Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux]

Re: Hunter Macros & Tips

by mousepad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Yes stoneform shits on them so badly its not even funny. Its your anti blind counter, anti poison and anti bleed.

due to stoneform my 39 twink hunter regulary destroys 60 UD shitter rogues 1vs1(something I wouldn't be able to do as a nondwarf because they would blind and get a free restealth)
mousepad
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:29 am

Shouldn't you guys be talking about this in the "best hunter race" thread?
Raziya's Hunter Macros & Tips thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21017
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Kazarak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:10 am

Err... You're correct.
Owning noobs since 1977
Kazarak
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by masterpoobaa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:38 am

For Leveling I just use a simple Hunters mark + pet attack macro.

#showtooltip
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack

Can also include autoshoot in there.
Good with a boar pet - as soon as the mark is up the little nuggety fellow is charging in!
masterpoobaa
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Fey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:15 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:For Leveling I just use a simple Hunters mark + pet attack macro.

#showtooltip
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack

Can also include autoshoot in there.
Good with a boar pet - as soon as the mark is up the little nuggety fellow is charging in!

There is no #showtooltip function in Nostalrius right now.
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 am

Hi again, everyone!

That's another trophy kill for me. Margol the Rager solo at level 46! You can see Glacia's paws under his corpse to the right... but I'm not here to blab about that, just keeping you guys up to date on what I've been up to. :)

I've got another new macro. As I level up, finding space for all my new abilities becomes harder and harder in the comfy little space I'm used to. Thus, I've come up with this:
/script if UnitIsFriend("player", "target") then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Pack") else CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Cheetah") end

If I have a friendly to give Pack, I can use my Cheetah key to easily give them pack. Under any other circumstances, Cheetah is the one that activates, so I don't annoy my party members with constant dazing if in a group and need to switch to Cheetah.

I also recently dinged 300 with my first aid, and needed a place to put my heavy runecloth bandages, so I coupled it with my Scare Beast, which is in a convenient place:
/script if GetUnitName("target")==nil then TargetNearestEnemy() end
/script if UnitIsFriend("player", "target") then UseContainerItem(0, 16) else CastSpellByName("Scare Beast") end

The "UseContainerItem" function takes bags from the right to the left for numbering, followed by slots going in the left to the right. Thus, the function there will take bandages from the slot on the very bottom right of my backpack.

If you haven't checked the OP in a while, go skim over it again! I added a few things to:
- Section 4
- PvE tips
- Useful addons, one of which is absolutely essential for a hunter to have

That's all I have for you today. Happy hunting!
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Xyter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:57 am

Hi Fey, great thread! It's tough sifting through all the macros trying to find good ones that work effectively here on Nos. I'm kind of new to making macros here, but I fiddled with your attack macro and came up with the following:

/run PetDefensiveMode()PetAttack();if CheckInteractDistance("target",3)and(not PlayerFrame.inCombat)then AttackTarget()elseif not IsAutoRepeatAction(3)then CastSpellByName("Auto Shot") end
/run if not buffed("Hunter's Mark",'target') then cast("Hunter's Mark") end

I added "/run PetDefensiveMode()PetAttack();" because I use Q for this macro and I have "/run PetPassiveMode()PetFollow()" on an Alt-Q key bind. The latter makes it much easier for me to control my pet when peeling/pulling and especially when I get click happy and send my pet at the wrong target lol.

I added "/run if not buffed("Hunter's Mark",'target') then cast("Hunter's Mark") end" but sadly, it requires Supermacro to work. It works great though, always casting hunter's mark right as the auto-attack starts.

Hopefully, I'll be able to research this some more and find a way to make it all work without Supermacro and even possibly add a modifier to combine the "/run PetPassiveMode()PetFollow()" into it to free up another action bar slot. Will be tough to get it in under the 255 char limit though, if not impossible.

