Resto Druid Tips?

Re: Resto Druid Tips?

by Doofoos » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 pm

In almost every guide i've seen, from almost every druid i've heard the same thing
Stereotypic Clichés about a Druid wrote:Regrowth = unefficiency. Never use it!

Guys. In our case, mana unefficiency doesn't mean that spell inefficient itself!
Let's go and try to heal BWL trash with "mana efficient" Healing Touch, and then find yourself in healer list at Raidstats at 6-9 position, which is depends on shamans\priests numbers in your raid. If other healers are geared and skilled, most of your HTs will overheal the chain-healed\flash-healed targets.
Syrma wrote:- I don't wanna say harshly that trash healing is unimportant, but it kind of is

I can't say for others, but it was important for our guild on progression, especially on trash packs after Broodlord in BWL.

Months ago, when i planned to start as a druid at Nost opening, i was scared about a future of "healing touch spam machine" as everyone told me. But i decided for myself that i will try to find a way to be a real druid as it should be - with hot's and interesting gameplay. Well, in my opinion i succeed, because i really enjoy to heal as a druid.
Do not scare away others with your stereotypes. It could be the reason why druid is less populated class at Nost.
Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Taladril » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Doofoos wrote:
Taladril wrote:Wall of text about healing spells mana efficiency.

I know that Healing Touch is the most mana efficient spell, and Regrowth is very unefficient (you can easily check it in SWStats without any special calculations and theorycrafting), but that's not the point.
Point is, that for 90% of the time (on trash), im using most mana-unefficient healing spell, and im still compete with priests and shamans for top1 healer place in our raid.

Yes because you have effectively discovered the Druid Flash Heal. Flash Heal is perfect for sniping everyone to get top on the heal charts and obviously your guild is able to progress for now with how you are all specced. However raids get longer and harder and and your spec will be really hurting for mana. Additionally with better and better gear, a build around healing touch will be more and more appealing. And at late game, because of how it all pans out, Druids will be top by default so you won't have to worry about your charts as much.
Stop worrying about the meters. Druids right now are at the bottom of the healers but in later game that will change.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Doofoos » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Taladril wrote:Stop worrying about the meters.

Tbh i worrying about hots in future content. According to t3 set bonuses reju+regro might be very usable in Naxx
Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Taladril » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Doofoos wrote:
Taladril wrote:Stop worrying about the meters.

Tbh i worrying about hots in future content. According to t3 set bonuses reju+regro might be very usable in Naxx

Absolutely. By that point in development, Blizz understood itemization and they did a good job optimizing gear to the class and content. That's why you see such love with idols and set bonuses. Good luck raiding.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by jaredp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Taladril wrote:
Doofoos wrote:
Taladril wrote:Wall of text about healing spells mana efficiency.

I know that Healing Touch is the most mana efficient spell, and Regrowth is very unefficient (you can easily check it in SWStats without any special calculations and theorycrafting), but that's not the point.
Point is, that for 90% of the time (on trash), im using most mana-unefficient healing spell, and im still compete with priests and shamans for top1 healer place in our raid.

Yes because you have effectively discovered the Druid Flash Heal. Flash Heal is perfect for sniping everyone to get top on the heal charts and obviously your guild is able to progress for now with how you are all specced. However raids get longer and harder and and your spec will be really hurting for mana. Additionally with better and better gear, a build around healing touch will be more and more appealing. And at late game, because of how it all pans out, Druids will be top by default so you won't have to worry about your charts as much.
Stop worrying about the meters. Druids right now are at the bottom of the healers but in later game that will change.

Why are you criticizing the guy for playing the most effective spec at this point in time? Who cares what will be more efficient months in the future. Play the spec that will give you the best performance given the available gear, the demands of the content, and your skill as a player.

Doofhoof is ranked #3 for druid effective HPS in BWL on the server. He's obviously on top of his game, and has done something innovative to rise to the top. And do you honestly think a player of this caliber would be so shortsighted that they fail to see a change in demand of the content?

Stop telling druids to be so complacent with their class. Good druids are topping meters right now by pushing their class to the limit, using all the tools available to them.
jaredp
Private
Private

by Taladril » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I am not criticizing him. I am bringing up a discussion that can help every druid in general. Obviously he is a knowledgeable and capable healer. However... and I say it for multiple reasons.
Most people don't understand builds. They see someone topping meters and just want to cookie cutter it to do it themselves. If they don't understand why it works in certain spots but is not good for the long game then they can't learn and be more effective.
HPS charts are as close to garbage metrics as you can get. DPS ones are fine ish. With heal charts, a good guild of people who know what they are doing take less damage than less skilled guilds. You can't force damage to be taken in a raid. If it happens you heal it. If it doesn't then you try to find anything you can to do in the meantime.
I looked at the top 10 healers on Alliance and Horde in MC (there are a lot less people in BWL so it is not as complete as a sampling). Not a single one of them were from NOPE or Dreamstate. Well those are the top guilds on the server. Why do their healers suck so much? Because the rest of the raid is doing their job so the healers literally have less total heal capability given to them. Playing the meter game is such the wrong focus for healers. We need to maximize mana usage and mana regeneration (when possible) while keeping people alive and tanks topped off. It is always important to put in 100% effort but worrying about the meters or rankings or guild comparisons with healing especially is such a fool's errand.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Draenin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 am

What the hecky, are you two talking about. Doofoos is completely in the right here and only faglords would advocate to completely ignore apart of their class, don't be a faglord. Though to be honest, looking at healing charts to see if something is "good" is bad, healing charts do not tell a full story and are practically null in my view, doubly so for Druids.

But yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that Druids can't do anything but spam healing touch and battle-res. If you are just call them a retard.
Draenin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Syrma » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 am

I would say both are right in their own way. It's not really good to advise a newcomer, who does not know much about the vanilla resto druids, that Regrowth rank 3 will make you one of the better healers in the raid. Which is why Taladril came into the picture and tried to mathematically prove, that HT is more effective, especially with bad gear. The thing is if you have 5pcs of T2 and are farming BWL+ with your guild, you should not be asking tips on how to play resto druid, unless you were a total ignorant the whole way to get there, slacked like hell, got carried, bought the char etc.

No need to get offensive imo, I enjoy these discussions and outside-the-box thinking versus raw math.
Syrma
Grunt
Grunt

by Taladril » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:08 am

Yeah I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything. I'm just trying to show that a spec built around Regrowth is not as sustanable or efficient as one that focuses on healing touch. And also to give a heads up to people that higher levels depend more and more on healing touch being the bread and butter. There's a reason why it's mentioned as the way to do it. Doof's spec is interesting. I don't agree with it but it works fine, especially for raid healing.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hammersplat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:52 am

Doofoos wrote:
Months ago, when i planned to start as a druid at Nost opening, i was scared about a future of "healing touch spam machine" as everyone told me. But i decided for myself that i will try to find a way to be a real druid as it should be - with hot's and interesting gameplay. Well, in my opinion i succeed, because i really enjoy to heal as a druid.
Do not scare away others with your stereotypes. It could be the reason why druid is less populated class at Nost.

I like this quote, my druid just got to lvl 60 and I'm not gonna stand around doing HT4 and innervating priests. I love the fights where everyone takes damage and i get to rejuv spam. Will give downranked regrowth a go this week.
I noticed my healing was better in a pug MC because there was more ppl to heal than in my guild run.
Hammersplat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Druid