Need Help Picking A Class

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Need Help Picking A Class

by Zeigler » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:45 am

I just started playing on this server today but I don't know what I want to play, once I do start I want to stick with it since 1-60 is a long grind. I am pretty much narrowed down to Tauren Druid, Undead Mage, or Orc Hunter. I started playing during WOTLK so I don't know much about what is viable in this version, other suggestions are also welcome. Input is greatly appreciated, Thank You!!! :D :D :D
Zeigler
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Need Help Picking A Class

by pete4613 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 am

Well druids are always nice and if you're looking into PVE, a healing spot won't be hard to find, however if youre more to dps and spamming frostbolts all day long, mage is the way to go. Haven´t played hunters much, but they´re abit more interesting as far as I know than the mage pve aspect.
pete4613
Sergeant
Sergeant

by varth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Druid is very fun to play and somewhat viable in endgame pve as a healer, not as much in demand as priests but they still can do well. In pvp they are monsters, best flag carriers and the hardest class to kill while still doing good damage. They level pretty well as feral

Mages are fantastic in pve, best dps to have in raids due to being ranged and good damage, but you will have to be frost until AQ. You will find 5mans/10mans easily since sheep is incredibly powerful in vanilla. They level pretty well as fire. PvP they are monsters due to arcane power and PoM, sheep lasts 30 seconds against other players, if you get trinkets you can kill anything on the server.

Hunters are the worst at pve, you are pretty much only taken along for tranq shot and pulling, and due to coding you normally can't use pets in raid. In 5 mans you are decent, but mages are the #1 preferred due to sheep. leveling is by far the fastest and most stable, due to tracking, pet, and decent dps and movespeed.
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Uzephi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Go druid if you want to be used for Brez and innervate, I have vanilla memories of our druid just going into bear and humping half the raid while he was waiting for his hots to fall off the tanks. Druid heals weren't that great and only assisted in certain fights.

Mages as glass cannons. Whelps will be your worst nightmare, but you will be wanted in raids. Don't expect to be fire or arcane until AQ for raiding. Finding a decent wand per situational purposes was interesting.

Hunters were pretty much pullers and removed enrages. Other than that, two or three abilities and you were pretty much oom (you had to make sure you had enough mana for tranq so you had to keep reserve mana for it). You had to time your Aimed shot with your auto shot timer to maximize your DPS as over half your DPS was from auto shots due to mana limitations.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hydra9268 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Zeigler wrote:I just started playing on this server today but I don't know what I want to play, once I do start I want to stick with it since 1-60 is a long grind. I am pretty much narrowed down to Tauren Druid, Undead Mage, or Orc Hunter. I started playing during WOTLK so I don't know much about what is viable in this version, other suggestions are also welcome. Input is greatly appreciated, Thank You!!! :D :D :D

The question I believe you wish to ask is "What would I like to do at end game?"

Here are a few "answers":

• "I would like to deal damage and raid." I recommend Rogue, Mage, Hunter and Warlock.
  • "I would like to defend and lead a raid." I recommend Warrior.
  • "I would like to keep my friends alive and raid." I recommend Priest and Shaman.
  • "I would like to buff my friends and raid." I recommend Shaman.
  • "I would like to help the raid control mobs." I recommend Mage, Rogue, Priest, and Hunter.
  • "I would just like to kill lots of players in PVP." I recommend Rogue, Shaman, Warrior, Mage, Hunter, and Warlock. Actually depending the situation every class has the ability to be OP in PVP.

Hopefully one of these will help determine the class.
DO NOT WANT PRISTINE REALMS!!!
Hydra9268
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Garfunkel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:04 pm

varth wrote:Druid is very fun to play and somewhat viable in endgame pve as a healer, not as much in demand as priests but they still can do well. In pvp they are monsters, best flag carriers and the hardest class to kill while still doing good damage. They level pretty well as feral

Mages are fantastic in pve, best dps to have in raids due to being ranged and good damage, but you will have to be frost until AQ. You will find 5mans/10mans easily since sheep is incredibly powerful in vanilla. They level pretty well as fire. PvP they are monsters due to arcane power and PoM, sheep lasts 30 seconds against other players, if you get trinkets you can kill anything on the server.

Hunters are the worst at pve, you are pretty much only taken along for tranq shot and pulling, and due to coding you normally can't use pets in raid. In 5 mans you are decent, but mages are the #1 preferred due to sheep. leveling is by far the fastest and most stable, due to tracking, pet, and decent dps and movespeed.

Fire mages do enough DPS in MC and BWL to be viable since there aren't that many bosses or mobs that are actually immune to fire and then you can spam frostbolt. I should know, I played one and raided MC->Naxx. This idea that only frost mages can raid is just a silly misunderstanding that is repeated by people who think that every boss and mob is immune to fire in both MC and BWL. But you will be behind frost mages in DPS meters.

Feral/resto druid can also do off-tanking for raiding better than a fury warrior because when not tanking, they can heal, so while most druids are full resto for healing, it's not the only thing they do.

Plus, raiding isn't the end all, be all of vanilla WoW. The leveling process should be fun as well and PvP is a very viable option as well. Don't get tunnel vision.
FInd me on: Laureliana - Lauraliana - Lauroliana - Lauruliana - Lauriliana
NELF POWER!
Garfunkel
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius