Impale Tanking Spec

Impale Tanking Spec

by zmandude24 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 pm

I did the math and found that impale does not increase your tps by a significant amount. In fact, you will only come out even from choosing that over the 2 points in cruelty if you have 7% crit before cruelty and even then only if you are rage capped. Just for a 1% tps increase with impale you will need 19.5% crit which is unfeasable for tanking.

CritThreat%bonus = 0.4 * (BaseCrit + PointsinCruelty) * (0.1PointsinImpale + 1)

Let I(C) be a function that represents the bonus threat percentage from impale spec dependant on your crit before cruelty, or C. Let S(C) be a function that represents the bonus threat percentage from the standard 5/5 cruelty spec.

I(C) = 0.4 * (C + 3) * 1.2 = 0.48C + 1.44
S(C) = 0.4 * (C + 5) = 0.4C + 2

I(C0%) = S(C0%)
0.48C0% + 1.44 = 0.4C0% + 2
0.08C0% = 0.56
C0% = 7

I(C1%) = S(C1%) + 1
0.48C1% + 1.44 = 0.4C1% + 3
0.08C1% = 1.56
C1% = 19.5

Is there something I'm missing here about impale because it seems like every MT of an 8/8 BwL guild has it?
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Impale Tanking Spec

by Undertanker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 pm

While I am at work I don't have the resources at hand nor the 2 hours time investment to break down situation by situation of which and when and why's of each spec, I'll comment on your out of reach threshold:

"19.5% crit which is unfeasable for tanking."

World buffs / mongoos / elemental sharpening stones / agility items / AV - Don Julio's Band / Band of Accuria (use +def boots and chest to run both rings for your non Nef set)

As we continue to move forward take a look as well at the AQ40 gear, much agility on here as well for even more crit which will scale well with the Impale build.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by vido » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Tanks in current content can reach 40% crit in the appropriate gear with world buffs + sharpening stone/mongoose/grace of air etc.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:41 am

vido wrote:Tanks in current content can reach 40% crit in the appropriate gear with world buffs + sharpening stone/mongoose/grace of air etc.

Before somebody confused ask, this is implying you are using select items that have +crit on them for TPS vs the prototypical 8/8 T2.

And before another dumb question comes up, no you don't do this in AQ/Naxx. This is for pure TPS situations such as Onxyia, MC bosses / trash, Val in BWL.

While that much crit isn't required, it is possible, as I myself try to limit the def loss and take +hit / agil / crit where i can staying in the +130s for def.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by vido » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:13 am

Yeah, It's not a realistic number in most situations but the point is that practically any tank can gather enough crit to make impale better than 2 points in cruelty.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Grave » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:00 pm

In the current patch, you can have a gear set with 425 defense with 17.6% crit and 8% hit unbuffed.
Grave
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by St0rfan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Grave wrote:In the current patch, you can have a gear set with 425 defense with 17.6% crit and 8% hit unbuffed.

How many points do you have in anticipation then?
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by vido » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Anticipation seems like a very weak talent if you're going to spend 17 points on impale. It's makes more sense to focus on imp taunt/imp shield wall rather than 1-2% avoidance.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by St0rfan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:52 pm

vido wrote:Anticipation seems like a very weak talent if you're going to spend 17 points on impale. It's makes more sense to focus on imp taunt/imp shield wall rather than 1-2% avoidance.

Yeah I agree. Except when tanking Broodlord and Nef. I have tanked both without defcap. It aint pretty (although doable).
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Undertanker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Not sure what getting impale has to do with anticipation.

avoidance is great, so it not getting crit.

This is a MAIN TANK - TPS build. Why do I need imp taunt? Taunting is typically an off tank thing to do when redirecting a wing buffet or swapping for debuffs. If it resist, you have mocking blow which will hold the mob on you until taunt is back up. If that misses, you have challenging shout. Imp taunt usefulness is SOOOO rare for a tank outside of 5 mans, that is does not compete with anticipation that is being used every moment you are engaged with ANY mob.

You have more flexibilty with gear using anticipation. I can swap gear that has def for hit/crit and still have same def as somebody who didn't take anticipation, yet swap back to def gear and be def capped which the other thank can't. Anticipations points of benefit are amplified greatly when using your FR and NR gear as these types of gear sets do not come close to def cap.

Imp shield-wall is nice, if you want for progression, cool. Once stuff is on farm, swap back. AQ gear has much less def compared to BWL gear, if you plan on wearing the T2.5 gear for additional agility, you'll still want to have 5/5 anticipation to make up for these losses.

Forgoing anticipation really is a T3 geared tanks luxury if you are not wanting to sacrifice def cap. At that point of my character (being able to take points out of anticipation) I'd get imp revenge over taunt still for solo/5man/20man/pvp. -remember revenge more than doubles in damage done with T3 gear, and with impale crits for a good amount considering the rage cost and with the added chance to stun, look out.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Warrior