Shield Enchant Cloak Combo

Re: Shield Enchant Cloak Combo

by Irachkom » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:39 pm

If you're using Shield Block 100% times you dont even need any +def, because while shield blocked you got more than 102% on block+miss+dodge+parry= crit/crushing immune
Irachkom
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Armilus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Irachkom wrote:If you're using Shield Block 100% times you dont even need any +def, because while shield blocked you got more than 102% on block+miss+dodge+parry= crit/crushing immune

Keep in mind that shield block only has 2 charges. Some bosses can hit often enough to land 3 hits in one shield block cooldown. Broodlord has an MS ability, this should use a shield block. If he uses it right after the second auto attack you won't have any shield block charges left. I'm not sure if bosses are only supposed to use these abilities in place of an auto attack but on ED they definitely did not. You could get hit with auto attack, MS, blastwave all within 0.5s.

Also, if you are tanking lots of mobs that don't hit very hard block starts to get WAY better and shield block is nearly useless as the charges are consumed instantly.

But ya, should have shield block up 100% on most bosses without any block chance increases.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Irachkom » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:30 am

Armilus wrote:
Irachkom wrote:If you're using Shield Block 100% times you dont even need any +def, because while shield blocked you got more than 102% on block+miss+dodge+parry= crit/crushing immune

Keep in mind that shield block only has 2 charges. Some bosses can hit often enough to land 3 hits in one shield block cooldown. Broodlord has an MS ability, this should use a shield block. If he uses it right after the second auto attack you won't have any shield block charges left. I'm not sure if bosses are only supposed to use these abilities in place of an auto attack but on ED they definitely did not. You could get hit with auto attack, MS, blastwave all within 0.5s.

Also, if you are tanking lots of mobs that don't hit very hard block starts to get WAY better and shield block is nearly useless as the charges are consumed instantly.

But ya, should have shield block up 100% on most bosses without any block chance increases.

In theory - yes, but if you got like ~10-15% to dodge and ~10% to parry and ~7% to miss = even 3 attacks are almost impossible...
Irachkom
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Plask » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:23 am

Magmadar and Chromaggus Frenzy, Three drakes in BWL have thrash etc. There's also parry haste speeding up boss attacks (whenever you're attacks gets parried) and instant attacks as mortal strike. All are examples of what can eat your shield block charges before you get the ability off cooldown again.

In theory if the boss has absolutely no kinds of instant attacks or cleaves (Cleaves are instant attacks in vanilla on lots of bosses i noticed), and you get no parries at all: it could indeed keep you crit/crush immune with shield block.

Regarding cleaves being instant attacks for example take a look at http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=15284 the cleave broodlord have. It's not based on swingtimer at all but is actually a instant attack. This is probably why bosses like broodlord sometimes chain mortal strikes with attacks and cleave etc. Instant attacks with no global cooldown. I've myself seen 2 or sometimes 3 hits within less then a second on for example broodlord, and drakes thrash is 3 instant attacks.

Anyways I don't think there is any point discussing whether or not defense is a good stat. We can all see the reliability in being critcapped, and you will be forced to pick up atleast +100 defense if you're using the top tier gear anyways.
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Irachkom » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 am

Plask wrote:

Magmadar and Chromaggus Frenzy, Three drakes in BWL have thrash etc. There's also parry haste speeding up boss attacks (whenever you're attacks gets parried) and instant attacks as mortal strike. All are examples of what can eat your shield block charges before you get the ability off cooldown again.

In theory if the boss has absolutely no kinds of instant attacks or cleaves (Cleaves are instant attacks in vanilla on lots of bosses i noticed), and you get no parries at all: it could indeed keep you crit/crush immune with shield block.

Regarding cleaves being instant attacks for example take a look at http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=15284 the cleave broodlord have. It's not based on swingtimer at all but is actually a instant attack. This is probably why bosses like broodlord sometimes chain mortal strikes with attacks and cleave etc. Instant attacks with no global cooldown. I've myself seen 2 or sometimes 3 hits within less then a second on for example broodlord, and drakes thrash is 3 instant attacks.

Anyways I don't think there is any point discussing whether or not defense is a good stat. We can all see the reliability in being critcapped, and you will be forced to pick up atleast +100 defense if you're using the top tier gear anyways.

youre right, but still theres no point of picking +def over stam/armor/avoidance
Irachkom
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:29 am

There is plenty of reason, it is called knock down, stun or anything that causes character control loss while maintaining aggro.

The cases are where the unavoidable spike damages happen, if you want to not prioritize def and get face melted by crits then be my guest.

The lack of item nerf answers this thread. Redoubt until nerf, the use Overlords until AQ cloak.

Attempting to hijack a thread with shit advise in regards to not worring about def.... take that shit else where before you confuse people new to tanking with bad ideas.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by propergamer1978 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:35 am

would like to get move visibility to this thread. I'm also using redoubt and passing overlord's embrace to furies atm. I like my long cape!
propergamer1978
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by JeeTee » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:02 am

I think overlords is more for 5 man/trash. Same as 2% block enchant.

Block % doesn't do much on bosses, unless you could get enough to reach passive crushing immunity, which you can't.
JeeTee
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:53 pm

I have Overloards banked til redoubt gets nerfed to no def. Yeah block 2 on shield is better for 5 man, stam better for raids.

When I have both chromag and hakkar shields, i will do block on halkar and stam on chrom to emphasize thier their strenghths.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Plask » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:08 am

Irachkom wrote:
Plask wrote:

youre right, but still theres no point of picking +def over stam/armor/avoidance

Then roll a Druid tank? :)
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to Warrior