Balance Druids Relevant in raiding?

Re: Balance Druids Relevant in raiding?

by Chevejo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:33 am

As a moonkin u need a ton of Major Mana Potions and Dark runes to compete on T2 Bosses. First Pot needs to be thrown after 5-6 Starfires. After that on cooldown. If u can do this, moonkin is totally viable. Sadly most moonkins dont give a shit what results in poor overall dps and raidleads dont wanna give a try for a real boomkin
Chevejo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Noselacri » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Setup wrote:However, for the small handful of players who realize that min:maxing is not necessarily to thrive in this game, it's tolerable to bring along a moonkin if that's what someone wants to play. It's not so bad that it'll tank your whole raid, and the lack of damage is partially recoverable with the utility of a battlerez/innervate.

The reason most guilds won't hire any of these specs is not so much min-maxing, it's more that unless you know the player already and trust that they'll make an extra effort to compensate for their weak spec, can you be sure that someone who chooses to play one of the worst specs in the game is actually trying his best?

I mean, some will. There are players who just really love balance druids or enhancement shamans or whatever, and will put in that 110% effort that makes them perform okayish. However, if you don't know that this is the case, is it sensible to invest in a player about whom the only thing you know for certain is that he chose the slowest car to race in? What are the odds that he's going to work extra hard to make up for it? In the majority of cases it's simply a player who doesn't care about doing well, and that's not someone a raid leader will be eager to bring to a raid, even if it's easy-peasy vanilla content. It's a matter of principle. You want to recruit people who strive to put in the best possible performance, and such players will almost never choose to play balance druids.

Oftentimes, the guild's token enh/ret/balance/feral is someone who's been in the guild for a long time and has been allowed to reroll into that spec because everyone knows him and trusts that he'll do his best, but that same guild wouldn't dream of recruiting one of them from the public.
Noselacri
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ShaqPack » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:55 am

Others have said it but you've gotta be prepared to use WAY more consumables then a mage or lock would ever use just because they have ways to regain mana that druids do not. Another big problem - lack of hit and crit through talents. While there is stuff such as ZG craftable gear, it's still really bad because that stuff lacks stats - you really need that int and hopefully a bit of spirit too.

It is theoretically do-able and there have been a few cases, but for the few guy's that have made it work, far far more weren't able to. You also gotta make sure you're in a guild that's cool enough to let you get those precious +hit pieces.
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Charizard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 am

A huge owl cannot be irrelevant
Charizard
Grunt
Grunt

by Viorus » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Charizard wrote:A huge owl cannot be irrelevant

QFT! 3% crit buff for heals and spells in vanilla is OP as fuq :P
Viorin, 60 Night Elf Druid (USA), Knight-Champion

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Syphonize » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:12 am

Perhaps a more off-beat question, but could you play Balance without Moonkin? Moonkin buffs everyone else in your party, but in terms of personal DPS, it doesn't actually do much. I had a couple ideas of where else I could spend my points, and this might certainly not be very relevant in raiding, but it's just an idea!
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Arev » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Syphonize wrote:Perhaps a more off-beat question, but could you play Balance without Moonkin? Moonkin buffs everyone else in your party, but in terms of personal DPS, it doesn't actually do much. I had a couple ideas of where else I could spend my points, and this might certainly not be very relevant in raiding, but it's just an idea!

with regards to raiding I don't understand how you could 'not' get moonkin form and consider it a dps increase.

for overall damage in a raid, moonkin form would be the talent that increases it the most. Giving every person in your group(including yourself) 3% crit is worth more than any other talent point in the druid tree.
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Syphonize » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Arev wrote:
Syphonize wrote:Perhaps a more off-beat question, but could you play Balance without Moonkin? Moonkin buffs everyone else in your party, but in terms of personal DPS, it doesn't actually do much. I had a couple ideas of where else I could spend my points, and this might certainly not be very relevant in raiding, but it's just an idea!

with regards to raiding I don't understand how you could 'not' get moonkin form and consider it a dps increase.

for overall damage in a raid, moonkin form would be the talent that increases it the most. Giving every person in your group(including yourself) 3% crit is worth more than any other talent point in the druid tree.

I said the idea would not be relevant in raids. I said in terms of personal damage (PvP or so?).
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Arev » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 pm

Syphonize wrote:
Arev wrote:

I said the idea would not be relevant in raids. I said in terms of personal damage (PvP or so?).

I must have overlooked that line when I was reading

for pvp you could make some sort of spec that goes deep enough into balance for vengeance, nature's grace, moonglow and still be able to heal.
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by sumail » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 am

My biggest issue with moonkins is how do you gear them? Like do you allow them to take really good caster loot over a warlock/mage? Or do you just let them get the scrap gear none of your core casters want? Most guilds will probably just give you the scraps that none of the core casters want. I'd say if you want to play moonkin you should be an unselfish player and realize that you will probably be last on loot priority for pretty much all of the caster gear. Knowing that you should ask yourself if you want to raid knowing you might not get much compared to if you played warlock / mage. Personally if I wanted to play a caster dps I'd just roll mage / warlock.
sumail
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Druid