Spell Hit vs Spell Crit: The argument is over.

Re: Spell Hit vs Spell Crit: The argument is over.

by Guybrush » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Wosser wrote:According to http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... ent-209440 its legit.

Its blizzlike, but it was considered a bug and it later got fixed in 2.0.1.
They should fix it on nost IMO, 100% apply chance was always the intended behavior.
Guybrush
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by justclassic » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:23 am

Guybrush wrote:
Wosser wrote:According to http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... ent-209440 its legit.

Its blizzlike, but it was considered a bug and it later got fixed in 2.0.1.
They should fix it on nost IMO, 100% apply chance was always the intended behavior.

If its blizzlike then they should just keep it the way it is regardless of it being originally intended or not.
justclassic
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Botmaster5 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:13 pm

justclassic wrote:If its blizzlike then they should just keep it the way it is regardless of it being originally intended or not.

if that was true, we'd still have our DS/MD/Ruin build.. RIP
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Cousy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Botmaster5 wrote:
justclassic wrote:If its blizzlike then they should just keep it the way it is regardless of it being originally intended or not.

You mean the bugged spec that got fixed in 1.12? 1.12 blizzlike should be the goal, not 2.0.1 blizzlike on a vanilla server.
Cousy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Botmaster5 wrote:

Indeed, it was fixed in 1.12 :).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Setup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 am

Three things.

(1) It's pointless to do math for 8 debuff slots, we'll be moving to 16 very shortly. Save yourself the effort.

(2) As a number of people have pointed out, the OP's calculations ignore the considerable damage provided by improved shadow bolt. I did expected damage calculations for this problem three years ago. I'll spare you three pages of math. Once the ISB buff can stay up reliably, crit has a very slight edge over hit.

(3) The answer does not matter. This game doesn't have the itemization necessary for you to take this information and make any meaningful decisions. Warlock upgrades are incredibly linear.

Here are only thing you need to know about hit vs. crit:

- Emphasize hit if you want to maximize your own damage on meters. A lot of the damage of your crits are distributed amongst the raid via ISB.
- Emphasize crit if you enjoy PVP, since excess hit in PVP is wasted itemization.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Wosser » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 am

Yeah, in 99% its obvious which item is the best, but sometimes not, for example Talisman of Ephemeral Power vs Briarwood Reed vs Eye of the Beast.
If they change it to ISB not beeing resistable, hit loses a tiny bit of value.
Wosser
Grunt
Grunt

by Guybrush » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 am

Setup wrote:- Emphasize hit if you want to maximize your own damage on meters. A lot of the damage of your crits are distributed amongst the raid via ISB.
- Emphasize crit if you enjoy PVP, since excess hit in PVP is wasted itemization.

Emphasize hit if you have smartass rogues using shadow oil and Gutgore Ripper taking up all the stacks.
Guybrush
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Setup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:46 pm

In the very few cases where the answer is not immediately obvious, the answer is almost certainly unimportant. All you really need is a ballpark figure of how much SP to value hit/crit, which you can get from the theorycraft addon.

In the spirit of min:maxing, I understand that's not a very satisfactory response, but it's worth understanding that in comparing close calls, like TOEP to Briarwood, we're talking about a difference of ~100 damage by the time the boss is dead.

That's nothing to lose sleep over. The pros and cons of on-use trinkets should be obvious as well.
Setup
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Botmaster5 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:55 pm

My 3 regular use trinkets are ToEP, Reed, and Eye

Fully buffed to the tits (world buffs, full raid consumables), I use ToEP and Reed
Raid buffed, I use ToEP and Eye
5-mans and solo I use ToEP and Reed
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Warlock