Soul Link

Soul Link

by Lifealert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 am

Is Soul Link dispellable and if it is, is it blizzlike? I don't know what patch this video is, but I'm pretty sure the warlock gets dispelled multiple times in fights and does not lose Soul Link : http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=235593
Lifealert
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: Soul Link

by Darkwinjax » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm

lookin like a school shooter when i walk into these halls
Darkwinjax
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lifealert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks. First time playing a caster in vanilla so I don't know these things, nor was I willing to spend 100g to find out. I'm pretty sure it becomes non dispellable in tbc.
Lifealert
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Darkwinjax » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 pm

It's a terrible spec, you can even dispel soul link from the felhunter directly, skipping alot of buffs normally, since most warlocks retarded enough to play soul link are also retarded enough to not protect it with thrash buffs.

It becomes non dispelable in TBC along with a nerf to 25% instead of 30% dmg reduction (I think, not sure).
Darkwinjax
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lifealert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Darkwinjax wrote:It's a terrible spec, you can even dispel soul link from the felhunter directly, skipping alot of buffs normally, since most warlocks retarded enough to play soul link are also retarded enough to not protect it with thrash buffs.

It becomes non dispelable in TBC along with a nerf to 25% instead of 30% dmg reduction (I think, not sure).

20%, but powerful due to resilience. SL SL soon.

Yeah I know it's a terrible spec, but you can have fun with terrible spec.

I once did an AV spec which was 4/5 shadowmastery and 2/2 pyroclasm. Some laughs were had when I would stun whole groups of horde running into our towers.
Lifealert
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ravni » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:08 am

For about half of retail vanilla soul link was actually a 50% (!!!) dmg absorb and was a magic buff ability on the lock that could be directly purged/dispelled. Shortly before AQ opened (patch 1.8 w/ emerald world dragons) it was lowered to 30% and it could then only be dispelled from the pet, not the lock. Your pet could also just spam cast it off the gcd each time it got dispelled, so no big deal unless you were getting focused down as a flag carrier or something. Just like conflag, it's a fun-spec for pvp, and it is a lot better on horde-side.

The video in the OP was taken after the patch (can tell from Silithus fights), so dispelling the lock would have done nothing. The Roguecraft 2 video was released before patch, so footage would have been from the earlier version when it could be directly purged from the lock.
Ravni
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Darkwinjax » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:29 am

Ravni wrote:For about half of retail vanilla soul link was actually a 50% (!!!) dmg absorb and was a magic buff ability on the lock that could be directly purged/dispelled. Shortly before AQ opened (patch 1.8 w/ emerald world dragons) it was lowered to 30% and it could then only be dispelled from the pet, not the lock. Your pet could also just spam cast it off the gcd each time it got dispelled, so no big deal unless you were getting focused down as a flag carrier or something. Just like conflag, it's a fun-spec for pvp, and it is a lot better on horde-side.

The video in the OP was taken after the patch (can tell from Silithus fights), so dispelling the lock would have done nothing. The Roguecraft 2 video was released before patch, so footage would have been from the earlier version when it could be directly purged from the lock.

I did not know this, very interesting and I also didn't know that you couldn't dispel it directly from the lock, was under the notion it could be purged, still a terrible spec.
Darkwinjax
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Drain » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:09 am

It's funny seeing this idiot from previous threads call my build "retarded" and "terrible" while I actively pwn people covered in epics using said build(on a scrub that's never raided, mind you). Maybe you should try things first eh? You regularly shun things on these boards you don't seem to know anything about. Soul Link is actually powerful as hell in PvP. I ran it back in Classic and I'm running it again now for BGs. If I cared to, I could go into higher ranks with it. I regularly kill raid geared Alliance. Hell just earlier I ran into 1vs1 with a fully decked out raid Warlock that fired his fancy raid SP trink and "still" lost vs me. This kind of shit happens every BG I go into. Keep in mind my alt Warlock that don't raid has zero purples except the AV book and BoE Felhearts. Other items include such classy equipment as Sergeant's Cloak, Blood of the Martyr, 2/8 Dreadmist(armor bonus ftw), and Stormrager. I have weak SP and no Bloodvine either. Point is Soul Link kicks fucking ass.

For builds there's either 20/31, or 9/31/11, both of which are competitive. Personally I prefer 20/31, because Paladins do not have Earthshock, meaning I don't have to worry about having my tree locked as often. I just fish for Nightfall procs(with a green fishing pole). The second build is less vulnerable to cs because Shadow Bolt will cast in 2.5s(half the channel time of Drain Life) and you don't have an overly obvious bright green beam announcing to the entire world that your spell tree is open. But I like sucking people down, especially when all of these Chinese in my late night BGs are too god damn stupid to Pummel/Kick my spells.

When it comes to the dispel... yes, Soul Link can be dispelled, but they have to hit the PET, not the player. I remember this from back in retail, and I tested it for Nostalrius. Whether you are Alliance or not though, no one ever tries to dispel a pet, so basically Soul Link will never be dispelled. I only ever lose my Soul Link when the pet gets banished(HF with 180 resist), dies(most common), or despawns with lease range.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lifealert » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:22 am

Drain wrote:*large block of text*

So you are confirming that the pet has to be dispelled in order for soul link to be removed from the player. This is what I wanted to know because on other default mangos servers they could just purge the warlock.
Lifealert
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ravni » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Oh that reminds me, banish also correctly removes soul link on this server. Curse of shadows + grenade on pet to avoid spelllock -> banish is very effective if the lock doesn't have 5-pc tier1/2 for resists (and/or shadow resist buff/aura on the felhunter). Banish seems to work for the full 30 seconds on pets once it lands even against high resists and I don't think I've ever seen a heartbeat resist on a banished pet. So it's basically game if you land it.

Assuming no other SR buffs, and with resist down to ~100 from CoS, the Felhunter only has about a 25% chance to resist, and you get 2x free banish casts from a grenade stun. This becomes more effective once you get 50+ spell penetration at later gear levels and enemy locks stop using 5pc tier2.
Ravni
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Warlock