[in game] Help new warr tank

[in game] Help new warr tank

by Scarnavax » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 pm

So i was assuming a thing concerning aoe warrior (i know dont laugh lemme explain first).

As seen that our aoe is inexistant, i was trying to cover it in this way (especially for low level dungeons where you are forced to aoe pull)

first of all i am using a hybrid leveling spec for both tanking and, ofc, leveling. It is as follows (im stopped at 30 actually)

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhbbZZAbz0h

which will become something like this once i get to level 50
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LhbhZZEizoeMd0o

secondly i ususally pull as it follows:

IF MELEE PACK: battle stance and charge>thunderclap>go def stance+bloodrage>demo shout>tab sunder>shield block and reveng on cd.

IF CASTER: bow pull in loss (already in DS) >bloodrage>sunder the first kill tartget> demo shout>shield block OR bash.

now my question is: for AOE threat is better battle shout or demo? they mmake same level of threat? or i mistake totally?

thanks in advance for any tip! :mrgreen:
Scarnavax
Grunt
Grunt

Re: [in game] Help new warr tank

by Heldunder » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:02 pm

your solo leveling with this build with be so painful you will reroll to another class.

in retail you can level prot, thats fine, but in vanilla, you honestly cant.

you wont have any real threat issues until you hit 60. just roll fury until 60. youll save yourself a lot of pain.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Scarnavax » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Heldunder wrote:your solo leveling with this build with be so painful you will reroll to another class.

you wont have any real threat issues until you hit 60. just roll fury until 60. youll save yourself a lot of pain.

Glad To See ur answer was useless i asked about tanking and u respond again for leveling build which is a thing i dont care because i am leveling godly with this build.

Please Read again question....

now my question is: for AOE threat is better battle shout or demo? they mmake same level of threat? or i mistake totally?
Scarnavax
Grunt
Grunt

by Heldunder » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm

im just looking out for your sanity. realistically at low levels, tab sunder is more than enough. rage starved after you have zerker stance caster beserker rage stance dance to def and tab sunder away.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Lingon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 am

Battle Shout is a buff you always want to have active, since it lasts 2 minutes it shouldn't be a big problem.
If you don't have an active battle shout, it's got really high priority and decent threat.
Demo shout is in the same spot (IIRC) - if there's not one already on the mobs, it produces more threat than if you reapply it. It's pretty much always worth it to use Demo shout.

Otherwise, you seem to have the aoe tanking deal sealed. When you whirlwind, you'll want to throw one in there too along with using zerker rage to get more rage from damage taken.

Unwanted talent advice:
To begin with, you want Deflection (parry talent). After lvl 25, Rend is pretty useless due to damage falloff vs other abilities, so if you're not getting Impale, you don't want Improved Rend.
Heroic strike talent is OK if you have a fast weapon (and thus it has a low hidden rage cost (hidden because you don't generate rage from the regular weapon attack it replaces), but with slow weapons it's bad).
You really want Anger management. The talent works in a way that it's 20 rage per minute, always (1 rage/3 sec), and also lets you keep rage while healers/dpsers sit down to drink.
Since you're that far down in Arms, you might as well get Improved Overpower to increase your soloing power.

In Prot, you have geist of it - get Defiance, Improved Sunder and Improved Taunt. I'd also recommend Improved Shield Bash, allowing you to pre-emptively silence casters and move them.
Lingon
Grunt
Grunt

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:21 am

OP asking for advice, and shits on you later.

Prot talents do not make aoe tanking easier.

It saves 5 min per instance run at best, and will add 2.5 days played to leveling.

If you want to aoe tank, go arms and get sweeping strikes. Pop it, swap to fury (should have tat mastery) bloodrage, whirlwind battle stance, thunder clap, def stance, taunt kill target and sunder revenge on others. ReRepeat 50 times per instance.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 am

And on the bad advice from rend, imp rend makes rend your best damage per rage ability when soling, and even more so if you sword and board. While you do not have excess rage in instance at low level to use, it will help with soloing until you get MS or BT. Regardless of weapon speed you will rarely use HS in low level 5 mans. Get a white hit instead for another sunder or shield block revenge.

Once a mob is close to dead, dont keep using rage on it in a 5 man, just auto attack and build your rage up for the next pull.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by MrDiap » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:53 am

Heldunder wrote:your solo leveling with this build with be so painful you will reroll to another class.

Lol. I actually use prot spec for questing. And yeah, pull mobs and cast shield block and see how they miserably trying to kill me while applying white damage. I know it is not efficient by any means, but it actually makes me happy.
MrDiap
Sergeant
Sergeant

by healzplz » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 am

ITT: Absolutely miserable tanking advice

OP should ignore most of everything posted above.

You say you like your talents so I won't trash them, but there are some problems for both leveling and tanking there. However here's some REAL advice on AoE tanking that will actually help you quite a lot more than your talents or the hideous advice the other posted:

1. Spam Battle Shout. When in doubt - Battle Shout.
2. Never change from defensive stance except for Mocking Blow. Stance dancing like suggested abouve is completely useless and counterproductive. You're threat modifier is only 0.8 in battle stance.
3. Pull with bow and then pop bloodrage, use some rotation of battle shouts/tab sunder/shieldblock+revenge, pull the next pack before your rage from the previous fight dissipates if bloodrage on cooldown.
healzplz
Tester

by Armilus » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 am

Scarnavax wrote:

Please read: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16057
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Warrior