Stealth & stealth detection

Stealth & stealth detection

by antvixx22 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Greetings rogue community,

As the topic suggests, my questions are about stealth & stealth detection. How much benefit am I actually getting from each point in Master of Deception? How much stealth detection does paranoia give? From what I understand, a rogue gains 10 points of stealth each level. Therefore a level 60 rogue will have 600 points of stealth. I'm currently tinkering around with a pvp spec and I put 3 points into MoD so I can allocate my talents into other places. Therefore making my stealth 630. The main reason this concerns me is because I find myself constantly getting caught out of stealth very randomly. For instance, when I was in AV a lvl 58 hunter was able to scatter shot me out of stealth (he didn't flare me out). This would mean he spotted me even though I had 5 levels of stealth above the stealth detection equivalent to his level. I also get caught out from ridiculous distances by warlocks with paranoia (I'm talking like 20-30 yards). If anyone could provide me answers or a link to a resource that could, it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy ganking,
Antvixx
antvixx22
Tester

Re: Stealth & stealth detection

by Cussler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 pm

The server lags/bugs like a sumbitch when it comes to stealth and stealth detection.

So, hunters with Find Hidden, all humans, and warlocks with felhunters can all-

1. See you suddenly appear the moment you enter draw range, you will poof in about 2 seconds.

2. If you are in BGs, or just because they know you are around... they have added /tar roguename to their attack macro with an instant cast spell/shot.

Thus, they just have to run around spamming it, enter range of the rogue, and boom, they are shot out of stealth.

Also works in PVE, you are welcome to test it in Badlands or any of the satyr nests.
Cussler
Private
Private

by Youfie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:51 am

The Stealth Detection works fine in my experience on Nostalrius.

The lag may not help though, but otherwise, it's fine.

And yes 5/5 MoD is *mandatory* in PvP if you don't wanna get spotted all the time.

Think of Stealth as a profession skill, or your weapon skill, except you don't have to max it out.
Your base Stealth is your level * 5.

A level 60 Rogue has 300 Stealth. MoD grants you 3 points per talent point, i.e. 15 points when 5/5. It means when you have MoD maxed out, it's like you're 3 level higher than your actual level in terms of Stealth. Night Elves have a passive +5 in Stealth (1 level), so they can save 1 point from MoD and still have a better Stealth than other races.

For the purpose of this example, just assume an enemy has a base "Stealth detection" skill of level * 5.

Human Perception is +50 in Stealth Detection (they see you as if they were 10 levels above their actual level), Paranoia ia +30 ; track hidden too iirc, not sure.

An enemy of your level detects you at 15, maybe 20 yards when they're facing you, if you're in a rather large "detection cone" in front of them. With 5/5 MoD, you bring that back to about 3-5 yards, i.e. melee range, roughly.

The rule of thumb formula is therefore something like :
Detection range = 15 + ("Your Stealth Skill" - "Your Opponent's Detection Skill").

So yeah if you don't have 5/5 MoD, an enemy of your level will see you at like 15y or more, even if they don't have any detection bonuses. You need to have MoD to bypass the "natural" detection of a same-level enemy.

And even if you have it, there is basically no way to escape a Human with Perception, they can basically see you from miles away when they use their racial. And facing a Warlock with Paranoia when you don't have 5/5 MoD yourself is suicide, it's like facing a Human with Perception if you had it, almost :p.

Either way, Vanish Rank 2 is like +100 to Stealth, so even Perception can't "pierce" through it, use it to be sure to remain undetected :).

EDIT: Vanish Rank 1 & 2 are actually +170 & 270 to Stealth, which is even better :).
Last edited by Youfie on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by antvixx22 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the info youfie :D
antvixx22
Tester

Return to Rogue