Swords or Daggers for PvP?

Re: Swords or Daggers for PvP?

by Rocketeerraccoon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Sigh, I honestly do think that it's annoying that most people want you to always pick a cookie cutter spec because they think everything else is pants. It's like most Rogues don't even have a clue what sort of weapon to use, traditionally Rogues have always been about backstabbing with daggers yet this doesn't appear to be the case. :x
Rocketeerraccoon
Grunt
Grunt

by xwraith » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Rocketeerraccoon wrote:Sigh, I honestly do think that it's annoying that most people want you to always pick a cookie cutter spec because they think everything else is pants. It's like most Rogues don't even have a clue what sort of weapon to use, traditionally Rogues have always been about backstabbing with daggers yet this doesn't appear to be the case. :x

There's good specs for daggers and swords/maces.

31/8/12, 30/8/13 - seal fate
21/8/22 - prep daggers

21/3/27 - hemo, cold blood
17/3/31 - hemo, premed

You can also go combat maces, or hybrid specs or whatever else, they just won't be as good overall as the cookie cutter specs in most situations.

I'm not sure why you're saying rogues have no clue what weapons to use, people have posted builds in this thread that focus on daggers and swords/maces. Both routes are viable, so just go daggers if that's what you want to do.
Hvdgh
xwraith
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Rocketeerraccoon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:22 am

xwraith wrote:
Rocketeerraccoon wrote:Sigh, I honestly do think that it's annoying that most people want you to always pick a cookie cutter spec because they think everything else is pants. It's like most Rogues don't even have a clue what sort of weapon to use, traditionally Rogues have always been about backstabbing with daggers yet this doesn't appear to be the case. :x

There's good specs for daggers and swords/maces.

31/8/12, 30/8/13 - seal fate
21/8/22 - prep daggers

21/3/27 - hemo, cold blood
17/3/31 - hemo, premed

You can also go combat maces, or hybrid specs or whatever else, they just won't be as good overall as the cookie cutter specs in most situations.

I'm not sure why you're saying rogues have no clue what weapons to use, people have posted builds in this thread that focus on daggers and swords/maces. Both routes are viable, so just go daggers if that's what you want to do.

Ah, my bad, I had it in my head that only swords and maces were viable.
Rocketeerraccoon
Grunt
Grunt

by Kraul44 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Somehow people are still confused on the idea that you DO NOT use hemo with daggers. Plain and simple. hemo = non daggers. thats it.
Also, 31/8/12 is extremely underrated IF you do not have t1 5 set yet. daggers heavily relies on 110 energy
Kraul44
Private
Private

by XJ9 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Old thread but I'll post in clarity for some in case the question comes up.

Swords in PvP are very functional with a Hemo spec, typically ran as 21/0/30 to my knowledge. If you wanted you could maybe do a build that incorporates 12 combat points for improved sprint vs like mages. That would look something like 9/12/30 though typically 21/0/30 is ran.

Hemo is BEST DONE WITH A MACE OR A REALLY STRONG FIST WEAPON, most rogues at the highest gear levels choose the Misplaced Servo Arm from Naxxramas though in AQ40 the AQR is good or even the CTS from BWL. This is because Hemo, like sinister strike goes off your weapon damage. It's basically just an instant auto attack if you want to get technical. Not the DPS but the min and max damages. Generally the slower the weapon the better with hemo. The reason why you SHOULD NOT use daggers with it is because daggers have really low damages to compensate for their faster speeds.

Daggers are a very strong choice early on with Perdition's MH or Gutgore Ripper, hell two Felstrikers is really solid also, I remember Shurrik's old pvp video used two. With a dagger build there are four specs typically used, technically three since you'd have to be a mongoloid to run with Vigor compared to Prep.

21/8/22 - This is a backstab build that incorporates Cold Blood and the obvious talents from assassination for clutch "need to crit now" eviscerates. The eight points into combat are for improved gouge and improved backstab primarily, the other two points are fillers. If you're hardcore you tend to put them into Lightning Reflexes for dodge, I use them for Imp SS though if I absolutely can't get behind them due to lag or other reasons I can still attack. Then the obvious talents like opportunity and preparation. Really are no free choices with this spec since you have three solid things to get in different trees.

30/0/21 - Seal Fate Preparation. This is generally used as a higher gear level build when you can have the crit to support the build. Since it's heavily reliant on Seal Fate, you need a lot of critical hit chance to make it shine. Nothing you can screw up here with common sense so you really don't need a calculator link.

17/12/22 - This is a spin off of the 21/8/22 build that trades out four points of assassination, losing cold blood and pretty much your filler points then I think one of Lethality. These points later get reallocated into Combat as fillers and the two points for improved sprint. So you trade burst damage with guaranteed eviscerate crits (again, at higher gear levels cold blood becomes less and less favorable, at high levels of gear with tons of crit it's very meh, whereas early on it's your favourite ability.) for the ability to remove slows and snares on demand without need to vanish. This is especially beneficial, and primarily ran, because of mages getting better.
Anything posted on this account is said on behalf of myself and myself alone. None of my posts are influenced by guild affiliation and any issues you have with me should be taken up with me. Anything positive or negative is said by me, not my guild.
XJ9
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

30/0/21, seriously, as a dagger Rogue ? Without Imp. Backstab ? :/
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Rogue