New to tanking, please help!

New to tanking, please help!

by dtrain1269 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 pm

I never played vanilla when it was released, joined during BC and quit during WOTLK. During that time I also never ventured from dps but I want to try something fresh. My main question is regarding what skills to use and in what order to be able to hold aggro effectively. I've been getting by in low level instances but just barely. My other question is about "LOS". One of my parties kept spamming that aggressively but no one could be bothered to explain what it meant when I asked. I know I'm a noob among seasoned veterans but I was told this was a very helpful and friendly community as well.
dtrain1269
Tester

Re: New to tanking, please help!

by St0rfan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:52 pm

LOS is short for Line-Of-Sight. They could be refering to one of these situations:

1. You need to pull mobs out of LOS in order to get caster/ranged mobs to reach you. You do this by pulling mobs with range wepaon, then move around a corner or behind an object in order to break line of sight of the mob and force it to come to you.

Or

2. You are moving LOS from the healer so that they cant heal you.

These are the two possible explanations that come to mind.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by zmandude24 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:01 pm

For like 2 to 4 elite mobs this is what you generally do at lower levels:
  1. Mark a skull if you have lead. If you don't have lead, then ask for it to mark if someone isn't already doing it for you.
  2. Use a ranged weapon to pull the one in the corner (not the middle).
  3. Use bloodrage after you have pulled (if it's up) and use demo shout.
  4. Now give an autoattack to every target once and also put a revenge or sunder on your main target.
  5. Repeat step 4 while using sunder and revenge based on the rage you have.
  6. Pull the next one (assuming your healer is ready).

As for single target, just use sunder and revenge. If there is 1 or 2 elites and a few nonelites, prioritize the elites since the dps can probably handle the nonelites anyways (esp a frost mage). Also it's worth noting that it's more rage efficient to use shield block to proc revenge than to just use sunder, but I personally find it better to use sunder at the beginning due to it taking a bit for shield block to proc revenge (and you know that can be a risk with the triggerhappy dps you find in pugs).
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 pm

These are great starter tips. Search the warrior thread for any other questions you have. May have to go to page two or three of this thread for some titled "tank rotation, tanking many mobs, tanking low level instance.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Warrior