Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux]

Re: Hunter Macros & Tips

by Fey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Mm. Yeah, sorry, I dunno what else you could do. I hope you find a way around it or get used to it soon. :)
Raziya's Hunter Macros & Tips thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21017
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by cozeh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:29 am

Hi Fey,

I'm from Australia and I basically sit at around 300ms, do you think I'd be better served to play hunter over a rogue? I just know how tight things need to be for hunter in order to keep up with other classes.

Also, does the auto-attack timer you've provided take into account latency?

Cheers
cozeh
Private
Private

by Fey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 am

I tend to sit at around 100-200 ms, personally. It's not too bad for me.

Melee classes may need to make more calculated moves in raids. A rogue, for instance, may have to sprint out on Shazz as soon as the curse is out, or vanish the moment a rogue class call goes out on Nef. Hunters have to deal with stuff like tranq shot rotations and kiting, though, so, you know, maybe it depends on which you're more comfortable doing.

Rogues are fun and sort of similar to hunters in that they're versatile and have powerful burst and CC, only they're in melee rather than at range. Personally, I would recommend a hunter, but you know that I'm biased!

I'll explain why a little more objectively, though. Usually, hunters don't really have much that's truly important for them to do in a raid environment. And, their roles can usually tolerate a little bit of lag. We can do decent damage, but no one really expects that from us, so we can sometimes get away with lower damage numbers and no one seems to bat an eye. Rogues on the other hand are kind of the standard melee DPS, kind of like how mages are kind of the standard ranged DPS, kind of. I don't really know about a rogue's damage rotation, but I know melee DPS have to be precise at times in their positioning, and that can be difficult with consistent lag. Hunters are a pretty chill class. We can hang out in the back, pew pew a little, and if we really want to, we can be a pretty good contributor to the raid in DPS and utility. Positioning isn't difficult or necessarily precise, except in a couple of choice encounters (like Chromaggus), and as a ranged DPS you more often have both time and foresight on your side to know where you should be and when you should move.

...That isn't to say that you have an excuse to be lazy, or you shouldn't try as hard, or that hunters aren't difficult to play optimally, but just that there's a lot of room for error. Y'know?

But, don't let that stop you from playing whichever class you truly want to play. These are just my two cents, from my perspective.

As for whether the auto attack timer I have provides for latency... I'm not sure how a timer could account for that, but it does help you account for lag. With the timer, and a little bit of feeling for the sort of lag I've got, I can reliably tell when my Auto Shot is going out and how long the cooldown is. I just have to be a little more aware of the time, myself, is all. I'd recommend getting it anyway, seeing if you can get a feel for your weapon's attack speed and get a margin of error on the timer, and then using that timer (with the margin of error taken into account) to time your abilities as usual. It may be possible to, despite your lag, time your abilities precisely with good input judgment.

Hope that helped!
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by TheWorld » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:50 am

i have a question please , for the auto shot macro :

you said that we have to change the number based on where we put the macro on the action bar

for me it's on the 2 , so i changed IsAutoRepeatAction(3) into IsAutoRepeatAction(2)

but should i change CheckInteractDistance("target", 3) into CheckInteractDistance("target", 2) too ?
TheWorld
Tester

by Dreez » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 pm

TheWorld wrote:i have a question please , for the auto shot macro :

you said that we have to change the number based on where we put the macro on the action bar

for me it's on the 2 , so i changed IsAutoRepeatAction(3) into IsAutoRepeatAction(2)

but should i change CheckInteractDistance("target", 3) into CheckInteractDistance("target", 2) too ?

no, CheckInteractDistance is a range indicator where 2 is 11.11yards and 3 is 9.99yards
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Fey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:37 am

Yes, what Dreez said. Just change the part you mentioned. :)
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Afectar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey guys. Got a question.Fey, I've seen much interest in your macro:
Raziya wrote:
/run local i,x=1,0 while UnitBuff("player",i) do if UnitBuff("player",i)=="Interface\\Icons\\Spell_Nature_RavenForm" then x=1 end i=i+1 end if x==0 then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Hawk") else CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Monkey") end

So, it properly works like castsequence macro from TBC. ( By the way I use my through modifiers at the moment. So I'll steal your :) )

The question is where to get certain meanings like Interface\\Icons\\Spell_Nature_RavenForm
For another spells, like if i want to swap between xheetah/pack in the way you do with Hawk/monkey aspects.
Afectar
Tester

by Fey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Ah, there's a table for that somewhere. Hang on a sec...

Found it. Here you go:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Queriable_buff_effects
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Afectar » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:42 am

Done with my cheetah\pack, this one seems to be more comfortable for me, since u dont have to target any friendly unit to get pack, just simply switches between Cheetah\pack aspects pressing 1 button.

/run local i,x=1,0 while UnitBuff("player",i) do if UnitBuff("player",i)=="Interface\\Icons\\Ability_Mount_JungleTiger" then x=1 end i=i+1 end if x==0 then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Cheetah") else CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Pack") end

In addition wanna add some modified macro which are comfortable to use for someone.
As a example i'll show up my previous monkey\hawk macro.

/run local x = IsShiftKeyDown(); if x == nil then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Monkey") else CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Hawk"); end;

So this 1 works like that, if u have that macro binded on 1 button, it will activate aspect of monkey just pushing 1 button, and if u press Shift+1 it'll activate hawk, it's also comfortable cause u know that it'll activate certain spell whenever u need it.
Afectar
Tester

by Fey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 am

I used modifier macros all the time on retail. The reason I don't use them here is because the damn tooltip won't change. :) You have good taste in macros.

The reason I use a friendly-target Cheetah / Pack macro is so that I can toggle Cheetah comfortably in combat and not have to have a second bind for Pack. My auto run is bound to middle mouse, so I can target someone, auto run, and enable Pack all at once.
Fey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter