[in game] Help new warr tank

Re: [in game] Help new warr tank

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:57 pm

healzplz wrote:ITT: Absolutely miserable tanking advice

OP should ignore most of everything posted above.

You say you like your talents so I won't trash them, but there are some problems for both leveling and tanking there. However here's some REAL advice on AoE tanking that will actually help you quite a lot more than your talents or the hideous advice the other posted:

1. Spam Battle Shout. When in doubt - Battle Shout.
2. Never change from defensive stance except for Mocking Blow. Stance dancing like suggested abouve is completely useless and counterproductive. You're threat modifier is only 0.8 in battle stance.
3. Pull with bow and then pop bloodrage, use some rotation of battle shouts/tab sunder/shieldblock+revenge, pull the next pack before your rage from the previous fight dissipates if bloodrage on cooldown.

Sweeping strikes ww is a bad idea? Thunderclap to reduce enemy attack speed a bad idea?.

What a joke. You can contribute without shitting on everybody first. What you said is mot wrong, but your beginning remarks make you a narrow minded assclown.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Darkroman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Good luck stance dancing in UBRS with pre-raid gear post pull. You'll get roflstomped. Have a DPS warr or OT thunderclap in that situation.

Just range pull in zerker stance --> zerker rage --> switch to defensive stance --> bloodrage --> battle shout --> demo shout --> tab sunder, revenge on kill target, cleave if you have an abundance of rage.
Darkroman
Tester

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:59 pm

The post is about low level aoe tanking.

Undergeared UBRS tanking should be done with an imp revenge spec, and is not up to debate as this is an instance with much CC should the majority of the OP question makes your statement obsolete.

But glad you good could brain storm and find 1 example of a scenario that does not even aplly to the question.

/golfclap
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Darkroman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:52 am

Undertanker wrote:The post is about low level aoe tanking.

Undergeared UBRS tanking should be done with an imp revenge spec, and is not up to debate as this is an instance with much CC should the majority of the OP question makes your statement obsolete.

But glad you good could brain storm and find 1 example of a scenario that does not even aplly to the question.

/golfclap

Oh, Low level tanking, oh shit, I'm so so... wait no I'm not.

Doing all that stance dancing in even low level dungeons is pretty useless unless you have 5/5 tactical mastery (it's 25 rage to whirlwind, 20 rage to thunderclap, that is some expensive rage use there and your talent points are better put in something else once you hit 2/5 tactical mastery). Is the pull gonna even last that long? Is that whirlwind, and thunderclap worth the amount of damage you take while in zerker and battle stance? All that stance dancing is just showing off being all like "lolz luk wut i cun dooo durrr". If you can't keep aggro from just bloodrage, battle shout, and demo shout and tab sundering, then you're bad, or the DPS in your group is bad.
Darkroman
Tester

by Undertanker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:48 pm

In a leveling spec with my example including sweeping strikes WW combo, 4/5 tatical mastery is taken. You keep 20 rage, stance stance keeps swing timer going. If you swap right before an auto attack, the auto attack lands right after the stance dance, but the swing time runs from when the first swing should have taken place, giving you two white hits right after your dance to zerker stance, rage for WW will be there.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Darkroman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:24 am

Undertanker wrote:In a leveling spec with my example including sweeping strikes WW combo, 4/5 tatical mastery is taken. You keep 20 rage, stance stance keeps swing timer going. If you swap right before an auto attack, the auto attack lands right after the stance dance, but the swing time runs from when the first swing should have taken place, giving you two white hits right after your dance to zerker stance, rage for WW will be there.

I don't know man. It just seems a tad bit overkill. That's all I'm getting at. I'm not saying thunderclap, or whirlwind is useless, but I am saying in this case it is because of the extra damage you'll take from not being in defensive stance during the time. In my experience bloodrage, battle shout, and demo shout were enough. When it comes to pulls with non-elite mobs, the DPS can handle usually those themselves.

Also thanks for not being a total dickwad in that last reply. Let's not be dickwads to eachother. <3
Darkroman
Tester

by Undertanker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:38 am

It could be overkill, or could be needed. All pulls are situational. Typically 1 or 2 are casters in an aoe setting, so it rately is giant physical damage.

Also that small percent of extra damage taken will in turn give you more rage for snap aggro.

All things tanking are situational.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by zmandude24 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Yea there's not much you can do as far as AoE threat, but the good news is that at lower levels, you only need to worry about tanking 3 or 4 mobs at the same time at most. As for swarms of nonelites, the ranged dps should be able to aoe them down before they kill anyone. As for multiple targets, make sure you are lead if no one is marking a skull and give all of the elites a sunder (or revenge when up), and then give the skull 3 ability hits and then all the others one ability hit (bind the skull raid mark since when you kill anything in a dungeon, the mark goes away). If the dps pull aggro on an elite that's not skull when skull is up, they are bad since they should be focusing skull. Also don't be afraid to use other marks for cc when you have it available (mages can sheep, hunters can trap, etc.) since it will make it much easier on your healer.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Scarnavax » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Problem is that every caster start aoe as Soon as i engage...
I explain

I bloodrage in Def stance
Run To mobs
Batle shout and then shield Block+revenge and start sunderspam

but

As Soon as i Run To mobs They typical hunter or mage or lock start rainmof fire blizzard or volley...

And They start "omgom,gomg aggro taunt taunt taunt" srsly... I miss consecration.../:-)
Scarnavax
Grunt
Grunt

by sownu » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Scarnavax wrote:Problem is that every caster start aoe as Soon as i engage...
I explain

I bloodrage in Def stance
Run To mobs
Batle shout and then shield Block+revenge and start sunderspam

but

As Soon as i Run To mobs They typical hunter or mage or lock start rainmof fire blizzard or volley...

And They start "omgom,gomg aggro taunt taunt taunt" srsly... I miss consecration.../:-)

so? you get more rage irl = more rage in game = better aoe threat

win win
sownu
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Warrior