Where to train specific ranks of pet skills

Where to train specific ranks of pet skills

by Lord_james46517 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 am

I can't be the only one having trouble with this.

In case you didn't know, the offensive abilities you pet has (e.g. bite, claw, charge, etc.) all have ranks. If you tame an animal at level 10, and use him until level 60, you need to learn higher level attack ranks to keep his DPS up. The problem is that doing this is complex. You can't just train the higher ranks from a trainer, like you would with growl. If you want, for example, rank 4 of bite, you need to go train a separate beast and use him and the ability for a while to "learn" the skill. Then you can teach it to your actual pet. Think that sounds complicated? It gets better. Not all animals have or can teach you these skill. if you want rank 4 of claw, you need to find one of a specific set of bears to learn it.

I remembered all this coming into Nost. The problem I had was that I couldn't find a resource that told me where to learn these things in vanilla. That is, until today. Today, I found an old forum post that gives one beast to learn every rank of each pet ability you can't learn from the trainer.

Here's a link: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/3463/t8 ... -4-hunter/

Happy hunting

PS, tell me if there's a better resource. I couldn't find anything that applied to 1.12, but I'm pretty terrible at finding things online.
Lord_james46517
Private
Private

Re: Where to train specific ranks of pet skills

by Lord_james46517 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

I hadn't even thought of web archive to find vanilla info. That's genius.
Lord_james46517
Private
Private

by Graken » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 am

I use an addon called Hunter Pet Skills.

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/project-208/

It lets you look for skills in game using a slash command. Lets say you are looking for claw rank 3. Just type:

/sk claw 3

In your chat window it will list what level your pet needs to be to use that rank. Then it will list each animal that you can train to learn that rank, what zone they are in, and what level they are.
Graken
Tester

by mparmenter13 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:14 am

Hey guys, hoping to re-open this thread because I recently tamed a Lurker level 18 in Loch Modan because it apparently has the Bite 3 ability. However, after about 1 hour of feeding and killing mobs, I still have nothing to take from this pet.. It's still sitting at Rebellious stage even when sitting at Green Loyalty level.

I remember that learning the skills from pets typically took a few attacks on mobs, never an hour of me grinding for nothing. Anyone having the same issues or know where I may be at fault?

Thanks for your help! :)
mparmenter13
Tester

by DeeMarie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:48 am

It's possible that ability is incorrectly missing from that particular mob. All my skills I got reasonably quickly.

It does appear you are correct:

http://web.archive.org/web/200608250958 ... l-bite.htm

As for loyalty, it does take a while to get from Rebellious to the next level. Have you tried Beast Lore on it?
Nostalrused...
DeeMarie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by mparmenter13 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

DeeMarie,

Unfortunately I am level 18 and won't have access to Beast Lore until level 24. There could be a chance the mob does not actually have that skill, because I also recall the learning those abilities fairly quickly.

You should not have to be out of Rebellious loyalty for that skill, from what I remember?

I can always try finding another pet with that ability (trying to make my Rake pet OP) :) Thanks for your help!
mparmenter13
Tester

Return to Hunter