Main Tank Threat Spec

Re: Main Tank Threat Spec

by Problazer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:01 pm

So I just changed to the impale spec and went with the cookie cutter build here:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZtizoxMdVo

I can reach def cap with the ZG ring for brood, but this spec will put me at like 433 defense for Nefarian. Ill be running BWL on Tuesday to get a feel for it but it still doesn't sit well with me that I wont be def cap with ony cloak on.

I am already considering the following build:
[quote="Problazer"]http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZEizox0zVo

Thoughts? I feel like the first spec will be stronger for AQ but I have no experience in AQ40. The raid I am with now has only killed Nef twice but our healers are well geared and experienced, so i'm hopeful they wont miss me being Def cap on Nefarian.

Basically assuming I am going impale build.

5 extra seconds of shield wall and -2 seconds on taunt cooldown
vs.
Def cap with Ony cloak on
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Adii » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Personally, I only feel like the lack of defense cap on Nefarian only becomes of a threat during the warrior call. In that case, you can switch to Spineshatter / Bloodlord's during the warrior call and then back to Thunderfury afterwards.

How about a build that is a compromise between the two? 3/5 Anticipation, 0/2 Improved Taunt, 2/2 Improved Shield Wall. I've been playing a few weeks without improved taunt and the only place I really notice it is on Ebonroc. Battleguard Sartura might be a little more annoying without it, can't think off the top of my head if it helps anywhere else.
Adii
Tester

by Problazer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Adii wrote:Personally, I only feel like the lack of defense cap on Nefarian only becomes of a threat during the warrior call. In that case, you can switch to Spineshatter / Bloodlord's during the warrior call and then back to Thunderfury afterwards.

How about a build that is a compromise between the two? 3/5 Anticipation, 0/2 Improved Taunt, 2/2 Improved Shield Wall. I've been playing a few weeks without improved taunt and the only place I really notice it is on Ebonroc. Battleguard Sartura might be a little more annoying without it, can't think off the top of my head if it helps anywhere else.

I thought about the compromise but 3/5 anticipation still wouldn't put me at def cap for Nef, so I feel like if i'm going to forgo def cap i would rather have improved taunt over 4 points of defense.

I agree with the warrior class call being the reason for all of this. Since nef doesnt have an extra attack or frenzy I can avoid all crits/crushing with shield block spam. Im just worried about a warrior class call syncing up with a shadow flame/fear/curse and me being crit while shit is hitting the fan.

I was speaking to another MT and he brought up the point that in a warrior class call all healers should be focused on you so even with a crit mixed in with a curse/shadow flame good healers should be able to keep you up.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by St0rfan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Problazer wrote:
Adii wrote:Personally, I only feel like the lack of defense cap on Nefarian only becomes of a threat during the warrior call. In that case, you can switch to Spineshatter / Bloodlord's during the warrior call and then back to Thunderfury afterwards.

I thought about the compromise but 3/5 anticipation still wouldn't put me at def cap for Nef, so I feel like if i'm going to forgo def cap i would rather have improved taunt over 4 points of defense.

I agree with the warrior class call being the reason for all of this. Since nef doesnt have an extra attack or frenzy I can avoid all crits/crushing with shield block spam. Im just worried about a warrior class call syncing up with a shadow flame/fear/curse and me being crit while shit is hitting the fan.

I was speaking to another MT and he brought up the point that in a warrior class call all healers should be focused on you so even with a crit mixed in with a curse/shadow flame good healers should be able to keep you up.

Put 3def armorkit on your bracers aswell.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Problazer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 pm

St0rfan wrote:
Problazer wrote:

Put 3def armorkit on your bracers aswell.

Wow, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this.

So now the discussion becomes should i do improved taunt or shield wall?

Im leaning towards taunt for Ebonroc and zg/mc trash. Only time I lean on shield wall is for Vael and our dps is getting close to making that a 1 tank fight.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by St0rfan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Problazer wrote:
Wow, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this.

So now the discussion becomes should i do improved taunt or shield wall?

Im leaning towards taunt for Ebonroc and zg/mc trash. Only time I lean on shield wall is for Vael and our dps is getting close to making that a 1 tank fight.

I'm maintanking in this spec currently:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#Lihb0hbZcZEizox0zVo

I'm at 438 def in my normal gear and 440 for defcap gear for Broodlord/chrom/nef. Once I get t2 gloves I'll cap def in my normal gear and I love being able to use Lifegiving gem.

I have noticed that imp taunt really wont help you much as an MT. As already been pointed out, it can help a small bit on the Drakes in BWL. Imp shieldwall also isnt really needed when you are farming content, even though it is nice to have a good oh-shit button.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Softarunt » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Having imp taunt is gonna be nice in aq40, and then in naxx I liked having imp SW aswell. But thats mostly for feenix buffed 4hm, sapph and kt
Softarunt
Sergeant
Sergeant

by vido » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:32 pm

+8 def doesn't sound hugely important, why not go 1/5 anticipation and imp taunt and imp wall. If you get a nef warr call and shield wall, those 5 extra seconds are going to be far more important than a 0.32% crit chance against you. To put in perspective, given a 25s class call and 2.5s boss swing timer that leaves roughly a 3% chance to get crit during the entire class call duration. That crit won't necessarily cause a wipe either, it could land into a defensive example, or there is a chance that you chain a couple parries/dodges. The point is that there are some talents you can live without.

In early vanilla there's no way def cap was common knowledge so you can assume that blizzard tuned early content without def cap in mind. Nostalrius might not be scripted perfectly, but nonetheless people seem to be a bit paranoid about being under 440 def.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Softarunt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:06 am

Getting crit during warrior call or on chromaggus will likely bring trouble, in current content id agree with maxing anticipation if it allows you to def cap
Softarunt
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Undertanker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:38 am

vido wrote:+8 def doesn't sound hugely important, why not go 1/5 anticipation and imp taunt and imp wall. If you get a nef warr call and shield wall, those 5 extra seconds are going to be far more important than a 0.32% crit chance against you. To put in perspective, given a 25s class call and 2.5s boss swing timer that leaves roughly a 3% chance to get crit during the entire class call duration. That crit won't necessarily cause a wipe either, it could land into a defensive example, or there is a chance that you chain a couple parries/dodges. The point is that there are some talents you can live without.

In early vanilla there's no way def cap was common knowledge so you can assume that blizzard tuned early content without def cap in mind. Nostalrius might not be scripted perfectly, but nonetheless people seem to be a bit paranoid about being under 440 def.

You can't shield wall a Nef call. Stance Locked. Try again. If you are going to do the match for the crit reduction, add in the 1% avoidance it gives you as well.

Assuming Blizz tuned content for available gear accurately? C'Thun pre-nerf was statistically impossible to kill. And this was when devs got better at class itemization.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Warrior