Shadowmeld strength

Shadowmeld strength

by Rimfrostr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm

I'm not sure if this has been posted a million times already, but I've not found any straight answer, so I'll ask anyway. If there already is an answer on these forums, please link me there.

Anyhow, according to http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=743 the effect value of active Shadowmeld is only 50. That would make it about as strong as Stealth is at level 10.
Does Shadowmeld scale in some way, or will it remain at effect value 50 still at level 60?
Rimfrostr
Tester

Re: Shadowmeld strength

by Setup » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:38 pm

It's like having one point in master of deception.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Rilma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Since you can avoid high level patrols (at 60) i'd say it scales.
Rilma
Tester

by Pottu » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:59 pm

That is the active Shadowmeld ability, you need to look at this passive aura:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?spell=21009

Shadowmeld gives you +5 to your stealth whereas each point in Master of Deception gives you +3. A nightelf rogue with 5/5 MoD would thus have a + 21 to their stealth rating. To find out your basic stealth rating, multiply your level by 5. So our nelf rogue at 60 would have a 321 total stealth rating.

How useful is this? Well, Perception gives +50 to stealth detection while Paranoia gives +30 to stealth detection for the party members near the felhunter. Hunter's Track Hidden gives +30 to the hunter as well. Your basic stealth detection is also your level multiplied by 5. It basically cancels the basic stealth that a rogue has, forcing every rogue that wants to reliably sneak around to have at least 1 point in MoD.

A nelf rogue with maximized MoD could reliably get into melee range even from the front of their enemies - but a nelf rogue could also put only 3 points into MoD and be just as stealthy as rogues who maximize MoD - 14 vs 16 bonus stealth - while still being able to put 2 points into something else.

Note that Vanish is the only method to combat Perception, Track Hidden and Paranoia. Rank 1 gives you +170 and Rank 2 +270 stealth rating temporarily. These are enough to counter even a combined Paranoia and Perception but only for 10 seconds.

TL:DR Nelf rogues are the stealthiest rogues around even without any extra trinkets or items.
Last edited by Pottu on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a mistake
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by dustinfll » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Detect lesser invisibility should give you ZERO stealth detection as it only applies to invisibility.

I'm 100% certain this is how it worked in vanilla.

And im pretty sure even if I were wrong in which im not, it was never intended for this buff to be twice as strong as perception.

Detect lesser invis was only useful for spotting people using invisiblity potions or seeing succubus that are invisible.

Freeznfire - Coalition

http://www.twitch.tv/frz_wow
dustinfll
Grunt
Grunt

by Pottu » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:09 pm

You are correct, I'll edit my post above. Stealth detection is aura 17, while Detect Lesser Invisibility is aura 19.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

Return to Rogue