YCB's Tank Threat Guide (Itemization and Explanations)

YCB's Tank Threat Guide (Itemization and Explanations)

by Ycbshadow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:09 am

Warrior Threat Guide (By Ycbshadow)

This is a Tank Threat guide that I made for the tanks in my guild. I wanted to share this publicly on the Nost Forums in order to share this information with others, and also to hear the opinions of others who will surely disagree with some of what I say.

When to use Threat Gear

Threat gear should be used in any situation where you do not otherwise need to wear Resistance Gear or Defense Cap Gear.

Threat Gear generally should NOT*** be used on the following bosses: Baron Geddon / Ragnaros / Firemaw / Broodlord* / Chromagus / Nefarian / Vaelstrasz***

***Threat is useful on these bosses, but they normally require some amount of Fire Resistance or High Defense. If you are able to survive these bosses with threat gear or some combination of threat and defensive gear, then its good.

Threat gear should also NOT be used if you are tanking an Add that will not be DPS’d for a substantial period of time (ie: The add that we are killing last in a large pull or the final Majordomo Mob)

Stat Priority

1st) Hit Chance - Your first goal is to reach the Hit Cap (~8.6%), thus 9% will be perfect, but 8% will be enough. Usually, you will settle for 8% hit. Don’t go above 9%.

2nd) Agility - 20 Agility will give you 1% Crit and 1% Dodge. This will also give you armor. 20 Agility is favored over 1% raw Crit because you get both the Crit and Dodge. You want to stack as much Crit as you can if you are running an Impale Build.

3rd) Raw Crit - If you are running an Impale Build, you will want to stack as much +Crit as possible.

4th) Stamina - Stamina gives you health. This is threat gear, and thus the purpose is to get the boss to attack you. You will need enough Stamina to survive once you have gained threat.

5th ) Defense - In order to use Threat Gear, you will typically be making some sort of trade off for defensive stats. Defense will help keep you alive on bosses with particularly high physical burst damage.

6th) Strength - Strength will add to your overall damage and thus increase your threat.

Talent Trees for Maximum Threat

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZEizox0zVo

In this build, we do Not have Improved Shield Wall / Improved Sunder / Improved Taunt.
I use this build for Maintanking – An Offtank may want to change this build.

Re: Imp Sunder – As maintank, I am pretty much always rage capped anyway
Re: Imp Shieldwall – Very useful for progression, but if you are able to survive without it, then its not necessary.
Re: Imp Taunt – This becomes much less valuable in BWL and beyond (as more bosses are taunt immune). This should not be necessary if the DPS stays below you on KTM.

Consumables for Maximum Threat

In addition to your defensive consumables, the following should be taken to increase your overall threat.

Elixir of the Mongoose
Juju Power or Elixir of Giants (Slight difference)
Juju Might
Gift of Arthas (The Proc gives threat)
Mighty Rage Potion
Scroll of Agility
Free Action Potion* (If the mob Frequently Stuns – this will allow you to immune the stuns and continue building threat)

World Buffs

The following World Buffs are a large raid boost for everyone, but they are Particularly Huge for Tank Threat (Try not to Die)

Onyxia Head Buff (5% Crit and 140 Attack Power)
Hakkar Heart Buff (15% All Stats
Songflower Serenade (5% Crit and 15 All Stats)
Diremaul Buffs (Health and Attack Power)
Darmoon Faire Buff (10% Damage)

Ability Rotation

When Tanking, the ability rotation is more of a priority system:

First, make sure you always have Battleshout up

If you currently have Aggro and you are raged capped

You should be constantly non-stop spamming Heroic Strike and Shield Block (These are not on the global Cooldown)
Then – Use Shield Slam (On Cooldown) >>> Revenge (On Cooldown) >>> Sunder Armor

Note: If the mob does not hit very hard and you are NOT Rage Capped, you can stop using Shield Block and use that rage for more threat abilities.

If you are Not Raged Capped or Do not have Aggro

Use Shield Slam >>> Revenge >>> Sunder Armor >>> Heroic Strike
Use Bloodrage to give you more Rage to work with

Weapon Choice

If you currently have aggro, and you are rage capped, use a fast weapon (1.3 Speed). This will allow you to spam heroic strike.

If you do not currently have aggro but you are trying to build threat, or you have aggro but the mob does not give you enough rage to allow for heroic strike spam, use a slow hard hitting weapon. This will give you more rage to work with.

Itemization

Note: I have included what I consider the Best in Slot Threat Items in each slot, you will normally want to have some balance of Threat and Defensive Stats (Don’t go Full Threat or you will probably die)

Helm: Helm of Endless Rage (Vael) >>> Helm of Wrath (Onyxia)

Neck: Master Dragonslayers Medallion (Nef Head) >>> Eshkandar’s Collar (Onyxia)

Shoulders: Rank 13 Shoulders (PVP) >>> Draketalon Pauldrons (Three Drakes) >> > Pauldrons of Wrath (Chromaggus)

Cloak: Zulian Tigerhide Cloak (Snake Boss ZG) >>> Cloak of Draconic Might (BWL Trash)

Chest: Savage Gladiator Chain (BRD Arena Event) >>> Breastplate of Wrath (Nefarian)

Bracers: Wristguards of True Flight (Domo Chest) >>> Battleborn Armbraces (Rend UBRS) >>> Bracers of Wrath (Razorgore)

Gloves: Gauntlets of Might (Lucifron) >>> Gloves of Wrath (Three Drakes)

Waist: Onslaught Girdle (Ragnaros) >>> Unmelting Ice Girdle (Azuregos) >>> Belt of Preserved Heads (ZG Quest Leather Belt Reward) >>> Belt of Wrath (Vael)

Pants: Rank 12 Pants (PVP) >>> Legplates of Wrath (Ragnaros)

Boots: Rank 12 Boots (PVP) >>> Chromatic Boots (Chromaggus) >>> Sabatons of Wrath (Broodlord)

Rings: Don Julio’s Band (AV Exalted) >>> Band of Accuria (Ragnaros) >>> Archimitros Ring of Reckoning (Nefarian) >>> Band of Jin (ZG Spider Boss) >>>Tarnished Elven Ring (DM Tribute Chest)

Trinkets: Drakefang Talisman (Ebonroc) >>> Hand of Justice (Emperor in BRD) >>> Blackhands Breath (Onyxia Attunement Quest) >>> Darkmoon Card: Maelstorm (DMF) >>> Rune of the Guard Captain (Hinterlands Quest) >>> Styleens Impeding Scarab (Flamegor)

Weapon (If you DO have Aggro): Thunderfury >>> Alcors Sunrazor (BOE World Drop) >>> Fang of Venoxis (Snake Boss ZG) >>> Finkle’s Skinner (The Beast in UBRS)

Weapon (If you DON’T have Aggro): Crul’Shorukh (Nefarian) >>> Dooms Edge (BWL Trash)

Shield: Elementium Reinforced Bulwark (Chromaggus)

Ranged: Satyr’s Bow (Satyr Boss in DM East)
Last edited by Ycbshadow on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ycbshadow
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: YCB's Tank Threat Guide (Itemization and Explanations)

by Undertanker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:51 am

See DMC: Mael as a trinket as well. We had a recent discussion of how DMC:M and BHB > HoJ.

Nice overall post.

Though Vael I would say TPS is great, as I start as MT and before first swap of tanks, boss is down to 6, 7 percent easy.

This can get pushed more once I receive DFT or Accura.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ycbshadow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:57 am

I was not aware of DMC: Mael being good for threat

Can you tell me more about the discussion you had about the item?

I'll add it to the post
Ycbshadow
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Whiskra » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 am

Shouldn't Thunderfury be the best weapon if you DON'T have aggro as well?
Whiskra
Grunt
Grunt

by Nexthalo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am

Great post. Real struggle is convincing melee dps to let you roll on DFT and Accuria. What about Lionheart Helm?
Haalo
Guild Leader of <S I X>
Nexthalo
Sergeant
Sergeant

by St0rfan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:20 am

Nexthalo wrote:Great post. Real struggle is convincing melee dps to let you roll on DFT and Accuria. What about Lionheart Helm?

Lionheart helm have 0 stamina. T2 have 40 stamina. Lioheart helm would be terrible. Band of accuria is sweet though, If all the rogues got it, take it.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Aslan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:36 am

Nice post, really like it. Did you do a calculation about what crit you need for the impale build to be stronger than the normal one? Trade 2%crit for 20%crit dmg on yellows only.

Recently had the discussion about Accuria in our guild. It surely is a viable tank ring once you reached a certain point, even usable in a def-capped setup, however I wouldnt recommend taking that over your trusted rogues since they have a much larger range of scenarion to make use of it, also keeping it for such a long time.
DFT... No need for discussion there unless your guild is GMstate and invites DFTseeker :).
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Nexthalo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 am

St0rfan wrote:
Nexthalo wrote:Great post. Real struggle is convincing melee dps to let you roll on DFT and Accuria. What about Lionheart Helm?

Lionheart helm have 0 stamina. T2 have 40 stamina. Lioheart helm would be terrible. Band of accuria is sweet though, If all the rogues got it, take it.

Its trading 40 stam for 2% crit and 2% hit. A few examples here lose more stam to gain threat stats.
Haalo
Guild Leader of <S I X>
Nexthalo
Sergeant
Sergeant

by snawfu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:12 pm

gz on r12 pants
patato
snawfu
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Warrior