'ey Prot Wars, does this happen to you?

'ey Prot Wars, does this happen to you?

by TheFishyOne » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 pm

I am a Tankadin trying to break into the pug raid scene while the rest of my guild dings 60 and works on preraid gear. I've been to MC and ZG as a Tank several times now, but sometimes on big giant pulls, you know, the ones many of you will defer to that hpally with a semiprot spec and tank gear, I go squish like a clothie.

The only innate survival advantage you have over us that is not skill department is Def Stance, which is simply a 10% increase in EH, but many still blame me for not being a War.

Here is my RealmPlayers link: http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer ... er=Geofram

Not the best, I know, but I am not crit capped. Mind you, I have MT'd Hakkar on tanked the raptor on Bloodlord, so I can handle bosses, but stuff like trash pulls before Spider Boss wipe me out. As professional meatshields, do you find yourselves popping cds to survive that kind of aggro, am I not geared enough, or is Def Stance really that big of a deal? I came here with this question as Raidtankadins are far and few between, and my instructor lives on the far side of the world.

Thank you in advance for any help!
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: 'ey Prot Wars, does this happen to you?

by zmandude24 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Are you only tanking the little spiders on those trash packs and letting the warrior tanks get the big ones? If you are, then I would let frost mages get aggro on a few of the little ones since they can kite them. When prot warriors tank the little ones on the horde, they spam demo shout (and tab cleave to rage dump) and that doesn't get them all, which makes them take less damage.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Armilus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Make sure the elites are CC'd or single tanked.

You should have no problem tanking all the little spiders. I wouldn't attempt to tank every mob in those packs before spider boss unless you are a warrior with full BWL gear (only reason I specify warrior is because paladin's can't wear wrath).

To elaborate on what zmandude said, warriors rarely run into the problem where they have threat on TOO MANY mobs and can't handle the damage. Paladins on the other hand have no problem keeping threat on a shit ton of mobs. Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

Oh and make sure you don't turn your back. You can't parry, block or dodge when attacked from behind. If you do need to back up, back peddle. If you need to back up faster, turn and strafe.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:39 pm

You shouldnt be tanking these packs for long. Mind control the caster and let him aoe everything, and have peolle keep it alive.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Monga » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:41 pm

What the rest said, just get initial aggro, then start running around in a circle (preferably on a hunter trap). drop some threat shit and run around.
Monga
Grunt
Grunt

by TheFishyOne » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:12 am

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Yes, I will often run in and drop Consc, and since I tank with a spelldmg weapon with Briliant Wizard Oil on it, I get rock solid aggro on everything, and gert Blatted. Most recently, I tried giving the War tank a few seconds to establish aggro on at least 2 of the big spiders before going in, and it seems to work. Nearly every Prot War I've done ZG with has a minimum of 3pc t2 and ~7k health when fully buffed, so he can take all that for 2-3 seconds before I peel the small stuff and (usually) one big dude off him.

That said, I'll have to try the kiting strat with my own guild once we start raiding. Thanks again!
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Problazer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Undertanker wrote:You shouldnt be tanking these packs for long. Mind control the caster and let him aoe everything, and have peolle keep it alive.

This...

Main tank pulls everything, priest mind controls the caster and then uses its abilites to gain agro. Heals keep the mind controled mob up until all spiders are dead. repeat.

I have nearly died in full T2 after pulling those packs solo. Healers have to be ready for it, its a lot of damage on one person.
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by JeeTee » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:34 am

use armor potions
get better healers
JeeTee
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by slipryy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 pm

not pulling 2 packs at once with warrior tank and aoeing them down?

paladins are shit tanks stop playing them
slipryy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Theloras » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:07 pm

slipryy wrote:not pulling 2 packs at once with warrior tank and aoeing them down?

paladins are shit tanks stop playing them

weren't you banned?
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Next

Return to Warrior