My interface:

Thanks for everything, I really appreciate your hunter tips..

edit*
Hi guys, I've been gone a while but I recently came back and I tweaked the Attack/Pet/Mark macro and it works great! I was able to get it under the 255 limit, so now it works fine without Supermacro.

/run PetDefensiveMode()PetAttack();if CheckInteractDistance("target",3)and(not PlayerFrame.inCombat)then AttackTarget()elseif not IsAutoRepeatAction(1)then cast("Auto Shot") end if not buffed("Hunter's Mark",'target') then cast("Hunter's Mark") end

Thanks to Fey for this, truly, it was their macro to begin with, I just added the hunter's mark to make 1 less item needed on the hotbars.
Last edited by Xyter on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xyter
Tester

by Fey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:23 am

Thank you so much for your reply! I love receiving input from others on the whole macro thing!

Interesting interface you've got there! Everyone has their own custom keybinds or interface, it seems. You do what works for you!

As for the hunter's mark thing, refer to this list:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Queriable_buff_effects

I used this list to design my Aspect Situational and Aspect Toggle macros, and also for my Shadowmeld macro. Perhaps you could figure something out with Hunter's Mark. If you'd like to discuss it in-game, you know my name and how to reach me! :)
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Bravethestone » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:26 pm

I have a concern with your macros that check range and automatically switch to melee attacking when it comes to PvP.

If you hit these ranged macros on accident you run the chance of breaking your opponent out of a freeze trap, scattershot, or any sort of engineering device that disorients but breaks on damage....which could mean you end up a dead hunter.

The melee and range check components are a bit unnecessary since you start melee auto-attacking after doing a wingclip, raptor, etc which every hunter will have keybinded.

Just something I thought of as I was considering using some of your macros. Decent guide. All-in-one pet is great for minimizing UI clutter.

/script PetFollow();
/script PetPassiveMode()
/script if UnitAffectingCombat("player") then CastSpellByName("Feign Death") end
/cast Freezing Trap
/script if not buffed("Shadowmeld") then CastSpellByName("Shadowmeld") end;
/cast Prowl

Here's one I use for my Feign Death/Freeze Trap so I don't accidentally waste it out of combat. It's got shadowmeld also and a check for not buffed so I don't accidentally remove it by overclicking. You can spam it to lay trap, stealth yourself, stealth cat pet to quickly setup on an opponent closing in on you. Although, when facing certain classes (like mages) its tricky to get them in a trap if you lay it before they get into range...if you're lucky they will blink onto it and get frozen before you get frost nova'd.
Bravethestone
Grunt
Grunt

by Fey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:43 am

I very rarely hit keys I don't intend to hit, and hitting your arcane shot bind accidentally is pretty much the same as hitting a melee macro accidentally, but you definitely have a point! Here's what I have to say on that:

Hard hunter CC is very delicate. Frost trap, scatter shot, wyvern sting, whatever, it's all broken on damage. Our beast fear thankfully isn't necessarily broken on damage, and we have plenty of reasonably potent slows and immobilizing tools in our arsenal. That said, the 'hard CC,' like the stuff that completely stops enemies from doing things, even if it's fragile, isn't really necessary, at least some of the time, but it is useful. If you're having trouble making good use of your hard CC, trying to macro things and clean up your binds so you don't accidentally break it is a good idea, but also try to find alternatives. For instance, a shaman is easy pickings if you don't let them get in Frost Shock range. Another hunter could have a really hard time in melee, especially if you initiate, or if you drain their mana before going in close. Mages can predictably blink into traps as they attempt to fight you up close. Etc. As a night elf hunter, I like to get the jump on people, and that's enabled me to beat quite a few tough players! Any advantage you can get to improve the efficiency of your ability usage and prevent the necessity of such abilities. Y'know?

I don't know too much about Vanilla PvP at this juncture, as I'm still relatively new to Nost and Vanilla, but that's what I've found so far to hold true.
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter