Main Tank Threat Spec

Main Tank Threat Spec

by Problazer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZEizox0zVo

Thoughts?

I basically chose to skip improved taunt and shield wall in order to max Anticipation. My logic is that I value being def cap for Brood and Nef more than having a longer shield wall for Vael or quicker taunts for trash in MC.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Main Tank Threat Spec

by Undertanker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 pm

This is what I use. MC trash, only the dogs are a pain for threat cause they do no damage when you are geared. Solution, two tanks taunt off each other if needed. Never spec something cause of old content trash mobs.

Imp shield wall is a nice for progression fights. But if things are on farm, your dps are getting BiS gear, 4% more damage all the time is much better.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Viowar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 am

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LVhL0hbZcZeizoxMzVo

Personally,I main tank with this spec just fine, with this new update to some + def items, this is what I'd suggest, taunt fights in bwl are a lot better with the extra time cut from taunts CD. Imp SW again is good but if bosses are pretty easy, ditching those for more def is good. It all depends on your current gear setup. I'm only referring to bosses in which you're rage capped.
Viowar
Tester

by Grave » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Same thing, except I use Taunt + Imp Shield Wall over 5/5 Anticipation. Once you've collected BiS gear, you can mix and match to maintain high def easily, along with Defense kits.

Imp. Shield Wall is always useful on Nef/Chrom, not always required but always effective. Imp. Taunt is essential when you have try hard DPS going ham, especially when tanking more than one add or trash mob.

Spec for the curious.

@Viowar: Don't need 4/5 TM imo. 2/3 Imp. HS isn't that useful either, but it still does have an impact. Even on bosses, you can quite often spam your way out of rage if you avoid an attack or two. (And it has happened often to me using a 1.9 weapon)
Grave
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Heldunder » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:59 pm

honestly if youre rage capped the "rage reducing" talents dont help. tm > imp HS imo
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Problazer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Yea I'm leaning towards taking improved taunt.

The only reason I have 2 points in Heroic Strike is to give me 10 so I can get to Deep wounds. I'm thinking about placing those 2 points into Tactical Mastery instead.

If I put 2 points into improved taunt they would likely come out of Cruelty.

Thoughts?
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Memegank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:32 pm

I like to look at is this way:
Talents:
2 points in Cruelty = 2% crit
2 points in Anticipation = 4 defense

Now let's look at trinket slots:
Blackhand's Breadth = 2% crit
Force of Will = 7 defense
Onyxia Blood Talisman = 8 defense
Styleen's Impeding Scarab = 13 defense

To me this places a much higher value on points spent in Cruelty over Anticipation, now that ZG enchants are in the game, it is very easy to reach defense cap with zero points in Anticipation.
Memegank
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Problazer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Memegank wrote:I like to look at is this way:
Talents:
2 points in Cruelty = 2% crit
2 points in Anticipation = 4 defense

Now let's look at trinket slots:
Blackhand's Breadth = 2% crit
Force of Will = 7 defense
Onyxia Blood Talisman = 8 defense
Styleen's Impeding Scarab = 13 defense

To me this places a much higher value on points spent in Cruelty over Anticipation, now that ZG enchants are in the game, it is very easy to reach defense cap with zero points in Anticipation.

I care about being def cap with Ony cloak on though.

I have full T2 with 3 armor kits. Using alcors and don't have styleen's. With ony cloak and Dark Iron Ring/Overlord's I am at 435 Defense. Once I replace Force of Will with Styleen's Ill be at 441 assuming im 5/5 in Anticipation.

Right now I plan on swaping to a Ardent Custodian for warrior class calls on Nef so I can be def cap when it matters.

I don't see myself dropping any points in Anticipation any time soon.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Memegank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Was under the impression we were assuming BiS gear, but once you get Styleen's you can essentially do what you are doing now with Ardent Custodian / Spineshatter and have 2/3 points to play with elsewhere.
Memegank
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Undertanker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:02 pm

On Nef, alcorz is only needed for the first moments of the fight.

Then swap to Defender if you are close to def cap, swap to quel if you are way off from cap.

Class calls and dps having to finish off adds before boss will keep dps from pulling.

Only if you get a sting of pally + warrior calls would threat be an issue. Swap back to alcorz for a moment, then right back to a mitigation weapon.

As MT I dont have imp taunt, and only miss it at times in ZG.

Imp SW I can live with out as I use LGG on enrage on Chromag, and it is usually down before it wares off. This gives me last stand for a warrior call on nef, and I use shield wall for 20% reconstruct push right when they reach the raid so healers can keep dps up.

While at the moment you can take 2 out of anticipation, AQ40 set has lower def and syam for more dodge/crit/hit. So 5/5 anticipation will be needed again if you wanna run with Accura or Don.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Warrior