Rogue Duo Leveling Build

Rogue Duo Leveling Build

by EaterOfFromage » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:18 am

tl:dr Looking for a recommended build for a 40 Rogue duo leveling with a feral druid.

I'm currently approaching level 40 and have thus far been leveling towards the 60 pvp build I've seen around ( http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fzxZGcZVMhc ). The focus on crits, backstab, and ambush works well for us - we tend to move quickly between mobs, and we'll often trade shreds/backstabs and aggro, so I usually get multiple chances per fight to BS. However, the 41 talents seem tempting.

At first, I was thinking combat swords. It's universally praised as the leveling rogue build, and I could see it really hitting it's stride at 40 with adrenaline rush and the two blue swords from SM and RFD. That being said, I feel like I'm wasting the opportunity presented by having a tank/dpser to hold aggro while I backstab.

Subtlety is very tempting. Hemorrhage would increase our group DPS, I'd be keeping Opportunity and Imp Ambush, and obviously Prep and Premed. I don't really use many finishing moves now because we tend to down enemies so quickly, but perhaps between Premed and Initiative that would change. I see a lot of synergy here.

Assassination less so. The focus on crits (and high damage ones) is nice, but I just don't know if I'll be criting enough to make seal fate (and thus the other finishing-move based talents) worth it. On the other hand, I could definitely see vigor being useful. I'll frequently find myself having scored a huge crit and waiting for the druid to pull aggro off me so I can backstab, and my energy ticks up to full (or near enough that I just throw a sinister strike so as not to waste), so vigor would definitely enhance this.

Thoughts? Anyone done this before?

Edit: After doing some reading, I'm looking pretty seriously at combat daggers. I'll lose the subtlety tree, but Dagger Spec will make up for the lack of malice, I'll have +hit and +OH damage, keep Imp Backstab, get imp sprint, and of course blade flurry and adrenaline rush. I think this may be a winner, though it would really be tied together if I can get the dagger from the last boss of RFD.
EaterOfFromage
Tester

Re: Rogue Duo Leveling Build

by EasyLee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm

I recommend http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fRxboxZGcMZV

Don't use ambush for leveling because stealth speed is slow and you won't always get it. But 2 Remorseless is mandatory for all rogue leveling builds.

In your case, one rogue agroes, the other backstabs and probably crits, then the first backstabs and probably crits. The mob is already pretty much dead. You take talents that improve your backstabs, chance to crit, and crit damage. That means lethality, opportunity, malice, Remorseless, and improved backstab.

From there, work towards dagger specialization. After that, it's whatever you like since blade flurry won't help much in your case. Alternatively, continue down assassination for cold blood and seal fate:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fRxboxtAoGcZV

Respec at 60 to combat swords 19/32, unless you want to be an imp. Sap hemo rogue. Level 60 starting gear is not good enough for daggers in dungeons.
EasyLee
Private
Private

Re: Rogue Duo Leveling Build

by EaterOfFromage » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 am

I definitely see your point about Ambush and stealth in general. To be honest, been enjoying stealth immensely, even though it does slow things down a bit. My druid partner and I will sometimes engage a battle exactly as you describe, except usually he aggros directly and I sneak in for an Ambush, meaning we don't get slowed to down too much. That being said, I can see how focusing on backstab crits is probably the best position to be in for damage. Unless things change rather drastically and I find myself gathering too many combo points, I think a mix of the two trees makes sense.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fRxboxthZGcV0bxzZV

The only problem is I don't know what I'd go for first... imp kidney shot is actually pretty tempting, because of the bonus damage from both of us. But again, I'm lucky if I even get up to 2 or 3 CP before the enemy is dead, so I just don't know how useful it would be. I think for now I'll just start moving towards dagger spec and blade flurry (I figure I might as well), then spend my fifties getting CB. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Grammar and more info
EaterOfFromage
Tester

Return to Rogue