Crit Cap and Stat Trading

Crit Cap and Stat Trading

by Problazer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

I know the equation to determine your crit cap is

White crit cap:
100% - 27% miss - 8% dodge - 40% glance + your hit%

Yellow crit cap:
100% - 8% miss - 8% dodge + your hit%

My question is how much do you fury's worry about being under the white crit cap? I want to be able to advise my fury warriors on gear balancing but I have never played a dps roll before.

What order of operations do you guys use to find your best gear/consumable ratio?

I assume you would stack world buffs and consumables first then simply adjust gear to have as much AP as possible while still being crit cap?

If you are trying to conserve gold on farmed content would it make sense to stack world buffs then adjust gear to be at crit cap? This would allow you to forgo some potions like mongoose assuming you don't have more AP gear to swap in.

When if ever does it make since to go over the white crit cap at the expense of AP? I realize this is a waste of crit on white hits but Yellow ones still make up a large ammount of your dps assuming you have the rage to maintain it.

Do fights like Vael change how you gear since you can assume you will have mostly yellow hits?
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Crit Cap and Stat Trading

by vido » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Those are wrong values, I guess you got those from some old post.
This is what I'd use to find your crit cap, these formulas assume you're attacking a target from behind:

Special crit cap: 100% - MAX(0, (5% + 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04)

White crit cap: 100% - MAX(0, (5% + 19% + 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04) - 5*(2^(EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)-1)

I'm not sure if level differences are taken into account in the white hit formula on top of the base 24% miss, seems more reasonable that it is however, so I guess that's what the nost devs went with regardless.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Problazer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 pm

vido wrote:Those are wrong values, I guess you got those from some old post.
This is what I'd use to find your crit cap, these formulas assume you're attacking a target from behind:

Special crit cap: 100% - MAX(0, (5% + 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04)

White crit cap: 100% - MAX(0, (5% + 19% + 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04) - 5*(2^(EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)-1)

I'm not sure if level differences are taken into account in the white hit formula on top of the base 24% miss, seems more reasonable that it is however, so I guess that's what the nost devs went with regardless.

Damn, I guess it was foolish to think the equation was as simple as what I linked.

So i cheated and broke out wolfram alpha. Assuming the following values, is the equation and result below accurate?

305 weapon skill
9% hit
Boss lvl of 63
Boss defense of 315

White cap:
100 - MAX(0, (5 + 19 + 1*MAX(0, (63-60)) + (315-305)*0.04 - 9)) - (5% + (315-305)*0.04) - 5*(2^(63-60)-1)

White crit cap = 41.4
Problazer
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Sol » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:20 am

I don't understand why you complicate things so much. Crit cap only matters against lv 63 enemies, that's why you calculate it vs. lv 63 only. No need to input such inconvenient operations.
Sol
Tester

by vido » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 am

I misstook 5*(2^(EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)-1) for the glancing blow chance rather than the damage reduction.
I'm not sure about this, but apparently the glancing blow chance according to Athan would be (EnemyLevel - PlayerLevel + 1) * 10.

Also after looking up some old posts, 24% base dual wield miss rate seems to apply to this server rather than 27%.

With some adjustments:

100% - MAX(0, (5% + IF(Dual-Wield, 19%, else 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel)) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04) - (EnemyLevel - PlayerLevel + 1) * 10
Last edited by vido on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by sownu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:52 am

The result from:

100% - 27% miss - 8% dodge - 40% glance + your hit%

should be same as from

100% - MAX(0, (5% + IF(Dual-Wield, 19%, 0%) + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04 - bonus hit chance)) - (5% + (EnemyDefense-Weaponskill)*0.04) - (EnemyLevel - PlayerLevel + 1) * 10

then?
sownu
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by vido » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:57 am

Well if you're dual-wielding and have 300 weapon skill your miss chance would be 24.6% rather than 27% and your chance to get dodged would be 5.6% rather than 8%.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Sol » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 pm

If you are a competitive fury warrior, you're either orc or human, ergo 305 weapon skill. If you are not, this thread isn't for you since you decided at the moment you created your character and entered world that you'd never be able to compete in the first place.

Can we clean up any misconceptions about the formulae? So far everyone is posting different numbers and I'm unsure whom I can trust.
Sol
Tester

by vido » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

for the record, 24% base miss against a raid boss was blizzlike, not 27%. 5% base dodge was used throughout vanilla and every xpac until wod. Weapon skills worked differently before they changed them in TBC where weapon skill became interchangeable with your level since it was removed as a stat from the game save for a couple of rare debuffs/buffs. So rather than 1 additional enemylevel giving 1% extra miss chance, the formulas were simplified across the board as seen on wowwiki and 5 weapon skill was the corresponding amount.

In vanilla your level and weapon skill are two different concepts and this disparity also means you have to account for an additional 0.04% everywhere on your attack table for every point of difference between player weapon skill and enemy defense, hence the convulated formulas.

The last formula I gave should be correct for every situation apart from mobs 4 levels or higher than you in which case 1%*MAX(0, (EnemyLevel-PlayerLevel) would cap out at 3% or so I guess.

vanilla wowwiki is a complete abomination btw, the articles have 0 citations or sources, basically someone half-assedly compiled this random stuff it into a "wiki" for the sole purpose of generating ad revenue.
vido
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dinga » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Im new to vanilla raiding, And im trying to educate myself on what's right as far as the Table is concerned.

So no BS what's the effect of 310 Wep skill VS lv 63.

as well as no BS what's the Correct formula. I used the 27,8,40 as well
Dinga
Tester

Next

Return to Warrior