[Solved] Question regarding versatile build

[Solved] Question regarding versatile build

by DanielGames » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 am

I have yet to ding 60 and I'm pretty open on the role of raid dps or tanking. However until I find a guild with good raid times, I'm thinking of going with a jack of all trades kinda build. I realise the shortcomings of this as I don't have access to 2 fury talents, impale and imp. op for dps and I don't have access to shield slam as prot. Optimal talents aren't a concern of mine until I find a raiding guild that needs a specific role.

So my question is do you agree with this build here? Should I take some points out of DW or flurry for 2/2 execute?

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LZVV0VxxoVoxizox

edit:

DanielGames wrote:Ty for the suggestions. I think I'll go with a mortal strike / tank talents build while gearing.

Don't mistake what I originally wrote. I fully intend to respec after I find a guild and know what role they want that I have the gear for.
Last edited by DanielGames on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zouleika - Troll Warrior "Requests curse of reck and tanks with a 2hander? I like this guy"
Gerwulf - Horde Paladin "Where the fuck you been?"
DanielGames
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Question regarding versatile build

by St0rfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:44 am

DanielGames wrote:I have yet to ding 60 and I'm pretty open on the role of raid dps or tanking. However until I find a guild with good raid times, I'm thinking of going with a jack of all trades kinda build. I realise the shortcomings of this as I don't have access to 2 fury talents, impale and imp. op for dps and I don't have access to shield slam as prot. Optimal talents aren't a concern of mine until I find a raiding guild that needs a specific role.

So my question is do you agree with this build here? Should I take some points out of DW or flurry for 2/2 execute?

Hybrid tanks are a thing of the past and are pretty useless really.

"Jack of all trades - Apprentice in many, but master in none".
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lingon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

St0rfan wrote:
DanielGames wrote:I have yet to ding 60 and I'm pretty open on the role of raid dps or tanking. However until I find a guild with good raid times, I'm thinking of going with a jack of all trades kinda build. I realise the shortcomings of this as I don't have access to 2 fury talents, impale and imp. op for dps and I don't have access to shield slam as prot. Optimal talents aren't a concern of mine until I find a raiding guild that needs a specific role.

Hybrid tanks are a thing of the past and are pretty useless really.

"Jack of all trades - Apprentice in many, but master in none".

But that's the point in OPs question - What to do when you don't know where the game/guilds will take you?

That said - St0rfan and others often tell of how any spec can tank at least up to mc lvl content.

I'm not 60 again either, but at lvl 50 I'm getting a standard impale-fury build w/o dw-spec. I'll see how tanking feels later, but so far it's been fine, and it will likely be all fine and dandy unless I play with overgeared or triggerhappy DPS.
Lingon
Grunt
Grunt

by JeeTee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Your spec will work fine. 31/5/15 also works fine. Hybrid tanking worked 10 years ago and still works. You can tank in a pure dps spec as well. I wouldn't when gearing up though.

You are going to be tanking 95% of the time while gearing up so keep that in mind aswell.

With regard to raiding guilds: get bis or close with both roles and be flexible. There are so many warriors on this server so try to make yourself stand out.
JeeTee
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Sevvy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:29 pm

I still think the best thing you can do is to spec prot when you hit 60, and run dungeons 24/7 until you're pre-raid BiS.

If you're pre-raid BiS Fury, use a good DPS spec when trying to find a guild, not a hybrid spec. If you app for a decent guild and show them that spec, they might not take you.

If you plan to tank, and are just trying to get in somewhere as the 3rd/4th tank and still want to DPS when you're not tanking, a spec like that might be okay. But when you're a situational tank in a guild, you should still be able to tank as Fury, and then switch back to full DPS when you're not tanking. Which imo, requires a full DPS spec.
Sevvy - Gnome Warrior

Nice weapon chain, shitter.
Sevvy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by DanielGames » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:11 am

Thanks for the feedback.
Zouleika - Troll Warrior "Requests curse of reck and tanks with a 2hander? I like this guy"
DanielGames
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Heldunder » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:58 pm

DanielGames wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

the most common cookie cutter hybrid is 31/5/15 or 31/3/17( my pref) and it helps a lot with tanking. and you still get to pvp some. your choice.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm

I agree with Savv, it is best for you to gear while tanking, as you can run two instances as a tank in the time it takes to find one as fury.

You should start your own groups this way, and be picky with what classes you bring in to optimize your gear needs when possible. Though if no other dps available, don't not run cause a rogue fury wants in if casters are not available. Also you cant afford to pay for tanks as a fury needs the gold for helm/enchants/devilsaure and what not. + enchants.

Go full prot and 4/5 tatical mastery. Imp revrnge is OP and keeping mobs stunned with help with your lack of def on your gear.

Tatical mastery cause you will have to run a lot of 5, 10, and step into ZG, AoE tanking is 75% of the battle. This will let you stance dance to open with a thinderclap, then whirlwind then go def with normal rotations, making snap AoE aggro gelreat and Thunderclap being up to reduce damage.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Undertanker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Also for your guild spot searching, an established guild will be looking for somebody that can do 1 thing great, and fill in for another. Don't half ass two things.

The hybrid build I see would be besy if you are tanking in PVP for rank 12 or higher yet still raiding. Then swap to a full time spec when done.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by DanielGames » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 am

Ty for the suggestions. I think I'll go with a mortal strike / tank talents build while gearing.

Don't mistake what I originally wrote. I fully intend to respec after I find a guild and know what role they want that I have the gear for.

edit:

I'll probably go with a 31/5/15 or 31/3/17 build so I can pvp and still tank dungeons. For picking the prot talents, how would you prioritise the following? Anticipation (unless uncritable) > Toughness > Shield Spec. (unless going for Imp. Shield Block)?
DanielGames
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Warrior