Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux]

Re: Hunter Macros & Tips

by Mugo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Very informative, helpfull and easy to grasp. Thanks a bunch and way to go, Raziya! :D
Mugo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 am

Mugo wrote:Very informative, helpfull and easy to grasp. Thanks a bunch and way to go, Raziya! :D

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad the thread has been helpful to you; it's my pleasure. :)
Raziya's Hunter Macros & Tips thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21017
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi, everyone! I just tamed Broken Tooth :D

So I updated the OP with a new macro for telling your pet to stay, and I modified the pet attack macro a little. Check it out! I've also created a new thread for getting the best abilities for your cat pet. You can find that thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30082

Good luck! :)
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by shakey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Fey, with all your macros and such, what does your UI look like :)?
shakey
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Fey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 pm

shakey wrote:Fey, with all your macros and such, what does your UI look like :)?

On retail, I played an arc / fire / frost mage using macros that would change the abilities on my bars depending on what spec I was in. For an idea of how effective it was, I was able to port back to a city, swap specs, adjust talents, redo glyphs, get my action bars ready, and get back to Hellfire Citadel without summons in about one minute and thirty seconds, with minimal effort. Those macros also doubled as modifier macros, which allowed me to easily bind keys to shift so I could save room on my bars. My UI there looked like this:

I took a few screenies in LFR for a new guild application, since they asked for my in-combat UI, but it never really went anywhere. As you can see, none of the macros are named. I just put a space in the name box, so it would go through without mucking up my bars with annoying white text under all my abilities. The icons and tooltips change if I hold down shift, too, with the #showtooltip command. I keep track of any cooldowns under the shift modifier that are particularly important using an on-screen timer addon.

Here on Nostalrius, I didn't know anything about Vanilla macros when I started, so I set up my bars with actual shift binds.

Same thing with the space in the name box, and I actually prefer the layout this way on this server because there's no #showtooltip command to change the icons and tooltips depending on whether or not shift is held down. Unfortunately, that also means that, because the icon didn't pick itself, I needed to go through the macro menu and look for the right icons for my abilities, as though they themselves were actually on my bar, but it wasn't that bad. Most of the hunter ability icons are all grouped up together.

Aside from making the UI look pretty, and spacing out your abilities on your bars so that you can see them all at a glance without skimming through a cluttered mess of stuff, the idea is to make all your keybinds in comfortable reach of whatever hand you use to hit keybinds. That's why I never go above 5 and use shift modifiers to condense my bars. I highly suggest, if you haven't done so already, going through all of your keybinds and making everything comfortable prior to deciding which abilities should go where.

Hope that helps. :)
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Scrubnub92 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:51 am

Have you been leveling BT? I have him at 37 and was just curious if you or anybody had some helpful advice on leveling him. So far from my brief experience he doesn't gain xp from mobs around his lvl and will only gain 100-200 xp per mobs lvl 50+.
Scrubnub92
Private
Private

by Fey » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Scrubnub92 wrote:Have you been leveling BT? I have him at 37 and was just curious if you or anybody had some helpful advice on leveling him. So far from my brief experience he doesn't gain xp from mobs around his lvl and will only gain 100-200 xp per mobs lvl 50+.

He did gain experience around mobs his own level for me. I have information on great places to level him up in my Bloodaxe Worg solo tame guide, near the bottom of the OP. Here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30082

If you're still having trouble leveling him with mobs around his level, the harpies in Feralas are the lowest level green mobs on that list. Good luck.
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fenric » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello.

Thanks for making this.

I made a new hunter and noticed the melee macro will toggle autoattack off. I find I am pressing the macro just before Raptor Strike comes off cooldown and my character just stops attacking and I have to press it again. Sorry, I'm not very good with macros.

Also, does anyone use Chronometer on their hunter? It's not fading the bars properly for me when a mob dies, so the hunter's mark timer ticks down the full duration for example. I have the fade options enabled for it, so no idea why it's behaving this way. Is there another addon with the same functionality that is working for anyone?
Fenric
Tester

by Fey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:07 am

Fenric wrote:Hello.

Thanks for making this.

I made a new hunter and noticed the melee macro will toggle autoattack off. I find I am pressing the macro just before Raptor Strike comes off cooldown and my character just stops attacking and I have to press it again. Sorry, I'm not very good with macros.

Also, does anyone use Chronometer on their hunter? It's not fading the bars properly for me when a mob dies, so the hunter's mark timer ticks down the full duration for example. I have the fade options enabled for it, so no idea why it's behaving this way. Is there another addon with the same functionality that is working for anyone?

My pleasure! :)

I'm not sure why it's toggling attack off, but putting a /cast Attack line in there somewhere should fix it. I think. Maybe. I spam my abilities so I never really noticed if it turns off. I'll have a look the next time I'm online, and get back to you if I find any bugs.

I've been looking for a good addon to keep track of stuff like traps. Does Chronometer normally work well for you? If you find any great alternatives, I would be happy to hear your input.

Good luck!
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Fenric » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Fey wrote:I've been looking for a good addon to keep track of stuff like traps. Does Chronometer normally work well for you? If you find any great alternatives, I would be happy to hear your input.

Good luck!

As I mentioned the version of Chronometer I could find wasn't properly fading Hunter's Mark when the target died. There's options to enable/disable that but it wasn't working for me.

I'm using Nature EnemyCastBar 5.0.0 now but I am not familiar with it. It shows Serpent Sting but there is a delay after the attack lands and the bar shows up. If you re-apply the dot before it expires, the bar messes up and doesn't refresh the countdown. It doesn't track Hunter's Mark either.

I'm only level 10 so I can't test anything very well. Vanilla leveling is not quite what I remember.
Fenric
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter