Crits and Crushing Blows on Nostalrius

Crits and Crushing Blows on Nostalrius

by Problazer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:04 pm

I have read on these forums that both crit and crushing blow mechanics are not Blizzlike on this server.

From what I understand the Shield Block ability is pushing Crushing AND Crits off of the hit table. So with perfect shield block spam you don't need def cap to be crit immune.

Further I am reading that dodge and parry are pushing crushing blows off of the hit table along with shield block, so you dont even need 25% block to be crushing immune with shield block spam.

Have both of these statements been proven true?

Because if so HP, Armor, dodge > Def.

This hasn't really effected my gear choice until recently. I'm now trying to compare Bloodsoaked Gauntlets vs. Stonegrip Gauntlets.

Aside from the armor and extra strength, if i'm avoiding crits on 99% of content due to the shield block ability, wouldn't dodge % be the obvious choice?

Now I realize even if the above to statements are true def cap still has a role (Nef during warrior class calls). But aside from an exception or two it sounds to me like stam/armor/dodge are almost always superior to defense on this server.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Crits and Crushing Blows on Nostalrius

by Heldunder » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:37 pm

i dont know about all of that, but def cap on this server does seem a little over rated. meaning, i NEVER get crit or even crushed after i hit 420~ def even without spamming shield block. but i may be wrong.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Armilus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm

I am pretty sure that shield block did not push crit off the attack table in retail but I can't find any evidence to prove it.

I remember defense being the only thing that reduced crit chance and even at 440 there was still a small chance to be crit.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by JeeTee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:46 pm

If I recall correctly, blocking takes crit and crushing blows off the combat table. So as long as you have shield block on you will never be crushed or crit.

The reason you want defense cap is that shield block isn't always 100% up and you still won't have a chance of being crit as long as defense capped. Crushing blows can only be taken off the combat table with shield block regardless of defense.

I have heard from people that on this server you don't need 440 defense to cap, but it's more like 420. I don't have any evidence that supports this claim.

Crushing blows seem to work correctly in my experience.

When the you activate shield block, all that you are doing is forcing attacks to be a parry, dodge, or block. This eliminates the other possible outcomes of the combat roll.
JeeTee
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Armilus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 pm

JeeTee wrote:If I recall correctly, blocking takes crit and crushing blows off the combat table. So as long as you have shield block on you will never be crushed or crit.

The reason you want defense cap is that shield block isn't always 100% up and you still won't have a chance of being crit as long as defense capped. Crushing blows can only be taken off the combat table with shield block regardless of defense.

I have heard from people that on this server you don't need 440 defense to cap, but it's more like 420. I don't have any evidence that supports this claim.

When the you activate shield block, all that you are doing is forcing attacks to be a parry, dodge, or block. This eliminates the other possible outcomes of the combat roll.

Yes, this is how it works on every private server I have played on but I am pretty sure it is incorrect. I've tried to find evidence before but I couldn't find anything that either confirms or disproves this.

Edit: AHA! Someone posted a link to web archive of old wow forums, found some good stuff there.

http://web.archive.org/web/200610230024 ... /block.php

Looks like shield block always pushed crit off the attack table.
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Problazer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:36 pm

JeeTee wrote:If I recall correctly, blocking takes crit and crushing blows off the combat table. So as long as you have shield block on you will never be crushed or crit.

From what I have read it looks like 420 def puts you at 1% chance to be crit by a lvl 63 mob. I believe this number comes from retail when it was considered too much of a stat trade off to reach 440 def.

This link Armilus shared here has a table showing the crit % chance depending on def and the lvl mob you are fighting.

Interesting to note that shield block pushes crushing and crits off of the table. Does anyone have any evidence showing that dodge/parry/miss are also pushing crushing/crits off of the table when in conjunction with shield block?
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by zmandude24 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm

In theory you only need 25.6%+ avoidance plus block chance to be crit immune on this server, but in practice you will only be crit immune to the bosses that have a 2.5 attack speed or slower and no stuns, knockdown, etc.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Armilus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Problazer wrote:Interesting to note that shield block pushes crushing and crits off of the table. Does anyone have any evidence showing that dodge/parry/miss are also pushing crushing/crits off of the table when in conjunction with shield block?

Ya, that has been researched to death since 2005.

I covered this in detail here, it's in the section on Mitigation. I recommend reading the entire guide in order, I wrote it so that concepts are introduced one at a time in a sensible order, if you try to skip halfway down the guide and start there, it might not make sense.
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Plask » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:00 am

Problazer wrote:I have read on these forums that both crit and crushing blow mechanics are not Blizzlike on this server.

From what I understand the Shield Block ability is pushing Crushing AND Crits off of the hit table. So with perfect shield block spam you don't need def cap to be crit immune.

Further I am reading that dodge and parry are pushing crushing blows off of the hit table along with shield block, so you dont even need 25% block to be crushing immune with shield block spam.

Have both of these statements been proven true?

Because if so HP, Armor, dodge > Def.

This hasn't really effected my gear choice until recently. I'm now trying to compare Bloodsoaked Gauntlets vs. Stonegrip Gauntlets.

Aside from the armor and extra strength, if i'm avoiding crits on 99% of content due to the shield block ability, wouldn't dodge % be the obvious choice?

Now I realize even if the above to statements are true def cap still has a role (Nef during warrior class calls). But aside from an exception or two it sounds to me like stam/armor/dodge are almost always superior to defense on this server.

There's no such thing as perfect shield blocks. Parry haste, special attacks, instant attacks and frenzy etc will all counter shield block.

Besides reducing damage taken is hardly a prio as you get more then enough from the raidgear. But a crit can be unhealable in lots cases. Although you're right that defense sucks as a stat, it still serves a purpose up to 440.
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by snowtime » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:24 am

i seem to remember getting crit through my blocks a few months back. guess it doesn't matter anymore for me since i'm def capped without having to sacrifice anything
snowtime
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Warrior