Blue Dragon Theory Craft

Blue Dragon Theory Craft

by rummi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:58 pm

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19288

How much mana, in terms of average Mp5, will this card give you in a fight and how is this related to your character's stats and the characteristics of the fight?

I assume:
1) Constant cast rate(casts per sec) not dependent on the length of the fight
2) 15% mana regen in combat (druids with t2 bonus will have more)
3) Staying in the 5 second rule for the duration of the proc

Given these assumptions your average Mp5 is only determined by your spirit and cast rate. For a baseline cast rate I used 1/2.5 which is equivalent to casting healing touch rank 4 constantly, this is 100% in the table and everything else is just a percentage of the baseline. You can see the average mp5 in the following spreadsheet,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cvwn4pF1pF_IUc9pDpCWOYyuZWYM63bt9S3NYiX1EbA/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see in fights with high cast rates this card is better then shard of the scale, but in fights with low cast rates it is not very good. Note that mp5 is an average, since the card is random I can't tell you exactly how much mp5 you will gain.
rummi
Private
Private

Re: Blue Dragon Theory Craft

by Norjak » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:45 pm

It will be more effective with classes who have shorter cast times, since they will benefit more from the proc rate.
The only Druid heal with a short cast time is Rejuvenation which is instant-cast but also mana intensive.
I don't think the mana-regen rates & +healing which are currently obtainable are enough to make this trinket BiS at the present gear level (anyone who is trying to sell one is welcome to disagree with me.)
I've heard of people healing Naxx with higher +healing bonuses & mana regen from gear, and also the idol from T0.5 questline - I might try that combo when the idol becomes available.
Last edited by Norjak on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by rummi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:49 pm

If you think shard of the scale is bis then the blue dragon is bis, it is simple math that blue dragon is better on average in fights where you cast constantly (given my assumptions).
rummi
Private
Private

by Undertanker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 pm

It is a very good trinket for longer fights. Like all gear it is situational. People always look at gear feom I always have it on perspective which is wrong.

For MC, scale would ve better or +healing as fights are short. If it is a fight you are decursing on, or removing poison as well, use it.

Bwl good on razor, not good on val, not great on broodlord as raw healing/crit is needed there. Great on drakes and chromag, best on Neff.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Undertanker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 pm

This will excel more and more as you get healing gear with all three stats, stam int spirit. Most run BiS pre raid blues do to the raw healing on those items and most lack spirit.

Great trink for priest/,druid though, but not if you are in all blues/non spirit stays.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Doofoos » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 am

Guys, i've just tested this trinket for around 7 mins of non-stop r1 reju spam and noticed that it DOESN'T PROC ON REJU CAST! :shock:
I've googled hard and found that it should proc on every spellcast, not on hot-ticks obviously, but reju cast is still a spell cast, even if it's instant.
Any disagreements?
PS did a few more tests and find out interesting thing ... it does proc on Insect Swarm ticks, i even recorded a video proof :shock: This is a serious bug, and i will report it later this night.
Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by rummi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 pm

I cast rejuv 252 times and no proc, there is only a .6% chance of that assuming it does proc on rejuv cast. I wonder if this is true for other instant casts.
rummi
Private
Private

by Doofoos » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:40 pm

rummi wrote:I cast rejuv 252 times and no proc, there is only a .6% chance of that assuming it does proc on rejuv cast. I wonder if this is true for other instant casts.

I've reported 2 bugs of that trinket 1 hour ago
19288 Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon - does not proc on instant casts.
I can confirm it does NOT proc on druid spells cast: Rejuvenation, Faerie Fire, Abolish Poison. I asked few priests, and all of them can confirm it does NOT proc on Renew spell cast.
I can't find 100% proof for that case, only indirect proofs:
2006 year - http://www.wowhead.com/item=19288/darkm ... n#comments
2008 year - http://www.plusheal.com/home/m/1833799/ ... most-views
Comments are mentioning usefulness of this item for using spells like druid hot's and Renew.

19288 Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon - does proc from Insect Swarm DoT tick
It should proc on initial applications of DoT spells, initial application of HoT spells, successful spell casts of negative spells, and successful spell casts of healing spells BUT NOT on the DoT\HoT spell ticks, like Rejuvenation Tick or Moonfire Tick.
Video proof of this item procs on DoT tick effect from Nostalrius - https://youtu.be/ElvPFcvQQwc
Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Lardin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:46 pm

wish i had seen this before throwing away 500 g for this piece of trash.

doesnt proc on renew or shadow word pain. it is therefore not much more than a blocked itemslot in my bank in case the french ever get to fix it. it's worse than mindtap talisman atm.
保卫马厩 贸易胜 赚美元
DEFEND STABRU TRADE WINS EARN DORRARS
Lardin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lorilay » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:24 am

As with any mp5 gear, it's only worth it if you actually use the mana it saves you. If you finish the fight without being close to oom, you're better off with a +heal trinket.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Druid