to these I'd also like to try the commands for the smoothness...

1. All changes get saved when you select "Exit Game". Closing the game by any abnormal means (alt+f4) may not save changes.

2. Quality and smoothness are two very desirable things in games. Perform both sets of modifications if you can, not just the quality ones.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Volodor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:07 pm

If the smoothness part of this guide doesn't increase FPS, what does it do? #RetardQuestion
Volodor <Raid is Dead>
Volodor
Private
Private

by Shadowlurk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Volodor wrote:If the smoothness part of this guide doesn't increase FPS, what does it do? #RetardQuestion

Although nothing below is guaranteed, these types of commands tend to have the following effects (even if subtle):

• Reduced microstuttering. Even with high FPS, certain factors can create a "stuttering" effect that is extremely annoying to look at.
  • Reduced mouse input latency. By taking a more aggressive approach to GPU synchronization, mouse input lag can be reduced. There is added overhead, however...which reduces FPS.
  • Reduced or completely eliminated screen tearing. By limiting FPS at a value you can constantly maintain (via Vertical Synchronization and Triple Buffering), frametimes stay constant. When FPS is not fluctuating drastically, the resulting image is much more fluid and appealing.

Excellent question. I will add these details to the Frequently Asked Questions section on the original post.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Volodor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Shadowlurk wrote:
Volodor wrote:If the smoothness part of this guide doesn't increase FPS, what does it do? #RetardQuestion

Although nothing below is guaranteed, these types of commands tend to have the following effects (even if subtle):

• Reduced microstuttering. Even with high FPS, certain factors can create a "stuttering" effect that is extremely annoying to look at.
  • Reduced mouse input latency. By taking a more aggressive approach to GPU synchronization, mouse input lag can be reduced. There is added overhead, however...which reduces FPS.
  • Reduced or completely eliminated screen tearing. By limiting FPS at a value you can constantly maintain (via Vertical Synchronization and Triple Buffering), frametimes stay constant. When FPS is not fluctuating drastically, the resulting image is much more fluid and appealing.

Excellent question. I will add these details to the Frequently Asked Questions section on the original post.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll test it out later and report back.

I think it's safe to assume that if my laptop can't handle the in-game settings at full whack it won't be able to handle these custom settings? It has a Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz with 4GB of RAM and whatever horrible integrated graphics card it came with. It's 5 years old now but I did just re-install Windows about 3 days ago so it's running quite well at the moment.
Volodor <Raid is Dead>
Volodor
Private
Private

by Shadowlurk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Volodor wrote:Thanks for the quick reply! I'll test it out later and report back.

I think it's safe to assume that if my laptop can't handle the in-game settings at full whack it won't be able to handle these custom settings? It has a Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz with 4GB of RAM and whatever horrible integrated graphics card it came with. It's 5 years old now but I did just re-install Windows about 3 days ago so it's running quite well at the moment.

That is very safe to assume. You can even apply the exact opposite of these commands in order to gain FPS at the loss of visual quality.

If more FPS is your goal, I'd scour through my Google Docs spreadsheet to create your own "maximum performance" configuration.
Shadowlurk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius