Vanilla Priests, I need you!

Vanilla Priests, I need you!

by Dividends » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 pm

I played in Vanilla, but I was an IBS wielding ret paladin that didn't understand ANY concept of the game. I am making up for being an utter failure and opting to play a Holy Priest (Dwarf no less). If anyone is really bored and wants to compile useful information for a new VANILLA PRIEST that would be great.

Things I would like to understand

-Down ranking, what spells? What ranks? Gear based?
-PVP, WHATDOIDO?!?! WHATDOIWEAR?!?!
-Solo'ing content (farming dem goldz)
-Etiquette (DONT SHIELD THE WARRIOR NUB)

I know I can probably find this all out through hours of forum digging and checking various sites, but I also know some people on this server are VERY knowledgeable about Vanilla and wouldn't mind smoking the devil's lettuce and writing me a nice beefy guide to get me up to par with the elite old schoolers. I cant be the only lazy person, so you might bag a sticky if that's what you're into.

Generic cookie cutter advice is fine, I can figure out nuances along the way.

Thanks... or not. We will see.
Dividends
Tester

Re: Vanilla Priests, I need you!

by flowison » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Dividends wrote:I played in Vanilla, but I was an IBS wielding ret paladin that didn't understand ANY concept of the game. I am making up for being an utter failure and opting to play a Holy Priest (Dwarf no less). If anyone is really bored and wants to compile useful information for a new VANILLA PRIEST that would be great.

Things I would like to understand

-Down ranking, what spells? What ranks? Gear based?
-PVP, WHATDOIDO?!?! WHATDOIWEAR?!?!
-Solo'ing content (farming dem goldz)
-Etiquette (DONT SHIELD THE WARRIOR NUB)

I know I can probably find this all out through hours of forum digging and checking various sites, but I also know some people on this server are VERY knowledgeable about Vanilla and wouldn't mind smoking the devil's lettuce and writing me a nice beefy guide to get me up to par with the elite old schoolers. I cant be the only lazy person, so you might bag a sticky if that's what you're into.

Generic cookie cutter advice is fine, I can figure out nuances along the way.

Thanks... or not. We will see.

i am a dwarf priest level 39 atm.
- leveling specc:5/5 imp wand, rest shadowtree
- basic rotation: MB, SWP, wand to death
- you can heal all low level dungeons easily.
- just use your biggest heal and renew.
- spec holy with 60.
- get +heal gear. when you have enough, you can use low rank spells.

my2cents
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Dividends » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 pm

I am level 60, but thanks for the input homie.
Dividends
Tester

by imabaer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 am

PvP, especially 1 on 1:
CC is generally what will kill you. If you're dying to burst damage faster than you can heal through and there's no CC involved, you're either out of position or undergeared vs. the other team. Or you've been mortal striked.

Know the class you're playing against, paying very special attention to hard CC (fear, poly, stun) and interrupts, as well as whether they can break fear or not. Know how badly they can burst you down. If you know your opponent is halfway decent, bait out interrupts. If your holy school gets interrupted, you are SOL. Mind Control in a 1v1 situation (with HoTs and DoTs ticking) can be a great way to do so; if it lands, your spells finish while they can't act, so it may be better for them to counter it. Other than that, learn when to feint healing. Many players will interrupt that yellow glow on reflex, and if you cancel it faster enough, their interrupt will whiff.

Dispel is amazing and probably one of your most important spells in a PvP team fight. You can screw the other team's gameplan over really badly with dispel, which is one of several reasons why they will be gunning for the priest first. Pop their shields, break polymorph and fear on your teammates, unfrost your melee, basically be as irritating as possible.

PvE:

Rule of thumb with downranking: the more you can get away with, the better. You're almost never going to need a heal that does more than 50% of the MT's max HP. You're also going to want to find a "workhorse" heal that you can spam for maximum efficiency (generally a rank of Heal, or GHeal rank 1/2) while not losing too much throughput.

Flash Heal and Shield are very inefficient, but they're amazing in emergencies.

Renew also has a solid niche; it's a great buffer that you can cast while repositioning.

It's easy to get bar hypnosis, meaning you just start seeing the healing bars and not paying attention to what's happening on screen. Don't. Watch where you're standing, pay attention to line of sight and range, and always be aware if the enemies are moving unexpectedly. Get used to clicking on an enemy that's breaking off from a tank, pressing your PWS hotkey, then pressing assist. You will save lives that way, sometimes your own.
imabaer
Private
Private

by Dividends » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:36 pm

That's some good info, thank you!
Dividends
Tester

Return to Priest