Beginner's Guide [Linux]

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

Re: Beginner's Guide [Linux]

by celli0987 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Hey guys, I have a very strange problem with my client! downloaded the torrent and all. Anytime I try to run wow.exe, nothing happens at all. My wotlk client works fine, as well as my cataclysm client. So I know wine is working, I just can't understand why my vanilla client can't even open.
celli0987
Tester

by mythica » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:51 am

Am using Linux Mint 17.1.

I was lost when I read at the start of this page "Open the terminal and write:..." because the image is broken. Actually, all of the above images are broken.

Would someone please be so kind as to advise what it is I'm suppose to write in the command terminal?

Thank you!
mythica
Private
Private

by Floux » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:45 am

Just edit the "WTF/Config.wtf" file and add this line
Code: Select all
SET gxAPI "OpenGL"

Install Wine and run the game !
Hel - undead warlock (beta)
Cernunnos - night elf druid
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by mythica » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:53 am

Thank you very much for replying.

It looks as though that's already in there, so I didn't need to change it :)

*Edit: Was looking in an old MoP folder.

Downloaded from Torrent (Vanilla WoW) - which took a good while, only to discover that the WTF folder is empty. Sigh.

I may actually get to play on Nostalrius one day at this rate.....
mythica
Private
Private

by Floux » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 am

If the WTF folder is empty, just run the game and close it. The Config.wtf file should be created when you run the client. Then add the OpenGL line and it should be ok !
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by mythica » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Thank you.

Dramas just keep coming. CrossOver insists I remove Nvidia 331 driver - meanwhile, driver manager won't let me change back to the Nouveau driver - when I try, it simply reverts back to 331.

The game won't open - fatal errors all over the place like a mad woman's custard.

This stuff could only happen to me....
mythica
Private
Private

by Floux » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Do not remove the Nvidia driver, it is fine and far more better than Nouveau. Do not use CrossOver, Wine is sufficient and simplier !
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by mythica » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Thank you for the advice, Floux. Have deleted CrossOver now (it was as helpful as a wet paper bag anyway) and the driver remains as nvidia 331.

I may have to just delete Wine and Play on Linux and try to start again but for now, my eyeballs are hanging out and I need to take a break from this.

The torrent download from Vanilla Gaming isn't working - as mentioned earlier, wine is having little heart attacks of 'fatal errors' and given that I'm really not gifted with a techie brain, it's more than likely something I'm doing wrong.

Will no doubt stumble upon a solution eventually, but thank you very much for all your patient help ;)
mythica
Private
Private

by Floux » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:02 pm

No problem, it is always a pleasure to help a fellow penguin ! ;)
Floux
Sergeant
Sergeant

by mythica » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Aww you're a treasure :)
mythica
Private
Private

PreviousNext