Rogue Guide by Oto

Re: Rogue Guide by Oto

by Ayag » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Iblis (Razuvious) is considered the next upgrade to Maladath, but I haven't run the maths to show what is the DPS upgrade for equivalent gear (considering the loss of sword skills).

Any idea on my previous post anyone ?
Ayag
Grunt
Grunt

by Setup » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 am

Ibliss is way, way better.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Rouge » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:51 pm

I see Oto has listed Brutality Blade as the BIS offhand atm. But I see a lot of BIS rogues using the ZG offhand. Which is better?
Rouge
Tester

by Dekos » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi there,

I just read this guide (which is really nice!) and the 32 following pages (it was long, but instructing :p) but some points are still not really clear to me :

1. About yellow hit cap

A lot of people on Nostalrius told me that the yellow hit cap is 14%. Any idea why so many people say that, as it seems clear after having read all of this that it's 8 or 9% ?

Second point : in the end, is the following statement true or false : "There is always a 1% chance to miss and a 1% chance for spells to resist in vanilla." ?

Third point, some people told me that this cap depends on the boss we are fighting. Is it true or are all the raid bosses level 63 with 315 skill ?

2. About stats

A lot of people told me : "in sword spec you must favor AP, but in dagger spec must favor crit". It seems like no one mentionned that here. Is it true ? And if yes, what are the reasons, exactly ?

3. About OH weapon speed

I read that instant poison is implemented with a PPM, which means that a fast weapon won't proc more often. I was then wondering : what would be the purpose of having a fast OH weapon ? My guess would be the normalization (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Normalization) which means that a fast weapon benefits more from AP than a slow one. But is it the only reason ? And is it really significative ?
Dekos
Tester

by Bluefear » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 pm

1. About yellow hit cap

A lot of people on Nostalrius told me that the yellow hit cap is 14%. Any idea why so many people say that, as it seems clear after having read all of this that it's 8 or 9% ?

8% for melee yellow attacks. 14% is spell hit cap

Second point : in the end, is the following statement true or false : "There is always a 1% chance to miss and a 1% chance for spells to resist in vanilla." ?

1% chance to miss against NPCs, yes. This only applies to spells

Third point, some people told me that this cap depends on the boss we are fighting. Is it true or are all the raid bosses level 63 with 315 skill ?

All bosses are lvl 63 / 315 defense

2. About stats

A lot of people told me : "in sword spec you must favor AP, but in dagger spec must favor crit". It seems like no one mentionned that here. Is it true ? And if yes, what are the reasons, exactly ?

Not really true. Plug your weapons and armor into Soyeon's spreadsheet to see what is an upgrade for your DPS.

3. About OH weapon speed

I read that instant poison is implemented with a PPM, which means that a fast weapon won't proc more often. I was then wondering : what would be the purpose of having a fast OH weapon ?

Crippling poison is a %chance to apply, so a fast OH is very nice for PvP. Instant poison is not affected. Sword rogues will want a fast OH, since Sword Specialization procs on a %chance and swings with your MH, even if it procs off an OH swing. Dagger rogues do not care about OH speed in PvE.

My guess would be the normalization (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Normalization) which means that a fast weapon benefits more from AP than a slow one. But is it the only reason ? And is it really significative ?

Normalization only applies to instant attacks ie SS, which are main hand swings. You still want a slow MH. It still does more damage after Normalization, but doesn't double-dip from AP scaling
Bluefear
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Just a few things on Bluffer's post :

Instant Poison isn't on a PPM either, it's flat, just like Crippling. And Dagger Rogues want a fast OH too (ceteris paribus).

14% isn't the Spell Hit cap, and slow weapon only do more damage even with normalization ceteris paribus, i.e. with a given DPS. Which means it's actually the damage range being higher which increases damage : the speed itself doesn't increase the AP contribution as it did pre-1.8.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Bluefear » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Youfie wrote:Just a few things on Bluffer's post :

Instant Poison isn't on a PPM either, it's flat, just like Crippling. And Dagger Rogues want a fast OH too (ceteris paribus).

14% isn't the Spell Hit cap, and slow weapon only do more damage even with normalization ceteris paribus, i.e. with a given DPS. Which means it's actually the damage range being higher which increases damage : the speed itself doesn't increase the AP contribution as it did pre-1.8.

Oh shit I had always heard that it was PPM but it looks like it was %chance prior to patch 3.1. My bad. Also 17% is spell hit cap (oops)
Bluefear
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Bluefear wrote:
Youfie wrote:Just a few things on Bluffer's post :

Oh shit I had always heard that it was PPM but it looks like it was %chance prior to patch 3.1. My bad. Also 17% is spell hit cap (oops)

Looks like nobody ever reads the poisons tooltips, it's crazy, you're not the first one to tell me that. How do you even apply them to your weapons without seeing at least once "each strike has a 20% chance"? :D
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dekos » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for the answers guys : very clear, exactly what I wanted :)

I tried the spreadsheet, really useful too.

And for instant poison & PPM, I was mislead by the "Vanilla wow wiki" which actually contains informations post-Vanilla...

So, I'm gonna try a 8% hit build in MC (i.e. 3% from gear) and see if I get any yellow miss. If so, I'll come back here to tell you !
Dekos
Tester

by Oto » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:26 am

I wanna thank you all for contributing a lot of information to the community, u guys made this guide better, even though i wasnt able to change everything (lack of motivation).

I will continue to play on playTBC for now, looking forward to see u guys there aswell or maybe another place in the future. Dont miss to let me know , i like the attention :D.

kind regards Oto
Oto
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Rogue