Priest Leveling Guide

Re: Priest Leveling Guide

by whitenoise » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks for the guide Fisher. I appreciate that you took the time to spell it out here for us. I've been able to roll through mobs so easy using the wands/spirit tap.
whitenoise
Tester

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Ana wrote:
Forcerius wrote:I guarantee that I can kill a mob just as fast as a mage if I spam mind blast + SWP, with the nearly the same amount of mana.

I guarantee that you'll spend 2x more mana than the mage.
Someone's been bitching about lack of actual testing not 3 sentences earlier, I recall?

Gosh, I love how people whine about lack of logic and then proceed to throw in five fallacies within three sentences...

I actually butted in because I read through the OP's guide again and 2 things came to mind -

1. Which faction did you level in?
2. You list a bunch of wands best for specific levels. Half of them are BoE random drops. Do you honestly expect a leveling priest to spend dozens of gold pieces to get any of them at all? Because the general point about "good wand for your level for killing mobs fast" is kinda moot if you can't realistically afford most of them. 90% of leveling priests will be stuck with Gravestone Scepter until they get the green wand from STV, for instance (which isn't even good).

Except that I've tested it while playing next to mages. So your entire argument is invalid. And every priest can afford a lesser wand, greater wand, cookie's, then gravestone, because the first two wands can be made by the player themselves with professions and mats they get from leveling, as he explained. And the latter two are necessary upgrades from dungeons. And you can't get "stuck" with the gravestone scepter because its the best item you can get at 19 anyway, by far. And it lasts for over 10 levels after that.
studyquran.org/resources/Quran_Reformist_Translation.pdf
Submission to God alone and doing good work is the only path to Paradise.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Forcerius wrote:Except that I've tested it while playing next to mages. So your entire argument is invalid.

Except that I've tested it by leveling two priests* and several mages, lots of data to compare. So your argument is invalid. ;)
Getting the point yet?

As for wands, the early levels ones are certainly fine. But try affording, say, Starfaller AND Jaina's Firestarter AND a mount.

* similarly to what the guide describes with realistic (gear, pvp enviroment) constraints
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Ana wrote:
Forcerius wrote:Except that I've tested it while playing next to mages. So your entire argument is invalid.

Except that I've tested it by leveling two priests* and several mages, lots of data to compare. So your argument is invalid. ;)
Getting the point yet?

As for wands, the early levels ones are certainly fine. But try affording, say, Starfaller AND Jaina's Firestarter AND a mount.

* similarly to what the guide describes with realistic (gear, pvp enviroment) constraints

Then I don't share your opinion. And Starfaller isn't even necessary with comparable wands like Necrotic or Greater Mystic Wand. http://db.vanillagaming.org/?items=2.19#0+2+1 - The green wand is only 2 DPS less and it would be stupid to buy an expensive BOE wand for a priest you're leveling to 60 anyway. So if you leveled a priest that way then you didn't spend your money well.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Forcerius wrote:Necrotic

Imo running SM 20 times for the rare to even bother spawning doesn't exactly fit into "priest levels fast" idea.

Forcerius wrote:Greater Mystic Wand

As good as Gravestone.

Forcerius wrote:So if you leveled a priest that way then you didn't spend your money well.

Nah I leveled with whatever wand was readily available instead of spending hundreds of gold on current level bis, and so I wasn't killing mobs as fast as a mage (unless I mindblasted on cooldown, which isn't the best use for mana)
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Ana wrote:(unless I mindblasted on cooldown, which isn't the best use for mana)

Oh, so you CAN kill stuff as fast as mages, thanks for proving my point. And the spirit regen will keep your mana high. So what are you arguing for again? And upgrading wands is irrelevant because the point is you can find a decent and affordable wand regardless of what lvl you are. The OP just pointed out how good the low level ones are and how easy you can get them at low levels.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by smilkovpetko » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 pm

mindblast on pull + shadow word pain (with spirit tap talent 5/5) = wand and bubble if you get attack

gg , easy , fast and never oom .

ana is just toxic if you disagree with him so you better don't bother with ana at all.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:26 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:mindblast on pull + shadow word pain (with spirit tap talent 5/5) = wand and bubble if you get attack

gg , easy , fast and never oom .

ana is just toxic if you disagree with him so you better don't bother with ana at all.

Yeah i'm contradicting my own advice by arguing. And I use the same rotation as you, only because it doesn't seem worth the global to mind blast between wanding. How do you feel about 5/5 imp wands though? I've heard people say its necessary, and I leveled with it so far, but maybe those points could be used elsewhere.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Forcerius wrote:Oh, so you CAN kill stuff as fast as mages, thanks for proving my point.

While spending 2x more mana, yes. Since you had spamming mindblast in mind, thanks for proving mine, I guess? I do recall you mentioned you'd spend similar amounts to a mage which is bullshit.

The OP...
- claims priests kill things fast if their wand is up to level
- lists wands that are up to level, half of which are BoE and thus expensive
- tells you then that you need to be careful spending gold so that you can afford a mount asap (very sensible)
- ... still claims priests kill things fast

If you can't see the logic fail in this, I really don't know how to make it more clear...

On an irrelevant note, @up has got to be the first post from smilkovpetko ever that isn't full of bullshit. He probably avoided making outrageous claims so that he could jump into the conversation and bitch about me, though. I fuckin hate clever trolls
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Forcerius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Ana wrote:
Forcerius wrote:Oh, so you CAN kill stuff as fast as mages, thanks for proving my point.

While spending 2x more mana, yes. Since you had spamming mindblast in mind, thanks for proving mine, I guess? I do recall you mentioned you'd spend similar amounts to a mage which is bullshit.

The OP...
- claims priests kill things fast if their wand is up to level
- lists wands that are up to level, half of which are BoE and thus expensive
- tells you then that you need to be careful spending gold so that you can afford a mount asap (very sensible)
- ... still claims priests kill things fast

If you can't see the logic fail in this, I really don't know how to make it more clear...

On an irrelevant note, @up has got to be the first post from smilkovpetko ever that isn't full of bullshit. He probably avoided making outrageous claims so that he could jump into the conversation and bitch about me, though. I fuckin hate clever trolls

I argue that the spirit regen will outweigh the inefficiency of mind blast. And that even wand DPS without spamming mind blast is comparable, however you define "comparable". OP isn't saying priests have the highest DPS in general, but that wanding is relatively fast by comparison. And the part of the guide for wands is still valuable at least to level 30, because all the wands take minimal effort to obtain. lvl 5 / 15 green wands are easily obtained with self farming / professions while you're leveling. Then you could even skip cookies wand and get gravestone at 18 with higher level clearing BFD for you. And if that's still not practical, then the other blues listed between 15-30 are because there's no better options. So either you level with greens, or run a few instances, despite temporary efficiency loss to make up for it later with a higher dps wand. Same problem with the BOE wands. Either you buy them and waste mount money, or use a green / lesser wand. So he only listed them because they're the best relative options.

I just noticed you said this too "Btw fear is better than PWSing before pull. Cheaper." - That's a good idea I never thought about, thanks. Assuming you have the room to fear.
Peace be upon you.
Forcerius
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Priest