Too much threat?

Too much threat?

by Stringbean » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:43 am

Hello fellow locks!

So I just found a completely dope one button macro that makes Affliction Lock leveling a breeze.

Here's a link to that: https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic. ... ilit=macro
The guy that made this needs infinite praise.

But anyways, I've found that even before I started using the macro, I've been creating way too much threat for my poor voidwalker to handle, and no one likes getting aggro. With the new macro, having a mob attacking you really screws with it's efficiency.

So I implore you, my brothers in darkness, have any of you found good ways to manage threat with a voidwalker? I have his torment as an auto cast at the moment and I only use DoTs and drain life for mobs, but I still pull mobs off him all the time.

Any advice is appreciated :)
Stringbean
Tester

Re: Too much threat?

by Soulxlock » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:49 am

Have you updated your voidwalkers taunt with the newest ranks via books? If not buy the appropriate Grimoire of Torment book for your level from the Demon Trainer.
Soulxlock
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Stringbean » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Yeah, I've been updating it consistently throughout leveling
Stringbean
Tester

by Vikterion » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 pm

The voidwalker's threat is not enough, and doesn't scale. It will barely be enough to keep dots from pulling agro, and then you have to wait for his mana to regenerate. You are better off drain tanking while leveling, and eventually using an imp with dark pact.
Vikterion
Private
Private

by Numi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:08 am

I know this is a necro, but read the stickied post, you never want to fight mobs solo while leveling, or if you do, just afk and let dots deal with it. That's the most efficient way to level as a warlock.

Basically you'll pull with voidwalker -> DoT target 1 -> pull next with voidwalker -> DoT target 2 -> drain soul target 1 -> pull next with voidwalker -> dot target 3 -> drain soul target 2 -> etc. This means you'll basically always be fighting two mobs, and you're killing at close to maximum efficiency.

I pair this strategy with +spirit gear, but I haven't level'd a warlock since +spell damage was added, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of +spell damage gear.

With the mentioned multipulling and some experience leveling warlocks I think I can beat the old world record for speed leveling, 4 days 20 hours to max on an empty server.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Warlock