Leveling imp

Leveling imp

by Lazocar » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:07 pm

I want to level with my talents in demonolgy so I can get Soul Link ASAP then go afflication.
Is it posible to level demonology with imp pet and with points in improved imp or should I just level with voidwalker?
Lazocar
Tester

Re: Leveling imp

by Drain » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:29 am

3/3 Imp and 3/3 Void are both worth having. You use the Imp in groups and the Void out alone, so there's little reason not to slot both on a leveling Warlock.

Soul Link I do not recommend before 60 however. Those 10 points are coming out of your Affliction, which means no Siphon Life, and Nightfall 10 levels late. You're already defensive enough with 2/2stone, 3/3void, and the ability to instant summon another void in combat for a shield. Soul Link is mainly a BG tool at 60, and not that useful for leveling.

Pre 60, you can either have your 3/3void tank, which is decent for the 20s and 30s, or tank yourself with Siphon Life/Demonic Sacrifice (stacking both 50+). The health regens are the way to go.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Numi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:00 am

Read viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14455

It's much better than Drains advice, drain tanking is slow and leaves you vurnerable much more often than voidwalker.

There's also a massive disadvantage to going improved imp, you get 9% less stamina, you want and need that to survive ganks while leveling, it's much much more important than 30% improved imp, which in general turns out to be useless.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Drain » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:22 pm

It's not useless when you use the pet. The STA bonus also does very little unless your gear is good. If your gear is shit, then it's +9% of shit. You actually get more out of the stone and shield, because they are flat values. But you can very well get all of these in the 17 points for Master Summoner, so I don't see why it needs to debated. See below.
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#IA0bVZfxuzM
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Numi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 am

Since the mana pool of an imp is super hard to find details on, I've extrapolated a couple of numbers from level 63+ in tbc, as those were the only ones I could find.

An imp at level 35 should have roughly 1000 mana (I'm being generous here), http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=16317 costs 50 mana and does 33-38 damage, or 35,5 on average.

After you invest 3 talent points in to the imp talent, the imp does on average 46,15 damage per fireball.

Let's say the imp has 80 spirit, that means that the imp will do a total of 23 DPS until it is out of mana, at which point it'll do a whopping 6 DPS!

Now let's see how much those talent points actually gave you:
DPS before oom: 46,15 - 35,5 = 10,65 / 2 = 5,325
DPS after oom: 6,6 - 5,07 = 1,53

So realistically speaking, if you're being efficient, you just payed 3 talent points for 1,53 DPS. That's utterly useless and the imp is equally useless.

I strongly recommend you spec the spec suggested in my earlier reply, but if you want to play a demonology imp, sure, go ahead.

Oh and both the mana pool and the spirit of the imp is extremely generous and I've completely ignored resistance chance in these calculations, the actual DPS gain should be less than 1.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Nikoru » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:51 am

Why are you two even discussing shit like that? The OP asked for a (effective) way of levelling and for sure you'll not at all use the imp for that. If you're levelling effective (aka asap) you'll never even do dungeons etc, just stick with the voidwalker and a keybind for the major abilities (don't toggle autocast).

As for specs, you can just not set any point at all in any talent and you'll most likely be fine.
你好,我叫库鲁
60级术士
#1 DPS服务器
Nikoru
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ShaqPack » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:36 am

Drain tanking with the succubus ftw. Just turn all of her autocasts off when you get dark pact. With drain tanking, the idea is generally you want to get some +shadow damage gear, dot up a mob, fear it, and begin attacking another mob and repeat. Howl of terror and death coil for when it gets rough. The cooldowns are so short that you can use them liberally. The succubus can seduce any gankers. Just dotting up one mob and killing it before moving on to the next is too slow though.
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Numi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 am

ShaqPack wrote:Drain tanking

Drain tanking is much slower than voidwalker + improved drain soul, plus more expensive gearwise.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Botmaster5 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 am

Lazocar wrote:I want to level with my talents in demonolgy so I can get Soul Link ASAP then go afflication.
Is it posible to level demonology with imp pet and with points in improved imp or should I just level with voidwalker?

you can honestly play however you want. my wife is leveling her first warlock and loves her imp. play how YOU want to play.

however, if you are asking just for raw efficiency, then VW is the best thing you'll have at your disposal to get the job done
<Titans of War> Xashe
"Behold those who have power, and who are not afraid to wield it. Behold... the warlocks!" - Gul'dan
Botmaster5
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Lazocar » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Ok so imp is no go, I'll go with void, Will void hold aggro if I go aff till improved Drain Soul, then demo till improved voidwalker and all rest to destruction?
I know that it is not mana effician but afflication is so boring.
Lazocar
Tester

Next

Return to Warlock