Easy or hard for a tank to get into a pve guild?

Easy or hard for a tank to get into a pve guild?

by Skunkape » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:10 am

Allready thinking about what to roll on the fresh pvp server. On retail vanilla and Nostalrius I used to play hunter and really love that class in vanilla. However I want to main something new this time around and leaning on prot warrior on lvl 60.

Well, I know its easy to get in dungeon groups while lvling and get into 5/10-man groups as tank. But is the tank roll in pve guilds filling up easily and fast in most cases? Im not that into going fury, pvp or being stuck doing 5/10-man because I can't find any guild that would take me in as a tank.

btw, just interested in OT.
Skunkape
Tester

Re: Easy or hard for a tank to get into a pve guild?

by Pottu » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Usually a raiding guild will focus on getting 3-4 reliable tanks first, then building the rest of the raid around them. If you get in early enough, you'll get a guaranteed raid spot. But once those are gone, it will be very difficult. However, there are plenty of guilds and turnover is notoriously high in vanilla WoW, so spots do open up.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by Drain » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:39 am

Getting dungeon groups as a tank is the easiest thing ever. Raid guilds are not, as they fill up their tank slots then spend the rest of their career looking for healers, which they need far more of. But there will never be a shortage of guilds needing tanks too. It just means you'll probably get into a newer guild, rather than one already farming everything. Healers however can get slotted into a guild already farming T1 just because they still need more healers.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Spottedcow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10 am

What everyone else said. Tank spots are notoriously tough to find, although they do occasionally pop up; usually OT spots where someone is impatient with the gear they're getting or wants more control (tanks, by the nature of the role, tend to be prima donnas). If a decent guild's MT quits/retires/moves, usually the first OT will just assume the MT role. Your best bet for tanking roles, especially if you're not pre-BiS (with all the gold pissed down the sink that that entails for overpriced BoEs), is to find a guild that's not raiding yet but still building their roster. The problem with that is that it means spending months waiting to see if the GM can pull enough people to actually make raiding happen. A lot of guilds with designs on raiding end up being leveling guilds, as they can't get 60's to stick around long enough to get a raid group together. It's far easier to get into raid groups as DPS or heals, as you need more of those than you do for tanking (prior to Naxx, anyway)

I got lucky; I was pulled into a guild in my early 50's that was setting up a second raid group, so they already had the population to retain people and I didn't have to seek out a tank spot, it was dropped into my lap by the GM, who took a liking to me. The down side is that I'm tanking for an NA guild and I work (in the US) at a strip club, so I can only make half of the raid nights consistently; that's left me as the OT2 because it's a waste of gear to throw tanking gear at someone that's not there for every raid. Means my chances of ever getting my hands on a Thunderfury are slim to none (a man can hope, though!).
Spottedcow
Grunt
Grunt

by zmandude24 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Getting an OT spot isn't too bad as long as you join guilds that are in the process of BiS gearing and make sure that you are active and tank for others. The only time you will have a hard time is if you want to tank for an established guild or be the MT of an up and coming guild.
zmandude24
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Warrior