Is 440 Cap needed?

Is 440 Cap needed?

by Airoch » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:00 am

I heard boss crit is bugged and tanks are not needing the 440 cap? Wondering if this is rumor/myth or false information. Anyone do any testing?
Airoch
Tester

Re: Is 440 Cap needed?

by St0rfan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 am

Airoch wrote:I heard boss crit is bugged and tanks are not needing the 440 cap? Wondering if this is rumor/myth or false information. Anyone do any testing?

Not, it isnt needed.

EDIT: As for testing. Most guild maintanks on the server has been doing MC and BWL for months without having issues even though not being defcapped.

Def is well worth stacking ALOT of along with stamina, but cap isnt "required".
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Heldunder » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:18 pm

St0rfan wrote:
Airoch wrote:I heard boss crit is bugged and tanks are not needing the 440 cap? Wondering if this is rumor/myth or false information. Anyone do any testing?

Not, it isnt needed.

EDIT: As for testing. Most guild maintanks on the server has been doing MC and BWL for months without having issues even though not being defcapped.

Def is well worth stacking ALOT of along with stamina, but cap isnt "required".

from experiance ive never seen a crit over 420 def. tho they have upgraded the damage on some ZG bosses.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Plask » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Not in any way needed. But advisable to avoid spikes that can kill you before healers can react.
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by zmandude24 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:34 am

I'm the MT of an upcoming guild and I have def cap being in mostly blues and 2 epics. It is not required but nice to have if it doesn't sacrifice a significant amount of other important stats in order to get it. As for being bugged, I'm not 100% sure but I have never been crit once MTing Ony in my halfass fire resist gear (like 400 def and 90 fire resist). Unless a boss is capable of taking like 75%+ of your max hp with a crit, you don't need def cap, but I might be wrong since my tanking experience comes from tbc and I just started serious raiding again here on Nost.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Plask » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:58 am

zmandude24 wrote:I'm the MT of an upcoming guild and I have def cap being in mostly blues and 2 epics. It is not required but nice to have if it doesn't sacrifice a significant amount of other important stats in order to get it. As for being bugged, I'm not 100% sure but I have never been crit once MTing Ony in my halfass fire resist gear (like 400 def and 90 fire resist). Unless a boss is capable of taking like 75%+ of your max hp with a crit, you don't need def cap, but I might be wrong since my tanking experience comes from tbc and I just started serious raiding again here on Nost.

Nah thats wrong. Also its hard to notice you get critted until you take a spike of dmg or die and have a combatlog up. Even with 430+ defense you occasionally get critted.

Try saving a combatlog from a whole raid and parse out amount of crits you take. Just because you don't notice them doesnt mean they dont happen
Sidesprang wrote:Defcap is overrated at current state of the game.
Plask
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Noonze » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:03 am

zmandude24 wrote:I'm the MT of an upcoming guild and I have def cap being in mostly blues and 2 epics. It is not required but nice to have if it doesn't sacrifice a significant amount of other important stats in order to get it. As for being bugged, I'm not 100% sure but I have never been crit once MTing Ony in my halfass fire resist gear (like 400 def and 90 fire resist). Unless a boss is capable of taking like 75%+ of your max hp with a crit, you don't need def cap, but I might be wrong since my tanking experience comes from tbc and I just started serious raiding again here on Nost.

The reason why you dont see Ony crits you is that with 400 def your chance to be critical damaged equil to 1.6%. The chance is indeed small compare to Ony's attack speed/time of fight.
Noonze
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Armilus » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Noonze wrote:

The reason why you dont see Ony crits you is that with 400 def your chance to be critical damaged equil to 1.6%. The chance is indeed small compare to Ony's attack speed/time of fight.

Also, when shield block is up you can't be crit.

If you want to watch for crits, I recommend the recap addon. It's a damage meter but it gives you a good breakdown of damage instead of just totals so you can see how many crits, miss, etc. You can also see how much of your damage is from each ability. I never use it for looking at incoming damage but I'm pretty sure it also has hit/crit/block etc.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Also Ony hits like a bitch, much like the majority of mc bosses. So you do not notice them. Though shield block helps, an aggro capped fight such as Ony, I do not have it up always as being rage starved on her, more aggro is > less damage taken in this fight.

BWL bosses like Chromag, Nef, Broodlord, and first drake you will notice a huge spike on a crit.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by zmandude24 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:47 pm

Undertanker wrote:Also Ony hits like a bitch, much like the majority of mc bosses. So you do not notice them. Though shield block helps, an aggro capped fight such as Ony, I do not have it up always as being rage starved on her, more aggro is > less damage taken in this fight.

BWL bosses like Chromag, Nef, Broodlord, and first drake you will notice a huge spike on a crit.

I don't even have any T1, just preMC BiS and she still doesn't completely ragecap me at times. And I do keep shield block up on all raid bosses (except UBRS but that isn't really a raid) because I'm not stacked in T2 like many of the MTs on this forum yet.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Warrior