how to heal <60

how to heal <60

by flowison » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:38 pm

hi
i have read the stickies and other sites, but couldnt find so much about this topic.
i am currently lvl 34 shadow specced.

- should i heal with "lesser heal" or "heal"?
- when tank has low hp i use shield + "flash heal"
- always renew on
- can i use downrank spells when i dont have +heal gear?

thx!
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: how to heal <60

by Pipes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Hm, my retail priest (TBC/WotLK) is far away.
The only thing i remembered was, if the tank relies on rage (war/bear), skip the shield.
Keep the HoTs updated but all other stuff, pure situational.

Just my 2 copper and worth just 1. ;)
Pipes
Grunt
Grunt

by flowison » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Pipes wrote:Hm, my retail priest (TBC/WotLK) is far away.
The only thing i remembered was, if the tank relies on rage (war/bear), skip the shield.
Keep the HoTs updated but all other stuff, pure situational.

Just my 2 copper and worth just 1. ;)

yeah, i only shield warr/bear when they are about to die.
but what is the main heal?
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Ana » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 pm

If you don't have any +healing gear, then the mana-to-health ratio for each heal is basically the same. In this case you're generally better off using big heals every now and then rather than small heals continuously, because big heal - break - big heal etc etc allows you to regen mana outside of 5 sec rule.
Since your current biggest heal usually covers +/- half of tank's hp, this changes when dungeons become a bit more hectic. In BRD you don't want to wait till the tank has 40% health before healing, that's suicidal. Of course you won't have 0 +healing forever, you should have around +100 from damage gear alone around lvl 50-55. So some downranking becomes viable. Once you start downranking, you'll probably want to use heal r3 until you accumulate enough gear to make heal r2 useful.
Don't shield people unless you fucked up and they're about to die. That's about the most mana inefficient spell you have. Same for flash heal, only in emergencies. Renew is okish if you have 3/3 improved, otherwise waste of mana also. Really, if your tank isn't a complete fuckwit running around in lvl 15 greens, most dungeons up to BRD require nothing except an occasional lazy heal. Get a good wand, you'll improve the group's dps significantly :P
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by flowison » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Ana wrote:If you don't have any +healing gear, then the mana-to-health ratio for each heal is basically the same. In this case you're generally better off using big heals every now and then rather than small heals continuously, because big heal - break - big heal etc etc allows you to regen mana outside of 5 sec rule.
Since your current biggest heal usually covers +/- half of tank's hp, this changes when dungeons become a bit more hectic. In BRD you don't want to wait till the tank has 40% health before healing, that's suicidal. Of course you won't have 0 +healing forever, you should have around +100 from damage gear alone around lvl 50-55. So some downranking becomes viable. Once you start downranking, you'll probably want to use heal r3 until you accumulate enough gear to make heal r2 useful.
Don't shield people unless you fucked up and they're about to die. That's about the most mana inefficient spell you have. Same for flash heal, only in emergencies. Renew is okish if you have 3/3 improved, otherwise waste of mana also. Really, if your tank isn't a complete fuckwit running around in lvl 15 greens, most dungeons up to BRD require nothing except an occasional lazy heal. Get a good wand, you'll improve the group's dps significantly :P

let me get this straight:

<lvl 60 with low gear (no +heal) i use "heal" (with highest rank) or "greater heal" (as soon as i get it from trainer). when i have more +heal on gear i can go for downranked "heal". (r3, r2)

- the point with renew and shield sounds logical.
- can i totally forget "lesser heal"?

is it good, when i can heal about 30% of MT life and always wait that he drops <70% for my heal?
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Ana » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:22 pm

All correct. Overhealing is a waste of mana in low level dungeons, mobs generally don't do shit to the tank :P
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by krarox » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:54 am

Hi!
One thing i have noticed that works nice (im lvl 49) is after i have healed tank to max i put 1 renew( i have talnted imp renew 3/3) right after tank is max health.This almost always make me get a couple of extra mana tics in before i have to heal again. Without renew i have noticed i have to go back healing faster -->interrupting manareg. Every second after the 5 seconds that i can stay away from healing is worth so much more.
The difference between not healing for 6 sec/vs 8 sec is 1 vs 3 tic of manareg ( this was just example to illustrate).

I cant say this is the right way but for me it work really nice
krarox
Tester

by Amelissan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 am

Answering this correctly is very hard, since there is no correct answer.

Too many variables to be considered; your itemization, your play style, instance, damage type/amount/frequency, Tank's class/items/spec etc. etc.

You may try different routes every instance such as;

- Keeping tank %80+ by using smaller heals

-letting tank got %40-35 then using big heals which lets you take advantage of mp5 mechanic (which i mostly use, but can become quite boring and monotonous after getting proficient with it.)

-Using multi ranks of spells (which i dont see any point at that stage of your character since spells heal/mana ratio wont make any difference w/o +healing)

or many other possibilities, but as a priest you will go oom a bit faster then the other classes <60 since you have an arsenal of heals and priest is being the top healing class making use of spirit.

Anyways you should experiment with your class and find your way out.
Amelissan
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ana » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:54 am

Bottom line is healing low level dungeons is so piss poor easy that you can get away with just about anything (maybe except being vastly underleveled). So just do it however you like.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by gotmilk0112 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:10 am

There is no "main heal" that works for every healer.

You have to look at the healing values on each heal and decide which one to use, to heal different amounts of health. It's just something you have to learn through experience, you can't really be told it.

Yes, you will have different ranks of the same healing spell on your bars. That's vanilla healing for you.
knotic wrote:wait this is 2015. blizzard didnt do this in 2015. year is non-blizzlike omg omg
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Next

Return to Priest